Lost CCW permit...

This is a discussion on Lost CCW permit... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know how or where. I had my permit when I picked up a new 1911 last week. A couple days later, I noticed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lost CCW permit...

Lost CCW permit...

I don't know how or where. I had my permit when I picked up a new 1911 last week. A couple days later, I noticed it was gone! Checked with the nice folks at the shop, but not there. They gave me a couple copies of the copy they made for the transaction, so I could send in for a replacement permit. For now, I have a copy of my lost permit on me. Is this copy legal while I wait for my replacement?
    Virginia resident.
    Thanks
    Certified Infidel

2. Remove Ads

That is something you need to ask where your permit was issued from, not here on a forum board.
    jcaramis likes this.
    "Trouble Never Makes An Appointment"

Nice reply.
    I posted here because there are some Virginia folks who would know. I may have reasons why I would rather not ask a government official with access to my personal info.
    Anybody with a helpful response would be appreciated.
    Certified Infidel

The only real answer is with your issuing authority.
    Semper Fi

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I personally carry a copy of my actual VA CCW permit, which I then laminated. The original stays safe at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrike6 View Post
    Nice reply.
    I posted here because there are some Virginia folks who would know. I may have reasons why I would rather not ask a government official with access to my personal info.
    Huh?

He gives you what is truly the correct answer and you make a statement that really makes no sense- why would you be hesitant to speak to the issuing authority? It's not like you've committed a crime in losing your permit. Stuff does happen, and you need to speak to them anyway about replacement.

And if it is not legal to carry a copy, wouldn't you want to know for sure, from the issuer itself and not someone on a board who you don't know?

Well in the florida statutes it says exactly what you supposed to do when you lose a permit. I looked at the ones for virginia but theres no info on lost permits however in most states you haveto contact you local police department (or wherever it was issued from) and they'll replace it for a fee. Theres really no other answer. I dont think a photocopy would be vallid unless its really high quality and even then i dont know about teh legality of that as it may be considered a forgery or stolen or whatever

Administrator
    You really need to find out for sure. In Pennsylvania you must have the original on your person when carrying concealed.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Nice reply.
    The fact that you don't like his response does not make it inaccurate nor unhelpful. He was polite in how he made it. And, he was right. The most accurate info you are going to get is from the issuing authority. Maybe they have it online so you don't have to take whatever risk it is you are apparently trying to avoid? Getting legal advice on an internet forum is risky at best, no matter how well intentioned the replies may be.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Nice reply.
    Nah, nothing to worry about just put the shiney side outwards of the tin foil hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Keisukekun View Post
    Well in the florida statutes it says exactly what you supposed to do when you lose a permit. I looked at the ones for virginia but theres no info on lost permits however in most states you haveto contact you local police department (or wherever it was issued from) and they'll replace it for a fee. Theres really no other answer. I dont think a photocopy would be vallid unless its really high quality and even then i dont know about teh legality of that as it may be considered a forgery or stolen or whatever
    Just make a phone call! You certainly aren't the first guy to ever lose or misplace his permit. In all likelihood you'll be talking with civilian employees (clerks) who have neither law enforcement powers nor any reason to do anything but answer your question. You won't have to identify yourself.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Don't know about VA but in GA there is a time limit for low cost & easy replacement. After that you have to reapply with all the associated fun. Smitty's right, make a phone call ASAP.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    As others have said, just give them a call. The advice you get on an internet forum is worth what you paid for it.

I don't know how or where. I had my permit when I picked up a new 1911 last week. A couple days later, I noticed it was gone! Checked with the nice folks at the shop, but not there. They gave me a couple copies of the copy they made for the transaction, so I could send in for a replacement permit. For now, I have a copy of my lost permit on me. Is this copy legal while I wait for my replacement?
    Virginia resident.
    Thanks
    No, the embossed stamp is what makes it a "valid" permit. Granted they can see your permit by running your plates. I would assume since you already have an active permit the clerk at your counties circuit court could probably issue another one on the spot (probably back dated of course).

VIP Member
    I may have reasons why I would rather not ask a government official with access to my personal info.
    It would be most helpful to know what your hiding from the Sheriff so that we can evaluate any of your future posts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links