Medical Marijuana User Demands Gun Rights - Page 4

Medical Marijuana User Demands Gun Rights

This is a discussion on Medical Marijuana User Demands Gun Rights within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Own a gun and a marijuana card = OK Carry a gun in public while "high" on anything, including marijuana = Not OK KISS...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Medical Marijuana User Demands Gun Rights

Own a gun and a marijuana card = OK
    Carry a gun in public while "high" on anything, including marijuana = Not OK

KISS
    Xader likes this.
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    Own a gun and a marijuana card = OK
    Carry a gun in public while "high" on anything, including marijuana = Not OK

KISS
    I believe one of the key reasons marijuana isn't already legal is that there is currently no technology equivalent to the breath-o-lyzer(tm). They can determine if you've smoked some weed as far back as thirty days ago using a variety of techniques including hair samples. That said, there is no way to determine if someone is "high", and to what degree.

With alcohol, they use a very simple test that calculates blood-alcohol levels. It gives you a decent idea of how that person's motor skills are being impaired. Field kits for blood-alcohol testing are cheap and fairly accurate. Pot smokers are only arrested for possession, not for "being high". They can't really determine that with any accuracy.

I realize the last discussion on this topic was back in April and I wish I'd seen it back then. But, I have a question and maybe someone has an opinion or suggestion. I've been taking a pain relieving medication for several years for what's called "nerve pain" from an old injury. The medication I take is one of those you hear about people stealing from pharmacies all the time. (My doctor prescribes it and I buy mine at the pharmacy.) I take a medium dose and it helps with the pain. It doesn't work as well as it used to, but I haven't asked for an increased dose and I've been taking it for so long that I don't feel any side effects. It doesn't cause drowsiness and it doesn't seem to slow down my reaction time or cause problems with my thinking process. I don't have problems driving and I've never had a reason to operate heavy equipment

I've been carrying concealed for the past 4 years and I practice at a local range at least once or twice a month. Although I'm getting older, I can hit the center of the target pretty well.

My question is this, if I were in a situation where it became necessary to draw and fire my weapon to protect my life or the life of my loved ones, would a prosecutor or the bad guy's attorney make a big deal out of the fact I take this medication? I don't drink alcohol or use marijuana, but maybe that wouldn't matter in a court of law.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Micah

VIP Member
    Yes Micah, the thread is rather old although I too was in your situation and eventually I decided to stop my regimen. After a few weeks I noticed a subtle improvement in my coordination and it continued to improve over time. Previously I did not feel I was compromised but the results were unmistakeable. Its just the insidious nature of certain meds over time. Personally, I feel it would be very similar for users of MJ.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

If you are involved in a SD shooting it is in your best interests that you have no mood or mind altering substances onboard legal or otherwise,if it becomes known that you use drugs in any form and do so on a dauily basis a Prosecutor can use it to influence a jury,and if you get a jury of mom and pop retirees and business owners you could end up in a really bad place
    9MMare likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    While I understand the initial knee jerk reaction, I dont understand why the huge uproar and feelings based responses. In my opinion alcohol is far worse than pot, but I am allowed to consume alcohol at my residence and have a gun too. If the state has approved medical marijuana then the Sheriffs must uphold that law regardless of their feelings towards pot. Just like any other medicine though, caution should be used around firearms (or machinery or vehicles) until it is known how the drug will affect you.
    Bottom line is medical marijuana is legal, therefore they have the same rights as anyone else.
    I don't use drugs, unless prescribed, and I seldom drink...but I have to agree here. Legal is legal! One has to decide for himself or herself if guns and "whatever" should be mixed at a particular time.
    Just because I've had a couple of beers in the hot tube, or some pain med after some surgery...I don't think my 2A rights should suddenly disappear.
    I do believe that there is some value in the pot used as medication for some things (and I do realize that the ability to get med marijuana is highly abused), never-the-less...if an individual has the script for some meds, he/she should still be able to use his firearm for protection while exercising some common sense.OMOYMV
    Old School likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Have at it pot users. Goes for the alcohol users as well. Use your firearm and don't forget to turn the light out on your house and your belongings and your bank account once the "shootee" sues the iiving daylights out of you. Oh, did I forget if you are drunk or stoned, have a nice time in jail. You can do what you want but just be willing to face the consequences; seems to be lost in this country these days--everything is someone else's fault--ask George Bush.

ITW
    I don't support the blaming of inanimate objects for the behavior of human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Have at it pot users. Goes for the alcohol users as well. Use your firearm and don't forget to turn the light out on your house and your belongings and your bank account once the "shootee" sues the iiving daylights out of you. Oh, did I forget if you are drunk or stoned, have a nice time in jail. You can do what you want but just be willing to face the consequences; seems to be lost in this country these days--everything is someone else's fault--ask George Bush.
    Politics aside, I don't think I can recall any case where a victim involved in a legitimate SD shooting was later charged by the DA or sued by the "shootee's" family because he/she had alcohol/pot/meds in his/her system.

Perhaps you can cite such an anecdote.
    RETSUPT99 and 9MMare like this.

Well, for once we agree on something MadMac.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Willis is not only packing a concealed handgun permit in her wallet, she also has a medical marijuana card. That combination has led the local sheriff to try to take her gun permit away.
    Everyone is concentrating on the wrong thing I believe. They are not trying to take away her rights for being under the influence they are trying to take them away because she has been prescribed a drug. Having a prescription does not make you high.
    How many of us are forced to give up our rights when we are given a prescription for a controlled drug? Do you turn in your drivers license when taking drugs that specify on the label not to be taken when operating machinery?

It seems that some believe that because there is no reliable test to show that you're high on pot that the government should be able to assume you are high. The fact I cannot prove something should not shift the burden of proof onto the accused.

Michael
    Hopyard and 9MMare like this.

haha. That article is about a 54 year old gun toting, pot smoking granny?!
    Are we talking bout Medea!?!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Politics aside, I don't think I can recall any case where a victim involved in a legitimate SD shooting was later charged by the DA or sued by the "shootee's" family because he/she had alcohol/pot/meds in his/her system.

Perhaps you can cite such an anecdote.
    My very thought...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Nothing has yet to convince me there is any need for medical marijuana. When the California medical marijuana lobby listed "writers cramp" as enough reason to get a prescription for marijuana,well it just seemed to me to be a thinly veiled loophole so potheads would'ent get poped.

I say they can have there dope or a CCW-- NOT BOTH!

ITW
    Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    Nothing has yet to convince me there is any need for medical marijuana. When the California medical marijuana lobby listed "writers cramp" as enough reason to get a prescription for marijuana,well it just seemed to me to be a thinly veiled loophole so potheads would'ent get poped.

I say they can have there dope or a CCW-- NOT BOTH!
    Some people feel the same way about guns and CCW.

The fact is some people will always misuse things. IMO, that's not a good reason to ban the use of such things by the responsible.

Of course this is a political issue and what's at the heart of what's wrong in this country. And what's wrong is narrow subsets of constituents are constantly lobbying and corrupting politicians for their way or the highway, or prison at taxpayer expense in this case.

I see nothing in the 2nd amendment that is an 'or' or a 'but'. Nor do I see any reference to a plant that up until 1937 was perfectly legal.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links