Carrying With Kids - Seeking Fellow Parents Advice - Page 2

Carrying With Kids - Seeking Fellow Parents Advice

This is a discussion on Carrying With Kids - Seeking Fellow Parents Advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When my son was small, Missouri had no concealed carry law. He always knew I had them, I never tried to hide it. If he ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Carrying With Kids - Seeking Fellow Parents Advice

When my son was small, Missouri had no concealed carry law. He always knew I had them, I never tried to hide it. If he wanted to look at them, I would show them to him. No big deal. Part of the showing was the constant reminder that he never tell anyone else (kind of a big secret between us). Later on, he asked to try shooting some of them, and I set up some time to go out and try some (just the .22's and .410's then). As he got older, the calibers and guages went up. I never had a problem.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Quote Originally Posted by cnauman View Post
    We have 3 kids (8, 4, 3) and I don't make my guns a big secret, they know what they are and what they are capable of. The last thing I want is to be gone and have them overly curious, I feel this way it's not a big deal and it seems to be working - they could care less when they see Daddy wearing a gun, to them it's normal.

Great!

Now... so far I haven't carried with one in the chamber (new to carrying and it's not a comfort zone I'm OK with yet). That said, I am starting to become more open to the idea. My concern is of course my kids... by nature they are climbers, jumpers, curious, and dig into pockets looking for gum, candy, money, whatever - kids being kids.

To fellow parents and those who are around kids a lot - what is your recommendation? Are my worries unjustified? I do tend to worry too much, but I've never felt it was a bad thing - after all, my whole point in carrying unchambered was playing the odds. I feel my chances of needing my gun are lower than the chances of it going off for some stupid reason - we are all human.

I don't want this to get into a debate over one in the pipe or not, I'm looking for some advice, some shared knowledge, perhaps people with similar concerns who have overcome them, etc.

Thanks!
    I wouldn't call your worries unjustified. I'd never call anyone's worries about the safety of their children unjustified. My wife and I have 5 kids (20, 16, 15 twin 8 year olds) and we have carried since before they were born. We taught them about guns and that Mom and Dad carried them to protect us and keep us safe from the bad people in the world who might want to hurt us. Them knowing about guns and understanding what they are capable of has taken the mystery and curiosity out of them and as a result, we have never had to worry about them playing with a gun. Though they have always been in the secured in the safe when they are not on our hips. I will say that I think you will find that the worries are not as great as you think they are when you become more accustomed to carrying.

I advise getting a good quality holster that fully covers the trigger guard. For me, Kydex is more comforting than leather because the Kydex plastic is sturdier and I just feel that it protects the trigger better. Each must make their own decisions on this though.

Please post what model of gun yopu carry and what holster you carry it in, make model, material it is made of.

As for carrying with an empty chamber, I urge you to get past that worry. Having been in 2 situations where I had to pull my gun to defend myself (thankfully neither instance did I have to fire, the sight of the gun made the bad guy stop what he was doing) I can tell you that in both instances, I didn't have time to draw, rack the slide to chamber a round and then engage the bad guy. It all happened way too fast for all that. I did not have time to use the gun if I had needed to take the time to chamber a round. Modern hand guns are designed to be carried with a round in the chamber. If you don't have a round in there ready to go, you may as well carry a rock or a hammer because you will do just as good with one of them for defensive purposes as an unloaded gun.
    oneshot likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have two kids, 9 and 2, and they know I carry guns. I take every safety precaution with gun safes. If the gun is not on my person or in my direct control, then it is locked in a safe. I've taken my older child shooting with me, explained guns to her, and there is no mystery. She knows if she wants to go shooting, we will go. She knows to never mess with one unless we are at the range together. She also knows what to do if she is ever at someone else's house and a gun is not secured.

I carry loaded and chambered even in my home. I carry guns I am comfortable with in holsters I'm equally comfortable with. With a good holster that properly covers the trigger and properly retains the gun, kids climbing on you isn't an issue. My XD40sc has a firing pin block with grip safety and trigger safety. I know that unless the gun is gripped and trigger pulled simultaneously, the gun can't go off. I had a holster made for it with a thumb break retention strap. My kids can climb and jump on me all day long with no worries. Attached are a couple of my holsters with retention straps.
    Attached Images
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have twin 4 year olds and I carry IWB and a BUG in the pocket. I let them look at the guns in the safe whenever they want. They both have their own long guns and handguns. I use Nerf dart guns to start teaching them safety. Everything is either locked in the safe or on SWMBO or I all the time. (here's a hint, putting them up high doesn't work, I caught my son climbing up on top of the fridge one day when he was just 3).

If I have some particular concern about the kids being near the guns I have a P7M8 that would be nearly impossible for them to work, and I can pull the firing pin out in about 2 seconds without disassembling the gun. Maybe if I anticipated an unusual amount of climbing or crawlimg or something I would use that.

2 big hints. First, look at Corneredcat dot com. It's an awesome site for the ladies but has a ton of great info about having kids and and armed lifestyle. Second, 550 cord is your friend. Tie a piece to the kid's belt loops and put the rest in their pocket. You can grab it and have an instant "leash" to hurry them to safety in an emergency. I have a carabiner on my (manly Maxpedition) diaper bag just to clip onto the kids safety lines. Tactical toddlers.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    ... One thing I will say, a 5 year old can say some weird things and if they know I am carrying I'd hate for them to say to a person in line at Wal-Mart "my daddy has a gun in his pants". Something else to think about.
    That is the main reason I don't let my 3 yr old or 1 yr old know that I carry yet. The 3 yr old doesn't refrain from saying what's on her mind yet. They know that I have guns, as I've had to wipe my EDC down with the kids around. That's when I explained the "don't touch, leave the room, tell an adult" thing.

I try to hold their hand or carry them using my weak side to keep my strong side free (or i can drop any item i'm holding). Also, I ask them not to grab my clothes or legs, but I say it's because it'll stretch the shirt or in the case of holding the legs it could make somebody fall down.

I carry with one in the chamber, in a comptac m-tac holster, no thumb safety. However, I am conscious about the side arm when playing with the kids.

When my kids were little, I never let them have toy guns because there were real ones in the house. Eddie Eagle was new (long time ago) on the scene and I got the video (pre-DVD) for the kids.

"STOP, Don't touch, Leave the area, Tell an adult."

My youngest watched the video first when he was 2 or 3. He's driving age now and still remembers Eddie.

IMHO Get a quality holster that covers the trigger guard and a GOOD gun belt. A good belt will improve a marginal holster, a marginal belt will make a quality holster fail.

You might want to consider a revolver until they are older.

I think that for now, "NO TOUCH" "don't tell" rules should be enforced until you feel confident in their ability to learn safety. My oldest was ready at 5, the youngest at 8. YMMV
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

I too have 3 kids 11, 10, and 3. I carry IWB and ruff house with my kids all the time. Get a good holster and belt and you will see a big difference. Always carry with one in the pipe. As for children as guns definitely watch the Eddie Eagle video my kids have. Let Anytime they ask to see my guns, I will clear the rounds and place all ammo in my pocket or in the safe in the other room before handing over firearm. I will show them it is cleared and have them show me that it is clear as well. They practice safe handling. Know which is a safe direction and EVERY firearm is to be treated as LOADED.

Out of the 3 the oldest is a girl and has little interest in guns but on occasion she has asked to hold them.

My 10 year son is a copy of myself and too smart for a kid his age. He has the fever, He will be a carrier once of age. He understand that his decisions when he is a teenager will effect his ability to carry. "They do not give CCW to people with arrest records."

The 3rd one is also a boy and he is still to young. I will ask him if he want to see Daddy gun like his older siblings. He has "played with it" and more interested in the box that it came in.

You must know your own children and there is no substitute to safe handling. .

My daughter was not interested in guns, until she started dating a guy while in college who was a gun enthusiast.
    She knew I carried and was cool with it.
    I told her at 12 yrs old, if you want to shhot one of my guns, we will go to a range and I will instruct you in safe handling and the proper way to shoot. She never asked.
    Now, we go to a range together. I gave her Grandmas .25 Beretta when she wanted it (23 yrs old).

Two things.

Keep your guns locked up in a safe or cabinet when they aren't being carried on your person.

Use a good holster when carrying a gun on your person.

If you do those two things you should never have an issue with kids getting a gun when they aren't supposed to.

My son (8 now) has been along when we go shooting since before he could walk. Seeing guns is second nature to him, and he thinks nothing about them whether they are on us or where ever. That doesn't mean that I trust him enough to leave loaded guns laying around the house unsecured. Could I, probalby, will I, no.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Interesting take that I haven't thought about. I showed mine my gun too. One thing I will say, a 5 year old can say some weird things and if they know I am carrying I'd hate for them to say to a person in line at Wal-Mart "my daddy has a gun in his pants". Something else to think about.
    My 7 year old did that exact thing to me in Wal-mart. He told the cashier "guess what, my papa has a gun" should have seen the look on her face...I handle the issue with him..:)

To the OP, it seems that you are on the right track. Taking the mystery out of guns is a good thing to do with little ones around. Like Hiram, when the kids want to go shooting or look at the guns, Im always there and always say yes. At this point, its normal to see me with my gun, so normal they do not even realize most of the time. (I always have one in the pipe)
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I have 3 kiddos, 2 Girls 5 &4 and a 1yr old boy. I rough house with all of them. Out in public they get piggy back rides and tossed up on daddy's shoulders. I am always mindful of the weapon at my side when playing with them but as others have said a good holster that covers the trigger will work wonders.

The girls have seen that I carry and really haven't said much. My oldest saw it and asked "Daddy, why do you have a gun? Are you gonna kill somebody?" I told her, "Not if i don't have too, Daddy carries his gun to protect you." It was a perfect time to sit her down and talk about guns, safety and "bad guys".

My younger girl, I didn't even know she knew I carried but I was talking to my mom and she asked if i actually carry a gun. So i told her I was wearing it right then and asked if she could tell where. She could not but then my little girl walked over to me and pointed to my weapon. They notice more than we realize but are also capable of understanding our reasons for what we do. Just make sure to talk to your kids. They are kids not morons.

As other have said, I Agree. Always carry with one in the chamber. If not there is the chance you could lose the weapon in a struggle While you try to rack it and Nobody wants to get shot with their own gun. I've read this before but don't remember where:

I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it because it's gonna be empty.

Three kids, 7, 6, and 4. Same basic situation, they all know daddy and mommy have guns and carry guns and don't think twice about it since it is "normal" and the guns stay concealed and thus "out of mind." I prefer to carry one in the chamber as I believe that the chance I will need my gun will also be the time I will be dealing with other things with my off hand.

I recommend reading a great article on corneredcat.com about teaching your kids about guns.

Also, as previously mentioned, a high quality holster/belt combination goes a long ways in providing you peace of mind.

Another question would be about what gun do you have? Any safety features on the gun that keep it from spontaneous firing that you can learn more about that will also provide greater peace of mind.

I have a Springfield XD. I took my gun apart and examined the two main safety features and how they work. Knowledge can provide comfort. Now that I know how they work, I am VERY comfortable with my sidearm and with carrying one in the chamber (+ 1).

Good luck. Do your homework and you will come up with a decision that you are comfortable with.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

write out the 4 safety rules:
    1)treat every weapon as if it were loaded
    2)never point your weapon at anything you don not intend to shoot
    3)keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire
    4)keep your weapon on safe until you are ready to fire

when your kids can recite them and understand them, then they are old enough to fondle the weapons and to take out and shoot. until then i agree not to make it a big secrete but i would not let them touch the guns until the above criteria is met. my $.02
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I thought I had mentioned it but I carry a Kahr PM9 or a Springfield XDM 9mm Compact.

Great advice here guys, gives me a lot to think about. Once my holster gets here tomorrow I may feel better about it.

+1 for Garrett Industries holsters, less than a week from order to receipt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cnauman View Post
    I thought I had mentioned it but I carry a Kahr PM9 or a Springfield XDM 8mm Compact.
    Springfield makes an 8mm XDM?? And a compact one at that??? Where have I been?

,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links