Medical Marijuana User Demands Gun Rights

This is a discussion on Medical Marijuana User Demands Gun Rights within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No different than any other drug, the problem is you can accurately say "hey you're drunk" and then test someone for it. Can't do that ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Medical Marijuana User Demands Gun Rights

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    No different than any other drug, the problem is you can accurately say "hey you're drunk" and then test someone for it. Can't do that pot really.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

ITW
    Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    No different than any other drug, the problem is you can accurately say "hey you're drunk" and then test someone for it. Can't do that pot really.
    Why would being under the influence of such substances change the circumstances under which someone is allowed to use deadly force against another?

In South Carolina there is a certain provision of law that allows the use of deadly force by an intoxicated individual.

The problem with marijuana is it is an illegal substance. The circumstances behind this illegality is problematic at best. This means that under the law of most states anybody that possesses or uses the substance is in essence prohibited from possessing or using firearms in any legal form. That means if you lawfully protect yourself against an intruder in your home, the mere presence or suspected use of marijuana over the last month (or longer) is admissible and could easily turn your self defense case into a murder rap.

Again, I say within reason the answer is to legislate behavior, not blame inanimate objects.

Using such logic, one could easily ban the use of alcohol by everyone because it impairs judgment. Or similarly blanket ban the use of firearms by anyone that consumes alcohol. IMO, this is not the consistent application of the law. But instead the blanket ban of Constitutional and legal rights of a certain demographic. Granted a demographic that's often held in great disrepute by the majority and for many different reasons. Similar to the illegality that accompanied the prohibition of alcohol in the 1930's.

I don't have an answer to the drug, substance abuse problem in this country. But I can differentiate the difference between those who are out to make a buck and protect their turf at all costs, and individuals who use or possess such substances/inanimate objects responsibly and within reason.

I really appreciate all of your comments!

Saber, I decided a few months ago to gradually stop taking the pain medication. It doesn't work as well as it used to and I'd rather not take any medications if it can be avoided. I've made some progress in that area and I'll continue to decrease the dosage until I don't take it anymore.

I've also decided that I'll continue to carry my weapon and I'll continue to train and practice with it, hoping I'll never have to use it. If there's a time when a situation arises and it's necessary to stop a threat to save a loved one's life, I'll deal with the legal ramifications later. I believe it would be easier for me to deal with the aftermath, if I know I've saved the life of my wife or one of my daughters. The bad guy might be dead or severely injured, but it will have been his decision to use deadly force against innocent people and he will have to suffer the consequences of his actions.

It's a personal decision, but this is the decision I've made.

Thanks again.

Micah

Can you drive if you've smoked med mj? Yes. Just like you can drive if you've taken prescription meds or certain amts of alcohol.

There is a difference between being 'intoxicated' and using.

And there are way more people abusing the booze than med. mj.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by TapRackBang View Post
    OK hollywood aside ( it was a joke)

On the board here the term "law abiding citizen" is used alot. Marijuana is still a federal offense and any medical marijuana users are violating federal law. The real problem with the discussion is the perception of "Medical Marijuana". Medical marujuana use (Yes, there are exceptions) is recreational..not medical, the average medical marijuana card (MMC) holder in California is a 20 something year old white male. This is also statically the most healthy group in the US.

Let be serious, medical marijuana is an end run around the law. The majority of MMC holders use marijuana for recreational purposes.

There is a drug called Sativex that is currently going through medical trials here in the US. Its being used in Canada and England. When it become legal here, and it most likely will..the medical marijuana laws will go away..bummer dude...

All prescription drugs have the danger of abuse. They can't keep Oxycotin from being used recreationally, and the problem of prescription drug abuse is getting worst..so, it doesn't matter which drug of choice you abuse..If you abuse drugs, legal or not, your right to carry should be at question.

Having a MMC does not make you a "law abiding citizen". If you are going to have a serious discussion. don't pee on the ground and try to convince everyone its raining.
    The 'federal govt' has said that it will NOT persue criminal actions against med mj users.

MJ laws are a joke that cost taxpayers millions every yr. (and no, I dont use it)...and any reasonable agency recognizes this. It's hypocrisy at it's best when alcohol and cigarettes are legal.

Knee jerk reliances on 'the law' are worse than useless. Prohibition caused more problems than it attempted to fix.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    Nothing has yet to convince me there is any need for medical marijuana. When the California medical marijuana lobby listed "writers cramp" as enough reason to get a prescription for marijuana,well it just seemed to me to be a thinly veiled loophole so potheads would'ent get poped.

I say they can have there dope or a CCW-- NOT BOTH!
    I'm sorry, you forgot to include your medical credentials......or your pharmceutical degree?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Smoking pot daily = not addicted
    drinking alcohol daily = alcoholic

Pot, it is for winners.

Definition of an alcoholic: someone you don't like who drinks as much as you.
    9MMare likes this.

It should be illegal and it also violates Federal Law to use medical marijuana.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

ITW
    Was it illegal when George Washington was growing it?

"Make the most of the Indian hemp seed, and sow it everywhere!"

-- George Washington in a note to his gardener at Mount Vernon (1794)

Imagine that.

George Washington himself having his gun rights infringed in today's America.
    Doghandler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    Thats the trouble. We are taking someones rights away because we do not have a test to show impairment. Not because you actually are impaired.

For those saying that they can see no reason for anyone to use medical marijuana. Is that a reason to take them away? If I recall that is one of the reasons for gun control.

Michael
    Sticks and Doghandler like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMont View Post
    The bottom line is, if you are taking medications, smoking medical marijuana or drinking, don't carry and leave it at home.
    +1 I agree 1000%

That is hilarious.

Perfectly understandable for one to want these rights but it's clear that they didn't take the time research the depth/responsiblities of the subject.

Pineapple Express is not a training video!
    "Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
    "The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail ... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation."

-Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Civil rights are a tough nut to turn, especially on a rusty bolt.

You guys are doing fine here so far as my judgement is concerned.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links