Medical Marijuana User Demands Gun Rights

This is a discussion on Medical Marijuana User Demands Gun Rights within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Medical pot users want gun rights...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Medical Marijuana User Demands Gun Rights

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar

Yea no... Employers are already demanding you cant come to work if your stoned so, if you cant be trusted to work, could you be trusted with a gun?
    Last edited by guardmt; April 6th, 2011 at 09:26 AM.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

I see it as liberals trying to carve out a convenient niche for liberals.
    PatAz likes this.

VIP Member
    If one cannot carry under the influence of alcohol, one should not be able to carry under the influence of marijuana. I don't see the issue here.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

VIP Member
    Under the influence, is under the influence legal or not. You can't have your grass and eat it too. It’s hard to believe that back when I was a peace officer any amount of grass was a felony in California.
    PatAz likes this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Saber, its no differant than if you are on medication that puts you under any influance. I hear you on the felony part, heck a seed would get you a felony charge and we used to book em too. The card holders here in Montana have gone wild, and the state now is working on either medical marijuana law reform or recinding the medical marijuana law all together.
    "Trouble Never Makes An Appointment"

While I understand the initial knee jerk reaction, I dont understand why the huge uproar and feelings based responses. In my opinion alcohol is far worse than pot, but I am allowed to consume alcohol at my residence and have a gun too. If the state has approved medical marijuana then the Sheriffs must uphold that law regardless of their feelings towards pot. Just like any other medicine though, caution should be used around firearms (or machinery or vehicles) until it is known how the drug will affect you.

Bottom line is medical marijuana is legal, therefore they have the same rights as anyone else.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

In the state of Virginia one is not permitted to CCW while intoxicated. Being high on dope should not be some exception to the intoxicated prohibition. Because dope is the drug of choice of liberals should not allow for the carving of some exlcusion based upon what you are high on.

From a legal perspective, and without getting into the politics of it, it is quite possibly a violation of federal law to even possess a firearm if one is a medical marijuana dependent whacko. No state law will bail out some doper if the feds come a huntin'.

(g) It shall be unlawful for any person:

(3) who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802));

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMont View Post
    Saber, its no differant than if you are on medication that puts you under any influance. I hear you on the felony part, heck a seed would get you a felony charge and we used to book em too. The card holders here in Montana have gone wild, and the state now is working on either medical marijuana law reform or recinding the medical marijuana law all together.
    I was looking at it from the same perspective. If you have a prescription for Vicodin and pop one and are "Under the Influence" is it illegal to carry? If not then I would assume the same would hold true for marijuana.
    9MMare and Longbow like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    Yea no... Employers are already demanding you cant come to work if your stoned so, if you can be trusted to work, could you be trusted with a gun?
    Yet alcohol is legal and people drink and can own weapons.... how hypocritical
    BigJon10125 and Secret Spuk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Yet alcohol is legal and people drink and can own weapons.... how hypocritical
    In Iowa, under the new law, you can drink and carry... as long as you are not .08 or above... only they forgot to write in implied consent so they have no way to force you to test if carrying.

Back to the Med. MJ.

(g) It shall be unlawful for any person:

(3) who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802));
    Is a Med MJ user a lawful or unlawful user? Under fed law prolly unlawful... but under state law, if the state allows Med. MJ?

interesting... I am not a MJ user, and there is no Med MJ in Iowa. I don't even drink more than about once a month. It concerns me that we've allowed folks to carry while drinking to some degree, but I'm very leery of the fixes being proposed..
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    I think there is one twist on the issue not yet mentioned. There is no such thing as mj being legal for medical purposes under Federal law.

While the states issue the CHL licenses, the NICS stuff is Federal. I'm thinking that if you are a medical mj user you can't answer the questions truthfully and still purchase. Not quite the same thing as being denied a license for using medical mj, but rather related.
    surefire7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    In Iowa, under the new law, you can drink and carry... as long as you are not .08 or above... only they forgot to write in implied consent so they have no way to force you to test if carrying.

Back to the Med. MJ.
    people carry while taking prescription medicine, over the counter medicine, are sleep deprived, are hopped up on energy drinks and other energy stimulants, jacked up on nicotine, caffeine and other stimulants or depressants......

lets yank their gun rights but allow them to hurdle 2 ton vehicles thorough our streets at high rates of speed which account for many more deaths each year... guns bad... take gun rights...... car ok... keep license..... yet Bill of Rights says nothing about driving a vehicle... guns bad.... guns bad..... repeat after me.... drugs bad... guns bad.... give tax money to fight it.... brainwashing of society in progress

marijuana, while not for me personally is a natural plant and is imho safer than alcohol, a lot of man made over the counter medicines, and cigarettes...... but it gets a real bad wrap due to this big joke we call "the war on drugs" which should just be named the fleece on taxes......

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Regardless of any of our opinions, the simple fact is that the state of Oregon has decided that under some certain circumstances that MJ is a medication. She is legally prescribed MJ. Since you can have a CCW permit if you are prescribed any other medication, then the decision to revoke her permit seems arbitrary and capricious, as well as likely illegal.
    Bkrazy and Ally like this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I would not want to be involved in a shooting while being under the influence, and this doesn't mean stoned or over medicated to be nicer about it. If you are considered impared by the courts, the tables will turn on you in a heart beat. Non of us here have the backing to fight this type of thing in court, many lose their homes, and other monitary things just fighting court cases defending themselves.

The bottom line is, if you are taking medications, smoking medical marijuana or drinking, don't carry and leave it at home.
    DaveJay and C hawk Glock like this.
    "Trouble Never Makes An Appointment"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links