Do CCW Permit Holders and Gun Owners have a Right to Privacy?? - Page 2

Do CCW Permit Holders and Gun Owners have a Right to Privacy??

This is a discussion on Do CCW Permit Holders and Gun Owners have a Right to Privacy?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We absolutely have a right to privacy and the people that pass these laws know it. They, being against it, though, don't care about our ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Do CCW Permit Holders and Gun Owners have a Right to Privacy??

DC Founder
    We absolutely have a right to privacy and the people that pass these laws know it. They, being against it, though, don't care about our rights to bear arms, our right to privacy or any other right we have because we believe differently than they do....
    Bark'n likes this.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    yes, we absolutely have a right to privacy. It is incredibly irresponsible to print our names and addresses. Might as well give criminals a shopping cart and directions of where to go find guns.
    +1 on this. Publishing the names of law abiding citizens should be a crime. It surely sets all of us up for one. If I am a BG I am searching the list of names in the paper for homes with certified gun ownership. Now that is the craziest thing I have ever heard.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    I found a photo of this state Attorney General in Illinois, Lisa Madigan, that wants to give the press access to the list of registered gun owners in the state.

I suspect that she may not be a friend to gun owners:

What is looney to me is states that make CCW-holder names available under the guise of "public information," but conceal names of licensed drivers or vehicle owners... and that information seems to be protected like national security secrets.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Indiana protects our identities by state law
    oneshot likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    I think the idea goes way back, maybe thousands of years. Even after the Civil War it was fairly common to parade a criminal through the streets so the towns people could throw stones at them. The practice is still common in several undeveloped countries.

Some years ago I lived in Iowa. They had State run liquor stores. A record of who bought what was kept. Names were published in the local news papers. The town drunk of the week could easily be a prominent banker. If it happened to be a school teacher, it would be the talk of the town. Once the state liquor stores were voted out, it was no longer public record and names could no longer be published.

Somehow certain people think guns are evil and owners names should be made public. I don't agree. Some people just can't mind their own business.

Lisa Madigan, she's a real piece of work. She is one homely woman. Always looks angry too.

If it's not illegal it's legal. I see no reason to treat a legal gun owner like a criminal by calling attention to them.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

There is no "Public right to know" ...... period.

Protection of a person's privacy, is just that.

Identity theft is a result of people and companies not recognizing that.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    We had this debate here in Oregon in recent years, and our state legislature was fortunately wise enough to pass legislation keeping information about Oregon's Concealed Handgun License holders private. Is your state doing the same?.
    Hola,

I dont mean to hijack, but this is related, promise :)

Hate to rain on your parade. But the Oregon Legislature actually has not passed this law yet. There was a bill introduced introduced in 2009 that would have accomplished this but it was "gutted and stuff" at the last moment that made it's passage un-palatable to people who value gun rights.

There are currently two bills - HB 2787 which passed the house with overwhelming support.. But unfortunatly its sister bill SB 582 is stuck in the Senate Judiciary.

See:

Oregon Firearms Federation
    and

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Should the names of citizens with permits to carry handguns concealed be kept private? Or should their names be made public by the state government? This issue is being argued in some states currently. Should the fact that you have a license to carry be public knowledge, simply because of the public's so-called "right to know"? Or does an individual's right to privacy instead trump that??

Reporter John Stossel argues in this editorial that gun owners do have a right to privacy:

John Stossel: Gun owners have a right to privacy - Friday, Apr. 8, 2011

Amazingly, it is even worse in the state of Illinois. In Illinois, the liberal state attorney general, Lisa Madigan, wants to release the names of ALL GUN OWNERS IN THE ENTIRE STATE to the press!!

Is that not insane? How could any government official be so dumb? Fortunately, the NRA is fighting her in court over her plans. Here is a recent report:

Illinois Judge Restrains Attorney General Lisa Madigan: Illinois Conservative Examiner

Of course, I realize that Illinois is sort of an extreme case, due to all of the documented cases of corruption there by public officials. But these same sort of arguments are being made currently in many other states.

What is the best response to make against these allegations that the public has a right to know who owns or carries a gun?

We had this debate here in Oregon in recent years, and our state legislature was fortunately wise enough to pass legislation keeping information about Oregon's Concealed Handgun License holders private. Is your state doing the same?

All of us have a right to privacy, but PUBLIC records are, well.......Public. However, the Government itself (I mean local authorities, State, whatever) publishing certain records - which may jeopardize those "targeted" - I think is an interesting legal question because availability of Public Records being available to the public does not mean the same as use by the authorities to punish various individuals exercising their Constitutional Rights - seems an abridgment by the Government. It would be different if a private organization or individual did this, but the government itself? I would think some group would challenge the constitutionality of a case like this. After all, we are not criminals.

Why don't they publish lists of those convicted of violent felonies? Why legal citizens? Just for the hell of it? Of course not, they wish to put impediments in the way of those engaging in rights the Constitution protects. To me, the Supremes would say: STOP IT!

But who am I after all, just a nobody whose taxes pay these officials' salaries...........

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Of course we do. I think the names of license holders should be kept private.

In Arkansas we're protected by state law.A local paper did publish the names a couple of years back and got into a lot of hot water.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RRizzo View Post
    Hola,

I dont mean to hijack, but this is related, promise :)

Hate to rain on your parade. But the Oregon Legislature actually has not passed this law yet. There was a bill introduced introduced in 2009 that would have accomplished this but it was "gutted and stuff" at the last moment that made it's passage un-palatable to people who value gun rights.

There are currently two bills - HB 2787 which passed the house with overwhelming support.. But unfortunatly its sister bill SB 582 is stuck in the Senate Judiciary.

See:

and

I guess I had just heard about it passing the House before. I thought it was a done deal. Seemed at the time that all of the politicians said that it made sense to keep the information private.

Prozanski is a weasel, I already know that. No surprise there.

What on earth could be the reason that the Democratic caucus is against this??

Insanity. I should have realized that things in Salem are getting worse.

Poppy, are you 100% positive the names/addresses can no longer be published in the state of Arkansas??? If memory serves me correctly, they said the names and zip codes could still be published. I am an Arkie, and would like to see it in "Black & White". Don't trust poiticians any more.

I think CHL holders information should remain PRIVATE!
    There was a brew-ha-ha a few years ago in OH when the CLEVELAND PLAIN DEALER began publishing the names and addresses of permit holders in the surrounding counties.
    I wasn't really concerned since I don't live near Cleveland, but I have no idea if the PLAIN DEALER continues this practice.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I think we all should have a right to privacy, but it's getting to be impossible.

For example, identity theft begins with having a name associated with an address. I shred everything with my name, address, and any personal information on it and have an unpublished home phone number. But I can search for my address on the internet and get the names and ages of both me and my spouse, and my "unpublished" phone number. So all that shredding is really a waste of effort.
    Last edited by Anubis; April 9th, 2011 at 09:34 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links