Acquire permit for hand gun in Missouri - Page 2

Acquire permit for hand gun in Missouri

This is a discussion on Acquire permit for hand gun in Missouri within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thank you everyone for the grat info. I feel much more confident now. My instructor for my CCW class (John Ross). Said that they are ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thank you everyone for the grat info. I feel much more confident now.

My instructor for my CCW class (John Ross). Said that they are working on pushing a law through that would allow people with Missouri CCW permits to purchase without the paperwork, but this is all still in the works and may never see the light of day.

Thanks again,
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Burton
    Thank you everyone for the grat info. I feel much more confident now.

My instructor for my CCW class (John Ross). Said that they are working on pushing a law through that would allow people with Missouri CCW permits to purchase without the paperwork, but this is all still in the works and may never see the light of day.

Thanks again,
    Ben
    Ben,

I encourage you again to check out www.missouricarry.com this is the place to find out and ask as many questions you might have to ccw in Missouri, John Ross is a member of MC and was my instructor as well. You will learn an incredible amount of information on ccw as well as many other topics that may be of interest and could concern you and your 2nd amendment rights.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

There is a thread on www.missouricarry.com called "I was DENIED a PTA. Check it out!
    Press the fight!

You are in ST. Louis County, that means a 7 day wait after you fill out the paperwork. You are lucky becuase they shoot pretty straight. In Jackson County (KC area) the sheriff is on a power trip and asks for information not included in the law. That issue will probably hit the courts and the sheriff does not have a leg to stand on.

I live in a rural county and I am in and out in 5 minutes. I have purchased a few and they don't even call the state police anymore. With that permit I can buy a handgun and leave it up to the dealer to send the sheriff a copy with the make/model/cal/serial number.

For $10 the sheriff's are not all that pleased. We hope our legislature addresses this, but since they over-road the governor's veto and we got CCW they probably think they have done enough.

...My instructor for my CCW class (John Ross). Said ...
    I know JR, he's a very well respected instructor, a very good author, and all around good guy. Good pick for an instructor... I'd listen to his advice! He's got more experience negotiating firearm laws than anyone else I've ever met.

+1 on checking with Missouri Carry for more 'local' information. I'm on the other end of the state, so my experience with MO's P(I)TA process will be different from yours. The whole process differs depending on your Sheriff. I've heard some horror stories about St. Louis, and Jackson County can be a nightmare. I'm in Clay County, it's not so bad here:

For me, I drop by the Sherriff's office, lady at the desk says 'Hi Chris, you need one or two this time?' Fill out the card, hand over my cash, and I'm out'a there with my permit. Normally less than 10 minutes.

Hopefully, we'll get rid of this ineffective, redundant, unconstitutional law in the near future.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

I went and put a deposit down on a XD .40 and now I need a little help with the paperwork. I live in St. Louis county and would apreciate any help anyone can give me on getting my acquire permit so I can actualy pick up my gun.

Thanks,
    Ben
    ******, stop following me.

Where did you go to buy? Did you go to that place Al told you about?

John told us that we had to go to the Sherriffs offeice to get the permit. Every time my dad bought one in the past, he went to the courthouse downtown. So it may have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by mpbond
    ******, stop following me.

Where did you go to buy? Did you go to that place Al told you about?

John told us that we had to go to the Sherriffs offeice to get the permit. Every time my dad bought one in the past, he went to the courthouse downtown. So it may have changed.
    I found out I can go to any St. Louis County office to apply , but I have to go to Clayton to pick up the permit. I will not have it payed off for a month or so, so I will apply for the permit in two weeks or so.

I also put a Kel-tec P-3AT on hold for Kim, but I think I may keep it if I like it and get her something a little bigger.

Ben

I found out I can go to any St. Louis County office to apply , but I have to go to Clayton to pick up the permit. I will not have it payed off for a month or so, so I will apply for the permit in two weeks or so.

I also put a Kel-tec P-3AT on hold for Kim, but I think I may keep it if I like it and get her something a little bigger.

Ben
    Cool. Bring em to the shop when you get them. We can go to the range right down the street.

I think I am leaning towards the Glock 19 for starters.

I don't think I could hide the 1911 with my size.

Y'all need to move to Jefferson County...in and out with a permit in hand in about 10 minutes.
    Press the fight!

I'm glad I no longer live in St. Louis county. The other week I walked into a local (Memphis) gun store, picked out two, they ran a background check on me in 5 minutes and I walked out the door with the two guns.

BTW, Mo. won't mail you the purchase permit, they will mail you a letter saying that it can be picked up at HQ, involving another drive to Clayton. I used to live in Creve Couer, but it was still a PITA to jump through all of those hoops.

VIP Member
    Clay County will issue in about 10-15 minutes. What gets me is that they issue between 8 AM and 4 PM M-F. I am about 22 miles from the Court House. So driving over there, getting the permit and driving back is basically 2 hours out of my day (last trip clocked at 1:47). Time off work, fuel and the fee add about $100 to my purchase.

My solution is I'm not buying anymore handguns until the PTA is removed or I move out of Missouri. I am doing my part to get the PTA removed at this point. Didn't get done this year, so hoping for next year.

Could be worse though, I could be in a county that would require two trips and about four hours off work. It just adds a lot to the cost of a handgun to do all this stuff because years ago they didn't want blacks owning handguns in Missouri.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Perry County MO; $10, fill out a 1 page form; must know dealer info or you can indicated gun show, etc. Our's takes a day or two just for processing the form.

MO is a shall issue. They must issue unless there's something in the checks that disqualify. If they deny you can question. Permit to acquire is nothing more than pseudo gun registration in my opinion and ought to be eliminated. You have to use your PTA within so many days or it expires. 30 I do believe.

Oh well....

Gideon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links