Carrying With Kids - Seeking Fellow Parents Advice - Page 3

Carrying With Kids - Seeking Fellow Parents Advice

This is a discussion on Carrying With Kids - Seeking Fellow Parents Advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A word of advice....... When your kids get a little older and they have their friends over to your house...that's when you really need to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Carrying With Kids - Seeking Fellow Parents Advice

A word of advice.......
    When your kids get a little older and they have their friends over to your house...that's when you really need to be careful.
    If a friend is fascinated by guns and your kid senses that , he may feel like he needs to show off his gun handling skills to his friend who isn't used to being around guns. I think most kids only use half their brains when they get around their friends........

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Springfield makes an 8mm XDM?? And a compact one at that??? Where have I been?

Fat fingered a small keyboard :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My two cents...

This is another facet of concealed carry where the Smartcarry (or equivelent) really makes a case for itself. When I started carrying almost 4 years ago my son was just a little over a year old. I wanted to be able to carry all the time and not have to worry about him seeing it, finding it, catching on him or his clothes when i carried him, etc...We can play and run around the house and jump around and such and its never a concern.

For the last year or so Ive really made a concious effort to try different holsters, IWB, OWB, pocket, etc....but I always end up going back with the Smartcarry, and thats one of the reasons. I dont have to worry about a cover garment flying up or being too hot in the summer or having some curious kid see it.

For the record, in just general safety with kids and guns...mine knows we have guns in the house but we practice gun safety alot and quiz him about what to do if he ever finds a gun at someones house, etc...At home other than the guns being carried we keep our loaded but in a gun safe.

Alex
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

Really been considering the SmartCarry for a while now, this may have put me over the maybe/maybe not hill - thanks Alex.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    small revolver, pocket carry, all other firearms unloaded and safed.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    First off, don't chamber if you're not comfortatable and don't listen to the macho commandos who will badger you nor not doing so. You know the chances you take either way and have accepted to deal with the consequences. Your life; live it as you see fit for your circumstances. I'd rather go hand-to-hand with an intruder than deal with a kid's accidental shooting.

I believe introducing the kids to firearms early. Got a .22? Take them out and let them put a few rounds thru it. Take the mystique out of the guns. Being kids, they tend to want what they can't have. Make shooting a reward for good grades/behavior/etc.

Secure them when not in your possession. No loaded firearms tucked away "in case." Ammo locked away. If they happen to grab at it while you're carrying, promptly say don't touch; reinforce as needed.
    BugDude and rammerjammer like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    small revolver, pocket carry, all other firearms unloaded and safed.
    I actually keep all of mine loaded in the safe. The less handling, loading, unloading, etc. the less chance for a ND. If they come out of the safe, they go straight in a holster. When in the house, it stays in the holster. No need for it to come out unless it is going straight in the safe. Others may disagree with storing them in their box in the safe loaded, but for me I feel like it is less handling in the house that way.
    Civil_Response likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

That's how I am except for my long guns... they stay unloaded (2 shotguns and a rifle). Handguns stay loaded and locked up/holstered.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I actually keep all of mine loaded in the safe. The less handling, loading, unloading, etc. the less chance for a ND. If they come out of the safe, they go straight in a holster. When in the house, it stays in the holster. No need for it to come out unless it is going straight in the safe. Others may disagree with storing them in their box in the safe loaded, but for me I feel like it is less handling in the house that way.
    I'm the same way.
    I believe the "BEST" way you can remember the: "all guns are loaded rule", is keep all your guns loaded. I keep all my SD/HD firearms loaded at all times. Even when I'm cleaning or practicing with one, I always have another "loaded" firearm available.

I also believe keeping all firearms loaded at all times has helped to instill "SAFE" gun practices and knowledge in my children. I know this practice helped my son last year when one of his friends showed up with a "LOADED" pistol.

My son was able to protect himself and his three friends because he KNEW the rule: "all firearms are loaded;" and (at 10yrs old), he "KNEW" how to handle a loaded pistol enough to insure a tragedy did not take place. (The story has been posted before; so I will not repeat it here.)
    rammerjammer likes this.

cj
    I've got a toddler and have similar concerns. There's a great video that a news agency did (maybe someone has a link?) where they hid a gun, and a video camera, on a playground, then filmed what the kids did with it. Then brought the parents in to watch. The parents who were so confident in their child's knowledge of what to do were more than a little surprised when their 'well-trained child' picked up the gun, put their finger on the trigger, etc., etc.

My personal solution is pocket carry inside a secondary pocket (so there's a front pocket, then a zipped second pocket in there). I'm sure this will offend many here since it's difficult to do a 1.5 second quickdraw, but it's still possible to get a firing grip and be ready to go without anyone knowing...and I'm also about 99.9% more likely to have toddler hands digging in my pocket than having anything else happen, but I'm still better prepared than most of the population (for those who are offended by this argument, I think it's similar to claiming that a 5-point safety harness is better than a standard seatbelt in a car...so I shouldn't wear a seatbelt unless it's a 5 point harness?).

My other option, less used, it a SmartCarry.

I would agree with a lot of the previous answers. Keep your guns under control, on you or locked up. Get a quality holster and belt. Don't hide your guns from the kids. Let them know that they are never to touch them without you, but that you will show them any time they want and take them to the range whenever they want. I bought a used Ruger Mk1 and Mrlin bolt 22LR just so the kids would have something appropriate to shoot.

Guns did not become a big taboo thing that begged to be sneaky to mess with, but just another activity to do together. My daughter does not have much intrest, but my son enjoys shooting with me. As for friends, if the friends parents are OK with it, I have taken some of my kids friends shooting with us. No motivation to sneak a look to show off the guns when if they ask we can go out to the woods and shoot full soda cans, potatoes and any other reactive target (that is safe) that they can think of.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Lots of good advice....can't add much to what's been said. As for your specific question, I would not let your concerns about "one in the chamber" get the best of you. All of the rules you would teach your kids apply under any conditions, loaded chamber or not( all guns are loaded all the time right?). As long as you are using a secure carry method as others have mentioned, and keep it locked up when not carrying, I think you'll find your mind at ease. Discipline with those 2 things pretty much keep your gun unaccessible to anyone but you. And you will also know that you are "ready to rock" if trouble finds you, not having to worry about racking the slide before getting on target.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

+1 on good holster and setup.

Nearly any handgun I have is loaded.... my grandkids know that. They are also locked up unless the gun is 'on me' or next to me when they are around. They both shoot rifles and are now moving to handguns. If you point out any gun and ask them, they'll tell you "it's loaded".... they assume all guns are loaded.

I never ever got them toy guns, where they felt they could point them at someone or pull triggers as play.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I haven't and won't read all the responses. Here's my take: I raised three kids in a houseful of loaded guns. My "kids" are now 25, 27 and 30 years old, and none of them ever even had a near miss in terms of firearm safety. I'm a lawyer and a CHL instructor, if background matters.

First, kids get in trouble with things they find to be taboo, mysterious, or off-limits. You say that your kids pay no attention to your carrying; that being true, you've solved problem number one. If it is not a secret, why bother? With toddlers, there is no remedy but keeping guns out of their hands, but once they are old enough to be educated, it gets much easier.

I've always worried much more about my kids' friends than about my kids. As soon as mine were old enough to be taught, they were, and they learned shooting and safety. I clearly recall my youngest, at the age of about 6, getting thoroughly pissed at a visiting cousin, age 12, being careless with a Daisy BB gun. I have a photo of that same son, at age 5, hunkered down behind an AR carbine on a bipod with a big smile on his face. (Funny-he's now a 3rd year medical student, with honors grades, and he's never shot anyone. How could that happen?) However, I had no way of knowing what my kids' schoolyard friends might have been taught, so I always had to be sure to "safety-up" before visits from them. As the old CSN song says, "Teach Your Children Well."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links