Do CCW Permit Holders and Gun Owners have a Right to Privacy?? - Page 3

Do CCW Permit Holders and Gun Owners have a Right to Privacy??

This is a discussion on Do CCW Permit Holders and Gun Owners have a Right to Privacy?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hiram25 In Delaware you have to advertise in a local newspaper that you are applying for a CCDW license, it must run ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Do CCW Permit Holders and Gun Owners have a Right to Privacy??

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    In Delaware you have to advertise in a local newspaper that you are applying for a CCDW license, it must run for 5 days. You then have to have 5 people other than family sign for you, get fingerprinted and a background check, take a class and pass, class includes range time, get two passport photos, fill out the permit request and put a check with it for about $60. Then your paperwork goes to Superior Court and if they deem you worthy, you get your permit. They sort of blow your privacy right out the window with the newspaper requirement.
    ^^^^^^^This is simply overboard/ridiculous!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^

I almost find it funny in a sense , like that guy who had the sign on his lawn with an ARROW pointing to his neighbors house, stating something like," My neighbors want to ban all guns,,,,,,,

The thugs could easily figure out which houses to rob, based solely on that fact!!!
    Attached Images
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    We absolutely have a right to privacy and the people that pass these laws know it. They, being against it, though, don't care about our rights to bear arms, our right to privacy or any other right we have because we believe differently than they do....
    You are 100% correct in their motives for publishing this info. They are so smug it makes me want to
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

In RI the names of CCW permit holders are private and can not be shared per 11-47-11 and 11-47-18.

11-47-11
    11-47-18

However, there is nothing preventing the licensing authority to release the names of applicants. A friend of mine applied in a town that doesn't issue permits even though they are required by law to do so, and the police went and interviewed his neighbors about him and said he was applying for a permit to carry a gun. The police found no reason not to issue based on everything they knew, so the chief added another requirement: a psychological test administered at a state university. If it wasn't bad enough that he wanted him to take the test, when he contacted the university, they said there wasn't even such a test... This should be an easy case for the courts, but it costs thousands of dollars and the chief will probably do the same for the next applicant.

Here is the bill that will prevent the names for applicants to be released. Unfortunately, the bill came as a surprise on many of us and we weren't able to testify on the bill and it was held for further study.
    http://www.rifol.org/attachments/File/H5121.pdf

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    I guess I had just heard about it passing the House before. I thought it was a done deal.
    In this state, virtually everything passes the House, only to get torpedoed in the Senate.

Kansas , made it a crime to divulge if someone has a CC permit. So, no LEO, newspaper, anyone in the Govt, at the DL bureau where we get our permits, etc. are allowed to divulge that info. to anyone else.

What brought this up was a local newspaper wanted the info to print it in the paper. Funny thing was, that several people threatened to take out ads in competiting publications the names, address and phone number of every employee of the newspaper, and all LEO's if they did. The legislature reacted very quickly by passing and moving the law thru for the Gov's signature.
    oneshot likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    What brought this up was a local newspaper wanted the info to print it in the paper.
    Very hard to imagine how a newspaper could justify doing this. But some newspapers are owned by some very radical types. So I could see this happening.

We all have a pretend expectation of privacy; CCW or not the patriot act ensures no American citizen has the right to privacy any longer.
    Anubis likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Very hard to imagine how a newspaper could justify doing this. But some newspapers are owned by some very radical types. So I could see this happening.
    Lance, this has already happened in Oregon. It began in 2008.

Jack Moran of the Eugene Register-Guard started it, and many others, including the Oregonian followed suit. The Sheriffs originally refused to release the information, but the newspapers sued them for the information and won in some cases. So many counties had to supply the papers with the names and addresses of every CHL holder in their area. As we speak, Ryan Kost of the Oregonian is seeking the same for all Washington County holders.

There was legislation introduced in 2009 to protect the information of CHL holders, but it was neutered to the point of irrelevance by Rep. Judy Stiegler. There is new legislation that has passed the house, but Senate Judiciary Committe chairman Floyd Prozanski had said that he will likely not send the bill to the senate floor for a vote, even though he "supports the bill." Yeah right.

Here is the OFF Alert from back when it started.

A little gem from the Oregonian:
    "We've always appreciated the fact that you could check whether your road-raging next-door neighbor also had the sheriff's permission to pack heat in an ankle holster."

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Until the New World Order and its evil have their way (we Patriots hope never)....we have this little document called the Constitution that SAYS WE DO!
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Desertrat View Post
    Until the New World Order and its evil have their way (we Patriots hope never)....we have this little document called the Constitution that SAYS WE DO!
    You are correct we do; and based on the P-act I guess is a (right wing order) for lack of a better catch phrase..... that is all it is a piece of paper. The right wing is a bit more cleaver than the left. They enact legislation to remove the 4th amendment yet leave any talk about the constitution out of it, then give it a good name Patriot act; what could be wrong with anything that has the word patriot in it??? No you no longer have a protected right to privacy.. But the patriot act keeps us all safe???? I see you are a fan of Patrick Henry, I am sure one of his quotes have been re adressed to say "Take some of my liberty to keep me safe???" The pretend new world order had nothing to do with this travisty

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    Perhaps the govt (state and fed) should publish the names of individuals who receive welfare, food stamps, SSI payment for themselves or children and the recipients should tell us how they spend the money.
    Maybe they should publish a list of those people that rent adult videos or frequent prostitutes. Of course if we removed the politicians from that list it would get a lot shorter!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links