Carrying With Kids - Seeking Fellow Parents Advice

This is a discussion on Carrying With Kids - Seeking Fellow Parents Advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have 3 kids (8, 4, 3) and I don't make my guns a big secret, they know what they are and what they are ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Carrying With Kids - Seeking Fellow Parents Advice

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

We have 3 kids (8, 4, 3) and I don't make my guns a big secret, they know what they are and what they are capable of. The last thing I want is to be gone and have them overly curious, I feel this way it's not a big deal and it seems to be working - they could care less when they see Daddy wearing a gun, to them it's normal.

Great!

Now... so far I haven't carried with one in the chamber (new to carrying and it's not a comfort zone I'm OK with yet). That said, I am starting to become more open to the idea. My concern is of course my kids... by nature they are climbers, jumpers, curious, and dig into pockets looking for gum, candy, money, whatever - kids being kids.

To fellow parents and those who are around kids a lot - what is your recommendation? Are my worries unjustified? I do tend to worry too much, but I've never felt it was a bad thing - after all, my whole point in carrying unchambered was playing the odds. I feel my chances of needing my gun are lower than the chances of it going off for some stupid reason - we are all human.

I don't want this to get into a debate over one in the pipe or not, I'm looking for some advice, some shared knowledge, perhaps people with similar concerns who have overcome them, etc.

Thanks!

My kids grew up with guns in the house (LEO) it was hanging in my bedroom loaded when not being worn. I advised my kids that they were never to touch it without me being there. I also told them that anytime they wanted to shoot it, to let me know and we would go shoot. They all got around to asking, but not until they were at least in the double digit age range. I took them all out to shoot when they asked, and we've been shooting together ever since, still do. I'm not suggesting that you do this, as I don't know your children. Do what you feel safe with, you can't replace them.
    oneshot likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    A well made holster and belt combination will increase your mental and physical comfort, your firearm will be more secure and better secured to your body. I say that do to my experience because when I was new to carrying, and my kids were much younger than yours are now, I too felt discomfort, I started out with the discount holsters and ignored the belt altogether.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Two kids here - 7 and 4. I always have my guns loaded with one in the chamber simply because I know that if I ever have to use it, there is a very good chance that I wouldn't have time to rack it. I'd rather not carry than leave it unchambered.

But I'm very careful. When the kids were younger, I only carried guns that had external safeties. That would still be the case if my FIL didn't give me a Glock 30 for free. even my pocket gun has an external safety (S&W Bodyguard 380).

Truth is, the major danger of the gun is when it is at home in the safe, which is why:

1) My kids will be taught that the guns are ALWAYS loaded and ready to fire, since most accidents occur with an "unloaded" gun.
    2) They will never know the combo to my safe.

Remember, it's not the chamber that makes the gun safe (or unsafe), but you.

Good luck!
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

A stitch in time...

As a parent and now a Grandparent I applaud you for your inquiring.
    Gun Proof Your Children! by Massad Ayoob is a great place to start your research and fine tune your technique from there.

I have 4 kids, youngest is 5, then 7, then 14 and 18. The younger two can climb on me, get piggy back rides, and the like with my gun safely in it's holster (Galco King Tuck) and chambered round. The holster will not allow for an accidental discharge. You may want to try a OWB holster with a thumb break for more security. But if I wasn't completely confident that my gun was safe with my kids around, I wouldn't wear it. The fact is, guns don't just "go off" by themselves. Take every precaution you can, but you and your children should be safe.

When my brother and I were young and first
    Introduced to firearms my father took us to the
    Range and sat a watermelon on the target bale at 25 yds
    Then hit it with a 12 Gage to show us the power of a gun
    He then told us that's why you don't play with guns. The
    Lesson was one i have remembered my whole life and used
    On my boys when they were of age.

While my son isnt quite as old as yours he is in the stage of crawling all over me and my wife. My current carry is a XD-9sc with a crossbreed IWB and one in the chamber. I am confident that there is no way that he can get his little fingers into the trigger guard. All I can recommend is a quality holster that completley covers the trigger guard and possibly a firearm that requires more than just a pull of the trigger. Best of luck with your decision.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    To me the notion that because one has shown their gun(s) to their kids, that they will somehow no longer be intrigued by guns, is a preposterous scenario to stake an "it's all good now" claim on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    To me the notion that because one has shown their gun(s) to their kids, that they will somehow no longer be intrigued by guns, is a preposterous scenario to stake an "it's all good now" claim on.
    Interesting take that I haven't thought about. I showed mine my gun too. One thing I will say, a 5 year old can say some weird things and if they know I am carrying I'd hate for them to say to a person in line at Wal-Mart "my daddy has a gun in his pants". Something else to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    It certainly varies from child to child. I've found with my own kids (6, 8, 10, 13) that the novelty has worn off. They see it on me every day and it's as interesting to them as my keys, watch, or cell phone. I still keep all but 1 of my firearms unloaded and/or in the safe because it's simply the responsible thing to do when there are so many kids and friends floating around our place.

As to the OP, my kids climb on me constantly. I carry a Kahr PM40... one in the chamber and no external safety. I have a great quality IWB holster and a nice belt to go with it. I have no worries during the course of normal kid/dad roughhousing behavior.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Thanks for all the info guys, really is helpful!

As far as my comment about showing my kids my guns being an "it's all good now" notion, I never said that and hope it wasn't implied. I just find that kids are more curious about what they can't see or know about than something they are familiar with. Ever notice a kid always wants the only toy they can't have?

I don't let my guard down and if a gun isn't on me then it is locked up in the gun safe, period.

Now, when I grew up it was quite different... my dad had shotguns in the corner of his bedroom, shells on the floor next to them - it was never an issue. But, like mentioned - every kid is different.

Anyway, this is getting a little side tracked and I don't mean to go into defense mode. :)

Please keep the tips coming!

For what it's worth, I carry an XDM 9mm Compact or a Kahr PM9. Factory holster for the XDM until Blackhawk makes a Serpa for lefty XDM shooters, and soon a Garrett Industries holster for the PM9, right now it goes in a Blackhawk pocket holster.

Any gun in a Serpa holster is quite safe from climbing kids. Those are very good holsters (albeit not the most concealable IMO).

My two boys are now 5 & 7. I settled on front pocket carry, partly b/c of the kids. When they were younger and I was carrying them alot or they were more climby I used to worry about my shirt or jacket getting pulled/moved and exposing my gun. I've been a lot more comfortable and confident since I switched to pocket carry. But, I think with any quality holster or carry system, you shouldn't be worried about an AD. They both know I carry, but have no idea when or how often, and we've discussed the fact that carrying the gun is a secret that we don't talk about outside the house.

As for guns themselves, IMO all kids are different and need to be dealt with as such. We've spent a lot of time with the boys on gun safety, rules, handling, etc. I can pretty well control what goes on in my home, but I want them to know what to do if they're somewhere else or I'm not around. They both get to do a lot of shooting, so they get to put it into practice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cnauman View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys, really is helpful!

I don't let my guard down and if a gun isn't on me then it is locked up in the gun safe, period.
    No matter what age your kids, 100% compliance is mandatory for all of us.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links