This (Otherwise Fine) Jewelry Store Chain Does Not Want OUR Money; please comment.

This (Otherwise Fine) Jewelry Store Chain Does Not Want OUR Money; please comment.

This is a discussion on This (Otherwise Fine) Jewelry Store Chain Does Not Want OUR Money; please comment. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently went into a new Jared's jewelry store in Chattanooga, and was looking at black-faced dress watches with no numerals, and some glittery stuff ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I recently went into a new Jared's jewelry store in Chattanooga, and was looking at black-faced dress watches with no numerals, and some glittery stuff for someone special!

I checked out the security guard at the front door as I went in: A S&W 4" mo. 10 or 13, and though he may have had one or two, I remember no speedloaders on his belt; and the guy, bless his heart, had a matching weight and age of about 85. I only had good thoughts for his spirit, but his safety was my major concern. If ever there was a "take me down first" poster guy, he is him.

I had my P3AT in LF pocket, in a Desantis stand up assist, and a spare .380 mag in RF pocket, a working Winchester pocket knife clipped in RR pocket, and a fingerhole waved Kerambit clipped in LF pocket. IWB at 3:30 in Kydex, a Glock 34, with a spare 17 rd. mag alongside my wallet in LR pocket.

My summer sport jacket was doin' its work fine! We shopped, I had a mind to come back and do the layaway thing. Then on the way out - WHOA, check out the stencilling on the glass. I was watching the lot on the way in, just didn't see it.

Well, can't go back in now, ever again, want to do right by them. But I wrote this e-mail to them, still unanswered after several months.

Attn: Policies & Management,

As I entered your store in Chattanooga, I was observing the parking lot, and missed your stencilled window sign about weapons. I apologize. [here I listed my EDC] I noticed that your security guard was frail, and under equipped, arms-wise, and would be snuffed out in the first few milliseconds of even a semi-pro hit . He was up front, in uniform, on a stool, and in what we who are trained, call "condition white". (I still tremble).

I wonder that your policies regarding your guards is such that it puts them in such tremendous danger and situational disadvantage.

If a car load of armed bangers were to have dropped in for some discount shopping, he would have had no hope. Your staff's and your customers' lives would be at their whim, and believe me, these guys sometimes kill on the way out for fun or frustration.

I wish you would reconsider your policy, since the staff was knowledgable, the prices very sharp, inventory extensive, and I was already planning to sneak back without my S.O. and lay away a necklace with those "clear stones".

But, alas, I cannot. I would, under NO circumstances, ever enter your fine establishment unarmed.

A few of my ilk occasionally in your store, would terrorize neither your staff or customers. (I have carried firearms for almost thirty years, and have so far resisted the urge to shoot up the establisments I patronize).

If you just thought about it... Oops, there I go again!
    Please leave pithy, concise, cleanly worded, comments. I want to send the whole thread them when it gets filled out a bit!
    B.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Agencyman; July 23rd, 2006 at 09:41 AM.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.-- Yoda
    G4W is now, be "Vigilant Always" - Bruce, (vet)USASA, NRA, IDPA, USPSA, IHMSA, & USCCA!

Boy that sign covers everything don't it ?

But do you think the crooks would really obey it ??

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Boy that sign covers everything don't it ?

But do you think the crooks would really obey it ??
    I hope that is all they have here in TX - 'cause that won't fly down here...
    I will check next time I drive by there...
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

JD
    Administrator
    Crooks obey things in writting? HOW ABOUT THE 10 COMMANDMENTS. I'd rather that be hanging on my door than anything else.

I can understand store owners being leary of firearms, especially jewelry stores. But they must comprehend that not all carriers of firearms have the intent to rob them.

Our money is just as good as anyones, and if we were so inclined to spend our hard earned money in thier store instead of on a new gun I bet they'd love the business considering we all ready spend thousands on new things that are shiny.

Speaking of shiny, Bud have you figured out your next 1911?

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Looks like it was written by a Philadelphia Lawyer!

Ah, cmon Bud. We all know that criminals are decent, well educated but slightly misguided victims of our socio economic society model. A sign like this would cause them to pause, read, and then reconsider their felonious intentions. They would probably remove their weapons and hand them to the guard by the front door and apologize to the store manager for their intended acts and go away completely changed.

Or am I wrong?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

JD
    Administrator
    Wow, that was about the best mindless liberal impersination I've ever read...

Assistant Administrator
    Well - what can you say to this!

As ever it seems the company does not apply logic. Why not reword a prohibition notice to refer to no firearms other than folks with legally issued permits. They might be reminded that the carry permit is not issued like candy - it is issued based on an individual's clean sheet.

We all know how much notice crooks take of laws and prohibitions - and in fact even without a BG sneaking in armed - just as likely they would storm the place - armed!!

I wonder too if any employees are armed because if not the place is ripe for being done over.

A further caveat - any crooks seeing such a notice as they have per the pic, will almost for sure feel safe in raiding the place - and second, if the notice specified the option for legal carry, then any BG just might be concerned at how many persons might be within, and armed!

I guess the excuse will be the usual ''insurance'' type deal - and, it seems like no reply to your email will be forthcoming either after so long They probably think the loss of one customer is small potatoes - but any business if they realized they could lose a large chunk of change from many people - just might think again.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I wonder what would happen if a business was to put up a nice tastfully done sign to the effect of:

"The management wishes to honor all those who show the foresight and responsibility to look after their own protection. All those who LEGALLY carry a permitted weapon in this establishment will be given a 5% discount on purchases. Criminals beware!"
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    ELCruisr - now that WOULD be something!!

Hey we can dream huh!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good editor needed

The posted sign says:

"No person shall carry, possess, have under the personís control, convey or attempt to convey a firearm, concealed firearm, dangerous ordnance, handgun, or deadly weapon on or onto this land, parking lot or premises."

Why not say:

"No guns allowed"

The original sign must have been written by a lawyer charging by the hour, or by the word.

Well, my first thought is, "Fine."

Those of us who have taken the time to go through the required training, at our own expense mind you, to be able to protect the lives of our loved ones and ourselves will simply not shop there.

Apparently they believe that it is quite simple to get a carry permit. They have little or no concept of the training involved. The fact that we have brought ourselves to the attention of Law Enforcement by way of going through the process of getting the permit. We have been fingerprinted, had background checks run on us by Law Enforcement. We are not the people they should be concerned about. The people they should be concerned about are the ones who will not heed their silly little signs. Criminals carry with out permits. They carry stolen guns. They are criminals, they break the law for a living. A sign will make no difference to them.

So, I say again, fine, we simply will not patronize their business. Let them take their chances with the criminals and see how well their paid target fares with his S&W Model 10 with, I'm sure, round nosed lead rounds in it.

Personaly, if they take their security that "seriously" <--sarcasim* then I do not want to shop there anyway.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    To hell with Jared's and their "policy". !@#@#$% 'em.

And never, ever go there again. Period.

There's one in my neck of the woods which will never know the grace of my presence. Or the profit of which my wallet could have wrought.

(not really "pithy", but I tried on the "clean" part, and may even have succeeded on the "concise" part)

VIP Member
    This store's retained lawyer probably told them that without that signage, they couldn't prosecute a robber for trespassing! SHEESH!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thanks for the heads up on Jared's. This will save a visit to their stores.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links