Acquire permit for hand gun in Missouri

This is a discussion on Acquire permit for hand gun in Missouri within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went and put a deposit down on a XD .40 and now I need a little help with the paperwork. I live in St. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acquire permit for hand gun in Missouri

Acquire permit for hand gun in Missouri

I went and put a deposit down on a XD .40 and now I need a little help with the paperwork. I live in St. Louis county and would apreciate any help anyone can give me on getting my acquire permit so I can actualy pick up my gun.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. Remove Ads

Don't know what it's like in Mo., but have you called your local police department? In Minn. it's called a permit to purchase a handgun, and it is gotten through your PD. If this isn't the proper location I'm sure they can tell you where, or the shop that is selling you the gun should know..

PS: welcome Ben/Burton

Thanks for the quick reply. I am pretty sure I can do it at my local county police sub station, but I was looking more for what kind of info I need to bring and tips to make it go smooth.

Ben

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    You need to go to your county sheriffs office with all the guns info serial #, make, model, ect. and in their own sweet time they will have a permit that you can pick up from them to go and get your gun. This is to check if the gun is stolen but in St Louis County I think you may get some anti crap. As St Louis and K C seem to have some local LEO's wanting to rewrite the CCW laws and your rights to have and buy.

Local Sheriff is the place to start

Bill

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    When I purchase from my local gun dealer he faxes all the info to the county sheriff and I pick up the paper work and pistol 3 days later. My advise is to just call the local county sheriff office and I am sure they will tell you all you need to know. Also for more info about Missouri you might want to check out missouricarry . com great info and good people there.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I live in St. Louis County (south county) and that is not how it worked for me. To my best knowledge (and the way I did it) you go to the police headquarters in Clayton and reqest a gun permit. You will do some paper work and then hand this to the clerk. You will then pay 10 dollars for each permit and you are allowed 3 at one time. Then you have to go through your waiting period so they can check up on you. If I remember right, I think it is 7 or 10 days. You then take your permits to your dealer and make the purchases that you want. You do not have to have a gun picked out before your permits. After purchasing your gun there is another 7 day wait untill you can recieve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy
    I live in St. Louis County (south county) and that is not how it worked for me. To my best knowledge (and the way I did it) you go to the police headquarters in Clayton and reqest a gun permit. You will do some paper work and then hand this to the clerk. You will then pay 10 dollars for each permit and you are allowed 3 at one time. Then you have to go through your waiting period so they can check up on you. If I remember right, I think it is 7 or 10 days. You then take your permits to your dealer and make the purchases that you want. You do not have to have a gun picked out before your permits. After purchasing your gun there is another 7 day wait untill you can recieve it.

This is mostly correct except there is no additional 7 day wait after you receive your PTA. Once you have yor PTA you take it to the dealer give it to him pick out your handgun, the dealer fills it out and sends completed PTA back to county police. The dealer will run a NICS, if all goes well you take your new handgun home with you right then and there.

Is there still all these hoops to jump through if you have a CCW?
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    The Official Govt. Info.

Missouri Concealed Weapons Law-

http://www.mshp.dps.mo.gov/MSHPWeb/P...es/SHP-863.pdf
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by ENSANE1970
    Is there still all these hoops to jump through if you have a CCW?
    Yep, but no waiting period! you still need a PTA (permit to aquire) though. It's BS.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    Yep, but no waiting period! you still need a PTA (permit to aquire) though. It's BS.

Ti.

That sucks, here in SC with my CCW, I walk in pick out a gun. No waiting, just the usual paperwork, then out the door. I guess here they feel, if you go the extra mile to get the permit, they cut you some slack. IMO it should be that way everywhere. We're considered responsible enough to carry a weapon, we should be considered by our state, to be responsible enough to buy one. As you said Ti, nothing but BS.
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HoggLegg
    This is mostly correct except there is no additional 7 day wait after you receive your PTA. Once you have yor PTA you take it to the dealer give it to him pick out your handgun, the dealer fills it out and sends completed PTA back to county police. The dealer will run a NICS, if all goes well you take your new handgun home with you right then and there.

You are correct. Its been awhile for me.

Permit to Acquire?? Is that like asking "mother-may-I" to the state to purchase a firearm?? I've heard of this in MA, but MO?...not so sure I like that.

Can they willfully deny you a PTA? or is this a money-making scheme?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229
    Permit to Acquire?? Is that like asking "mother-may-I" to the state to purchase a firearm?? I've heard of this in MA, but MO?...not so sure I like that.

Can they willfully deny you a PTA? or is this a money-making scheme?

As far as I know, no they can not if your record is clean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links