The $1000, six month wait Concealed Carry Permit - Page 2

The $1000, six month wait Concealed Carry Permit

This is a discussion on The $1000, six month wait Concealed Carry Permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sue the sheriff for mental anguish, lawyer fees, and defamation of character....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: The $1000, six month wait Concealed Carry Permit

Sue the sheriff for mental anguish, lawyer fees, and defamation of character.

Nice.
    and for sarcasm, I thought NYC licenses where expensive.

Glad you saw it through...nasty cost though.
    I agree with those who say it's time for a new sheriff.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I was about to say the same thing cptsdr. Sounds like you have a political activist sheriff in your county. And, it sounds like it's time for a new sheriff!
    The Sheriff of my county couldn't be unseated. Everyone loves him. Our family is friends with him. He's a nice guy. But I disagree vehemently with his policies (which is another reason I decided to postpone pursuing a career in Law Enforcement and to focus on Security Guard work.) He spends a ton of money on a lot of high tech crap that hardly ever gets used, and we don't, IMHO, have nearly enough deputies. But it's basically a popularity contest, and he wins every time.

I hope the OP's county isn't the same way.

Thank you for spending the time, the effort, and the money to stand for your wife's rights... and ours. I am pleased at the outcome and grateful for your steadfast pursuit of the final verdict!

Congratualtions!

Reminds me of the Declaration of Independence: "...we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor."

And really, thank you both.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Sorry to hear about all the problems you went through, but you should consider yourself lucky that you only spent $1000 on lawyer fees for all that work. I know two people that spent several times that suing the chief in their town just to get an application.
    You should try to recover your legal fees; have you talked to your lawyer about it? You might be able to file in small claims court as well and you could do that yourself.

I believe our sheriff is up for election soon, but it is highly likely that he will be re-elected. But there are at least two of us who won't vote for him. The guy who is running against him is a deputy now, so even if the current sheriff is defeated, there might not be much change, but one can only hope.

As for suing to recover lawyer fees and such, our lawyer is against it. And, he is from Richmond, not Amelia county. We hired for that reason and also the fact that he was highly recommended by Phil VanCleeve, the president of the VCDL. As for his fee, his normal fee is nearly double what he charged us, but he cut us a break because my wife is on disability and I'm retired and on a fixed income. He also doesn't charge for phone calls or hiring people to serve subpoenas and such.

I believe that I might have mentioned this in the earlier thread, but Amelia county seems to be relatively ignorant of the Virginia shall issue statute. Since it was passed nearly 10 years ago, the county has issued less than 1000 permits, and the clerk of the court had no idea what an Ore Tenus hearing was or how to file for one. That was when I decided to hire a lawyer.

Anyhow thanks to everyone for their kind words of encouragement.

That is one of the reasons that I like State issued permits instead of permits that are issued locally.

All of the politics and personal BS is taken out of the equation, and permits are issued based on the State and FBI background checks and fingerprints. Since you are simply a number in the system you don't get into the "personal feelings" of the local sheriff that caused your wife's delay.

Glad you were able to prevail in the end, just kinda crappy that it cost you $1000 bucks.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Hope none of your clothes caught on fire jumping through all the burning hoops.!!!!!

"If you put the government in charge of the desert, there would be a sand shortage within ten years." - A very wise man

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts."
    Will Rogers

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it. Mark Twain
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Final update:

My wife's permit arrived in the mail today. Funny, it looks just like mine. I figured for what it cost, it should at least be done in gold inlay.
    Ally likes this.

Congrats and very well done. Sorry for the loss green though. Its a shame we still have people trying to put there opinions over the laws of others. Lets hope this is a lesson he learned not to do to someone else.

While I glad there was a good outcome, I HATE reading stories like this!
    Even if your wife had some sort of drug involvement 16 years ago, the statement about your wife being a drug addict and dealer without cause were totally out of line unprofessional. I hope he gets a job he is more qualified for.

Good job and I hope you and your wife don't have any more problems.

be happy you can get one. I would happily pay $1000 to get a permit in MD.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    While I glad there was a good outcome, I HATE reading stories like this!
    Even if your wife had some sort of drug involvement 16 years ago, the statement about your wife being a drug addict and dealer without cause were totally out of line unprofessional. I hope he gets a job he is more qualified for.
    Unprofessional? Try: deflamation of character, slander

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    As for suing to recover lawyer fees and such, our lawyer is against it.
    Listen to your lawyer. He is giving you excellent advise. I learned long ago, when I got the answer I wanted, it was time to leave the discussion.

Congratulations on a successful outcome, and thanks for going forward to obtain your rights.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links