NY state CWP

NY state CWP

This is a discussion on NY state CWP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last year, I went to NY by car to visit my Sister. In viewing the states gun laws, mt Fl permit was good in all ...

Thread: NY state CWP

NY state CWP

Last year, I went to NY by car to visit my Sister. In viewing the states gun laws, mt Fl permit was good in all the states along the way, except NY. And with the crime situation up there, that would be where I would need it the most.
    I wound up leaving the gun at home, and bought a OC sray and had my tactical folding knife in my pocket. And as said above, I was a licensed resident before moving.

Now, heres my question, and I hope someone is an attorney in NY state. As mentioned above, what if: I had bought a 10% intrest in my sisters house, and changed my address there, for the purposes of the permit, before moving to Fl?
    Not that I will do this, but wonder if its legal?

property ownership and address does not equal RESIDENT! Where do you vote? Where do you pay income tax? Where is your residence ( 6 months + 1 day). Check with the old people that live in both FL and NY.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    Last year, I went to NY by car to visit my Sister. In viewing the states gun laws, mt Fl permit was good in all the states along the way, except NY. And with the crime situation up there, that would be where I would need it the most.
    I wound up leaving the gun at home, and bought a OC sray and had my tactical folding knife in my pocket. And as said above, I was a licensed resident before moving.

Now, heres my question, and I hope someone is an attorney in NY state. As mentioned above, what if: I had bought a 10% intrest in my sisters house, and changed my address there, for the purposes of the permit, before moving to Fl?
    Not that I will do this, but wonder if its legal?
    You mean if you already had a NY Permit before moving initially? Would it still be valid?
    Well, if that was your meaning: you might still have it because NY in almost all areas issues permits for life. BUT, legally you would be in hot water if you ever had an incident because your lack of resident time per-year, 6 mos, would become known and THEN..... You'd have a gun felony on top of whatever else the incident brought up legally. You're supposed to notify authorities of change of residence. And once you are no longer a resident then I'm sure your permit would become invalid.

However, I'm not a lawyer so this is a non-expert view.

As a side note: NY is said to be tough to get a permit in. My experience was not that it was so tough but thorough and therefore took a long time. I think one of the reasons for this is the "permit for life" thing. They want to check out applicants real good.

I'm not a lawyer, but I can answer this one with certainty, because I used to work for a government office that issued permits in NY. NY doesn't issue nonresident permits, so if you are no longer a resident your permit is invalid for carry in NY. If you live in NY six months and a day, you may call it your residence. Otherwise, you can't. But since it is a life permit for residents, if you move away and don't tell the issuing county, and then move back, you still have a legal permit.

Sponsored Links