This (Otherwise Fine) Jewelry Store Chain Does Not Want OUR Money; please comment.

This is a discussion on This (Otherwise Fine) Jewelry Store Chain Does Not Want OUR Money; please comment. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It reads fine and makes sense to me and probably the other CC'ers, but I wonder if your use of slang and abbreviations that are ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This (Otherwise Fine) Jewelry Store Chain Does Not Want OUR Money; please comment.

It reads fine and makes sense to me and probably the other CC'ers, but I wonder if your use of slang and abbreviations that are peculiar to the gun world, would have made any sense and come across as a kook, to an anti or non gunner. Hence it would go directly to the circular file.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I was sent to a physical therapist office and came across a no
    firearms sign's .I spoke to owner and she said it was the corporation
    that she was partner's .I told her in Maine her sign was not right
    it was her companies policy so she could take it down or I would
    go else where went back to my doc and gave him my point of view of spending my hard earned money where my views ruN counter to
    business that working on me and how did he think this would be a healing experience? He agreed and respected my believes.

Administrator

Post Totally Off Base

I agree that his letter to the management (while certainly well intentioned) was not at all written correctly or clearly in order to make his point.

Phrases like "Snuffed Out" - "Pro-Hit" - "Condition White" - "Car Banger" - are inappropriate. - In addition I would be wondering what an "SO" was.

And the fact that you say that SO FAR you have resisted the urge to "shoot any places up" would have prompted me to immediately call the police wondering if you were disgruntled & vindictive.
    Perhaps possibly looking for revenge because you were offended by their sign or could not enter their store while armed.

If I received that letter as the manager of a jewelry store I would have immediately turned it over to the police & had them decipher it and pay the sender a ***!? visit.

It reads as being way too militaristic and confused & your description of the ineffectiveness of the security guard to defend himself (or the establishment) could easily be taken two ways.
    Like...maybe YOU could easily take that Security Officer out.

The talk of "clear stones" in combination with mention of the "extensive inventory" sounds borderline criminal.

Please don't take this personally but, do all of us legally armed citizens a huge favor and don't send any more letters.

I am not attacking the messenger but, only the message and the message was terrible.
    Just my opinion on that.

QK, pretty much right on with that analysis.

I was miffed that no one would get back to me, and tried to be too flippant, though still being actually polite and respectful of the policy.

I don't think it was quite so ominous as you say, but that's how it comes out when you type late at night.

My S.O. (significant other) should have been spelled out too. If I could actually get a management type's adress, I would definitely be writing a more conventional business letter. The clear stones was meant to evoke the idea of selling diamonds, rather than say, inexpensive earrings.

As for the "so far resisted", it was way too sarcastic, but responding to some of the extreme antigun folks who portray us as on the edge of turning everywhere we go to a wild west shootout.

Hope I can be forgiven my little tantrum, I won't write any more like that, as directed.

B.
    Last edited by Agencyman; July 23rd, 2006 at 10:17 AM.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.-- Yoda
    G4W is now, be "Vigilant Always" - Bruce, (vet)USASA, NRA, IDPA, USPSA, IHMSA, & USCCA!

Administrator
    Hi Agencyman

I did not mean to come across as being cruel.

It's just that I work with Left Wing Liberal Anti~Gunners every day.

In dealing with them you need to realize that they see no reason for guns to exist at all.

They associate Guns with Criminals and using "Criminal Gun Terms" like "Snuffed Out" & "Hit" - which are common "Mafia Mob Terms" for Assassination & Murder will always be read the wrong way by them.

If you want to ever make a point with them then you need to either approach them on their terms or just leave them alone.

Especially after 9/11 & the School & Mall Shootings - you have got to be extremely careful how you write to anybody because they are already extremely "hopped up" and told to watch out for ANYTHING Suspicious...or even out of the ordinary.

So you have to always make "extra sure" that your letter is not misunderstood as being possibly threatening.

So writing about how easily their Security Guard could be "taken out" would instantly raise a Red Flag with any business owner.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

And I still want to contact them, if I can find out who, so all these comments are good. Shows more than my one short sighted comment, other points of consideration.

I will apologize in advance for the jargon-laden murky email, because the underlying message is about:

1. Their store's actual safety regarding that posted policy. The way they implement it by not using an incognito guard, the actual safety of the staff and customers.

2. Economics! Keeping CCW'er out does not make their stores more safe, and they are a signifcant buying population, proven to have a fair amount of dicretionary income. (Most are guys, and buying jewelry for the wife or girlfriend helps balance our spending on the weapons front).

But I still won't be patronizing their place as long as that is the policy. Whether the sign makes legal requirements is not my concern, I'll take it as their stance anyway.

B.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.-- Yoda
    G4W is now, be "Vigilant Always" - Bruce, (vet)USASA, NRA, IDPA, USPSA, IHMSA, & USCCA!

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    "Parking Lot"
    You don't even want me to leave my gun in my car when I spend money in your place?
    How can I read this sign as I pull in?
    Yeah, my money goes someplace else.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Do they really think a robber will turn around and leave when he see's the sign?

Assistant Administrator
    How can I read this sign as I pull in?
    Imagined scenario - hypothetical of course -

Large bunch of folks turn up - wallets bulging, all CCW's.

Queue forms at front and as first person reads notice, they open door a hair and call in - ''sorry can't do business because of your sign''. This is repeated for every other person in the line. Might make a point.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Imagined scenario - hypothetical of course -

Large bunch of folks turn up - wallets bulging, all CCW's.

Queue forms at front and as first person reads notice, they open door a hair and call in - ''sorry can't do business because of your sign''. This is repeated for every other person in the line. Might make a point.
    But probabaly not, these people are not on the same wave length as normal people. You could stop a B/G as he was leaving after a robbery, they would still find you at fault for carrying. There is no middle ground with these people. Take away all the gun, then the knives,then bats,then bricks, but someone is always to blame for the things that are going on wrong,they just don't want anyone to be responsible for taking care of themselves.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Well, as we all realize, the whole thing is stupid. It doesn't deter the BG's, most of whom probably couldn't read the sign anyway. We have a few where I live, including most gun shops. I won't patronize them.

Administrator
    A business establishment is normally open to the general public.
    It is still basically privately owned property though.
    The business owner still retains certain property rights.

The business is considered to be almost an extension of the home.

The business owner DECIDES:
    No Food - No Drink - No Smoking - No Pets - No Bare Feet - Dress Jacket Required - you all get the general idea.

If a business owner decides that he does NOT want firearms on his property then obviously he is anti-gun so Don't Go In There & Go Spend Your Hard Earned Money Someplace Else.

He obviously does not want your money...or your business if you intend to carry a firearm into HIS jewelry store AKA his property...so don't go in there.

I Would Not Want To Patronize or GIVE my money to an Anti-Gun business anyway.

This jewelry store has obviously already made a business decision that they Do Not want your money if you carry a firearm onto their property. That is their Constitutional Right. We might not like it but, it is still their legal right. They don't want your money.

That would be the same way they would not want your money if they posted Shirt & Shoes Required - If you walked in there with bare feet or without a shirt on - they would throw you out - as they don't want your money if you are shirtless or shoeless.

I would NOT be fighting and and writing letters and figuring out a way to spend my Pro-Gun Money at his Anti-Gun business.

That would be exactly the same way if a person would not want me to walk in his/her house with my shoes on...if I felt that I had to keep my shoes on...I would not go into that house & I would not be fighting with that person to try to convince them to let me into that house with my shoes on.
    I would just say to myself: "Screw You I'm Not Going Into Your Damn House."

Am I completely alone here on this?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    He obviously does not want your money... so don't go in there. Am I completely alone here on this?
    The power of boycott. Works every time (individually) and very well. About the only thing that can be done, given the property rights thing. No getting around that. Nor would we want to, since that is a principle truly worth fighting for.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I would NOT be fighting and and writing letters and figuring out a way to spend my Pro-Gun Money at his Anti-Gun business.
    I agree, but I think you do need to let the business know that you aren't spending money there anymore, and why--otherwise, they won't know what's up.

Oh, oh. I take my shoes off in my house.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links