Carry While Hunting? Handgunlaw.us Seeking Information

This is a discussion on Carry While Hunting? Handgunlaw.us Seeking Information within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Deadeye111, That is exactly what I was looking for. I looked at that section but didn't read it far enough. Thank you again!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carry While Hunting? Handgunlaw.us Seeking Information

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Deadeye111, That is exactly what I was looking for. I looked at that section but didn't read it far enough. Thank you again!
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

2. Remove Ads

Hope this helps. NC is confusing. I got the email from NCWRC when I though they had changed the rule for the better, I was wrong. I can't direct you to specific statutes, but I'm sure Amy could help.

Good Morning,

Thank you for the email. I have spoken with our Rules Biologist regarding your question. You are not the first to request information or a clear understanding. Please see below the explanation that was given. Please let me know if you need additional assistance.

Weapons on Game Lands

It is unlawful to possess a firearm or bow and arrow on a game land at any time except:
    1. During the open hunting seasons or hunting days for game birds (which are waterfowl, doves, woodcock; snipe, rails, gallinules, moorhens, coots, grouse, pheasant, quail and turkey) or game animals (which are deer, bear, rabbits, squirrels, wild boar, bobcats, opossum and raccoon) other than fox;
    2. Unless the device is cased or not immediately available for use;
    3. When possessed and used by persons participating in field trials on field trial areas;
    4. When possessed and used on target shooting areas designated by the landowner;
    5. When possessed in designated camping areas for defense of persons and property

However, .22 caliber pistols with barrels not greater than seven and one-half inches in length and shooting only short, long, or long rifle ammunition may be carried as side arms on game lands at any time other than by hunters during the special bow and arrow and muzzle‑loading firearms deer hunting seasons and by individuals training dogs during closed season without field trial authorization.

Furthermore, only shotguns with any size shot and bow and arrow may be possessed during the big game season for turkey.

Previously, you were limited to a shotgun shell no larger than no. 4 and rifle or pistol no larger than .22 rimfire when the big game seasons were closed. By adopting H29, the Commission is allowing hunters to possess more powerful weapons during small game and migratory bird seasons, in addition to their possession during big game seasons, with the exception of turkey season (no handguns and no rifles).

Visit NCWRC Home Page
    to subscribe to Wildlife Email Updates.

Best Regards,
    Amy Willis
    NC Wildlife Resources Commission
    Division of Wildlife Management
    1722 Mail Service Center
    Raleigh, NC 27699-1722
    P: 919-707-0056
    F: 919-707-0067

amy.willis@ncwildlife.org
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

From Indiana's Fish & Wildlife website, 'Deer Hunting Equipment' pdf:

"Carrying Firearms
    It is legal to carry a handgun while hunting deer during the archery, firearm and muzzleloader seasons, as long as the handgun is possessed under a personal protection permit."
    Fast is good but accurate is better.

Gary;
    Re Florida (A bit off topic) OPEN carry OK while fishing or hunting or enroute.
    This is as of right now...if the OC law passes,then always.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links