This (Otherwise Fine) Jewelry Store Chain Does Not Want OUR Money; please comment. - Page 2

This (Otherwise Fine) Jewelry Store Chain Does Not Want OUR Money; please comment.

This is a discussion on This (Otherwise Fine) Jewelry Store Chain Does Not Want OUR Money; please comment. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to a local Jared, and bought my wife a nice ring for our anniversary. I was carrying at the time, and didn't even ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This (Otherwise Fine) Jewelry Store Chain Does Not Want OUR Money; please comment.

Senior Moderator
    I went to a local Jared, and bought my wife a nice ring for our anniversary. I was carrying at the time, and didn't even notice the sign on my way in.

When I went back to pick it up after sizing, I was carrying.

Never even got a second look from the mall ninja security guard. He could not have been carrying one more thing on his belt if he tried. I counted three pairs of cuffs, some form of spray, a pistol, 2 or three mag holders, a flashlight, a collapsable baton, a phone and a pager. He'd have needed a wagon for one more tacti-cool accessory.

In Florida, their signage means precisely squat. IF they discovered my gun, they could ask me to leave. IF I didn't, then they could charge me with trespassing.

They apparently had no clue I was carrying, despite the NRA T-shirt.

:D

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Yeah

I'm with Cruisr. Of course that would mean that you'd have to present your carry permit to someone other than a LEO, but hey... I think they'd have better luck with that.

I can understand that they are trying to prevent "false alarms" for people who may accidentaly expose their carry or for people who open carry. But beyond that, I am essentially lost. How can you think that someone who is bent on robbing the place would give two pennies for a stenciled sign.

Sadly, they've lost my business and my friends business.

The store clearly cannot be addressing the criminal element, because they would have to be able to read first. Any store with that kind of notice is making a liberal (sheeple) statement, and it can only address those who have the right to carry. I would never go back again. I have, in fact done just that with a store my wife loved.

Well that chain just lost my business. My wife and i are going jewelery shopping this next weekend.Now i can scratch them off our list.She has a CCW permit also. A couple of the Wally-Worlds down here in my neck o' de woods tried that crap a few years ago. The boycott that soon followed showed them the error of their ways and it did'nt take long for the "No Guns Allowed " type signs to dissappear.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Assistant Administrator
    To all folks so far in the thread - despite agencyman's plan to send the thread - do please if you intend to remove your business let them know somehow.

I sometimes wonder if companies foresee the possible ramifications of depriving honest folks of their legitimate means of protection. Could be the only thing that would bring it home is if someone was carrying and completely averted a robbery and harm to staff. Not even sure then.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    The Jared's here in Colorado are posted too. Must be corporate policy.

As English has the word "theocracy" for denoting rule by religious leaders, I have long thought there should be an English word meaning "rule by lawyers".

Well said there 95, as always.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

nah ! never will grace any of their stores ! Shows you just how much they care about their pennies instead of customers....'
    They just don't have a clue.

Like Ron White, aka "Tater" says, YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!
    So does that mean that if a hold-up guy comes in he can't bring a gun/weapon with him? Must only need a strongly worded note!!
    Their insurance company must LOVE them...

Well, though the sign wouldnt mean a damn thing from a legal standpoint in WA, I won't do business with them on principle. That I guess is made easier by the far superior E.E. Robbins store we have up here that has no such sign.

It's interesting that an armed guard is stationed at a jewelry store.....we have armed guards virtually nowhere here in WA, certainly not in jewelry stores.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    You can add me to the list of those who won't do business with them until this ignorant policy is rescinded. Their sign, as posted, would include police officers, as well as Concealed Weapon Licensees. Also let them know how much they aren't getting and their competitors are.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    All I can say about them is, Hope no one buys anything from them, goes anywhere near their store. And last but NOT least , I hope they go broke.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Request

Hey do you have, offhand, the address where we should lodge written complaints?

... the place is ripe for being done over.
    Posting such prohibitions on signs is such effective advertisement for exactly that. It screams to the criminal element: "This jewelry store with extensive inventory is, by policy, undefended. Come 'n' get it." Heck, it's like ringing the dinner bell to a pack of Pavlov's finest. It would be truly interesting to know exactly how many times they've been rolled over.

While on the one hand I agree that private property rights must be respected, it's hard to respect such a policy when the effect is so exactly the opposite of what's intended. Typical blind faith in the "reading skills" and humanity of criminals.

I will try to get a name, phone, and e-mail address again. I never got that call back so just sent a nearly-blind e-mail. I still want the rationale from the top doggie, how he words that may be right out of "talking points" for a S. Brady style organization.

The following is from a post on another forum right after it happened.

..and was distressed to think that the management would have thought I was such a danger to their "gun-free zone". I also thought about what would have happened to that guard if 4 or 5 gangbangers, lookin' to pillage, had just arrived and stormed on in. Mainly, I wondered if he would have lived long enough to "see them in".

So I've called their corporate and talked to a couple of nice people, one of whom is trying to get me a name and e-mail address of a Policy Maker. The one I spoke with, not at all defensive or evasive, genuinely believed that it made their stores safer for customers and staff, by being "gun-free". She was astonished to learn that a hundred thousand or so Tennesseans would be unlikely to go into their stores and spend money. She even seemed to sort of apologize that I was one of those henceforth turned away.

we need some stats on:

1. Demographics, (financial, education), on CCW holders for each state.
    2. Crime info, and examples, such as aftermath data, that could show the positive side of CCW presence at armed robberies.
    3. Quotes from anybody that would seem credible to a Policy Maker at any establishment like Jared's, that I mentioned above.

If you have any good suggestions, post them here, or e-mail me, if you wish to keep a low profile. Try to keep this in mind as you stumble accross new web pages, or other sources. I will try to put the info into a coherent package, and make it available to all. Obscure sites and blogs have some good material, keep your "Notepad" handy!

Thanks,
    Bruce Hinton
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.-- Yoda
    G4W is now, be "Vigilant Always" - Bruce, (vet)USASA, NRA, IDPA, USPSA, IHMSA, & USCCA!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links