Do you carry spare mags and why?

This is a discussion on Do you carry spare mags and why? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've been carrying for a few weeks now and the more comfortable I get with it, the more I wonder if I should add ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Do you carry spare mags and why?

Do you carry spare mags and why?

So I've been carrying for a few weeks now and the more comfortable I get with it, the more I wonder if I should add a spare mag. My .40 carries 14+1 which seems like a lot, but I have never been in a gunfight and it seems in that case, more is better. Is it crazy to carry a spare mag? Am I being a wannabe LEO at that point or not?

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

You carry a spare magazine in case of a stoppage not just for the ammo. I carry two spares. Also you could lose the magazine in your pistol.
    Semper Fi

Carrying a spare mag is not all about capacity, it's has a lot to do with a malfunction of the mag you carry in the gun. The mags are man made and could break or malfunction anytime, with a spare mag you can put your weapon back in service if the first mag screws up. As far as capacity 14 rounds IMHO should be way more than the common person should ever need, unless you are somewhere you should not be, or a really bad unlikely situation. Just my 2 cents......
    BugDude likes this.

Statistically, you will have a mag related malfunction in your auto before any other type. Consider it a "spare tire" Would you rather change the tire in the middle of the freeway and get back on the road or take the tire off and diagnose why it is flat and then repair it with no tools with trafiic zipping around you?

I carry a spare double stack mag for my .40 in my front pocket right next to my pocket flashlight. It is no problem at all.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by TJK68 View Post
    As far as capacity 14 rounds IMHO should be way more than the common person should ever need, .
    This is exactly why I feel weird carrying a spare mag. But you all make good points about failure. I think I will go check out mag holders today.

VIP Member
    I only carry a spare mag when I am carrying an autoloader for the exact reason that the mag is the most likely failure point. Being able to replace it is a must. When carrying a revolver, I do carry a spare speed loader in my pocket. This just gets me back up to the mag capacity in my most commonly carried autoloader.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Not always. Depends on situation, enviroment, and other things.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I carry a spare mag for potential mag-related malfunction, regardless of whether my mags hold 8 or 13. Having too much ammunition is like having too much money: impossible.
    enk5 and DamnitBob like this.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I carry one spare. There are simply too many good reasons to carry one, and not a single good one to not carry one in my book.

I always carry a spare magazine. On the very few times I carry a revolver I carry a speed loader or a speed strip. The reasons for carrying a spare magazine also apply for a reload for a revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by TJK68 View Post
    Carrying a spare mag is not all about capacity, it's has a lot to do with a malfunction of the mag you carry in the gun. The mags are man made and could break or malfunction anytime, with a spare mag you can put your weapon back in service if the first mag screws up. As far as capacity 14 rounds IMHO should be way more than the common person should ever need, unless you are somewhere you should not be, or a really bad unlikely situation. Just my 2 cents......
    The capacity of your mag isn't as important as having a spare mag or two for function issues. I'd rather carry a semi-auto with 2 seven round mags (15 rounds including the chambered one) than a semi-auto with one 14 round mag (also 15 rounds including the chambered round). Taking it a step further, I often carry 2 5 shot snub revolvers. I'd rather carry 2 guns with 10 rounds than 1 gun with 10 rounds.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The main reason I carry spare magazine(s) is in case of a magazine failure. Most defensive uses of a handgun tend to be over in 2 or 3 rounds fired with no need to reload. But, from working on several ranges over my life time I have come to realize that the most common failure on a modern semi auto handgun is a magazine failure. So I carry a spare mag, at least one, in case the mag in the gun fails.

That is not to say that there may never be a need to reload in a defensive situation. The shooter at the mall in Salt Lake City was engaged by an off duty police officer who was having dinner with his wife. The officer was armed with a 1911 with no spare magazine. He was engaging an active shooter who was armed with a revolver and a shotgun with a backpack full of ammo for the guns. Luckily the officer didn't need to reload but I stress this was pure luck. Had he needed a reload to stay in the fight, he would have been SOL and most likely would have been in the stats as another of the dead victims.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Always. Magazines fail more often than any other part of an autoloader. Given how little space they take up, there is really no reason not to carry at least one spare mag. If you never need it, wonderful. If you do, you'll be glad you have it. Even when I carry two full-size guns, I carry at least one spare mag in addition. Why not? There simply is no downside.

sgb
    First as has already been stated you sometimes need a spare mag to deal with a malfunction, secondly you never know how bad it's going to be when the poop hits the oscillating blade and a gun without ammunition is a piss poor club.

If you haven't invested in some professional training (to include malfunction clearing) you need to make it a priority.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

So where do you all wear your extra mags? Strong side? Weak side?

I went and looked at my local gun shop and the only mag holder they had was a Black Hawk single or double mag holder with a paddle. Didn't look like it would conceal all that well under a T-shirt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links