Florida statutes and weapons on campus

This is a discussion on Florida statutes and weapons on campus within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm posting cause I was looking over the statutes and my school weapons policy and I was confused on a few things. The school posts: ...

Thread: Florida statutes and weapons on campus

Florida statutes and weapons on campus

I'm posting cause I was looking over the statutes and my school weapons policy and I was confused on a few things. The school posts:

Weapons on Campus
    The Broward college Student code of conduct, Broward college policy 6Hx2-5.02 and Florida statute 790.115 prohibit the possession, control, or display of any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon defined in Florida statute 790.001, while on the property of Broward college. Individuals who posses a Florida state-issued license to carry concealed weapons are not exempt.

I have read Florida statute 790.06http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...s/0790.06.html (on ccw) and it says:

No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into....any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;

I read Statute 790.115 (Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine)

It seems to refer to brandishing a weapon and not concealed carry:

A person who exhibits any sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade, box cutter, or common pocketknife, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, in the presence of one or more persons in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner and not in lawful self-defense

If anyone has any insight it would be great ^_^

2. Remove Ads

No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into....any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;

As the statute says " unless the weapon is a stun gun or non lethal electric weapon or device designed soley for defensive puposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;" No firearms and no tasers. Pepper spray is considered a "device designed soley for defensive purposes."
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You need to read (and hopefully interpret) the statutes accurately. As you stated: Florida statute 790.06http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...s/0790.06.html (on ccw) and it says:

No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into....any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is ...

Note that the statute refers to weapons and firearms separately. Statute 790.001 defines weapons and firearms separately also. BY FL legal definition, a firearm isn't a weapon--unless used in a threatening or deadly manner--but statute 790.06 still prohibits firearms--period. This is part of the reason FL has a CWFL, not a CWL or CFL. At times, in some places, you may be allowed to CC a "weapon" but not a firearm.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links