Carrying With Kids - Seeking Fellow Parents Advice

This is a discussion on Carrying With Kids - Seeking Fellow Parents Advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry an HK P7 PSP and have no concerns about an accidental or negligent discharge. The gun also is unbelievably accurate. My 2 girls, ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Carrying With Kids - Seeking Fellow Parents Advice

I carry an HK P7 PSP and have no concerns about an accidental or negligent discharge. The gun also is unbelievably accurate. My 2 girls, 5 & 7, climb on me, get piggyback rides and such all the time. As an aside, I have open carried even before they were born. They think it is odd when daddy is not carrying. All the kids in the neighborhood play at our house also and they think it is normal too.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    My daughter is still young enough that I have to carry her everywhere we go, so I'm not worried about her getting to it herself yet. But what I will say is about one in the chamber. If I have my daughter in my left arm, and something happens where I need to draw and shoot, I will not be able to rack the slide to load a round without putting down my daughter.

Obviously it is not desireable to be in a firefight while holding her, but if it goes down fast enough that I can't get away from the trouble with her, the gun won't do me much good if it isn't ready to fire.
    Walk softly ...

I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that I HAVE to carry with one in the chamber when carrying my Kahr PM9.

Side note:
    When I tried typing "with one" and goofed, the autocorrect changed it to "survive", is that a sign?

That was weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    some good advice from others so far

you carry with one in the chamber when you are ready for it, as long as you have a quality weapon the chances of an AD without your finger pulling the trigger is almost non-existent

the most important thing for your concerns with AD and with kids reaching, grabbing, etc is a holster that completely covers the trigger and trigger guard, no exceptions, whether its on your hip or in your pocket
    and if its not on you its locked up

my 7yo isn't an issue as he saw me carry with my CHL and now as a cop, if I was awake I had a gun on me (always with one in the pipe)
    I first shot a .22 at 5yo and progressed from there, I took my kid shooting a .22 when he was five, he knows now at 7 they are not toys, he doesn't play with them, doesn't touch them unless I'm there with him helping. I'm teaching him the 4 rules and he already indexes the trigger finger when he picks up a handgun or rifle to shoot (right now with me still helping hold it until he is ready).

I tested him by putting one of my unloaded Glocks, with no mag, barrel, or firing pin, set it out on the coffee table in plain view while he was playing an observed him walking by it, reaching onto the table to get other toys, etc, and he would look right at it and never touched it. I did this "test" twice and he never touched it. He knows the Eddie the Eagle material and I'm proud.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links