Local gun shop wont let you carry loaded???

This is a discussion on Local gun shop wont let you carry loaded??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to a very well known gun store in Lexington KY and was taken back as I got ready to walk into the store ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Local gun shop wont let you carry loaded???

Local gun shop wont let you carry loaded???

I went to a very well known gun store in Lexington KY and was taken back as I got ready to walk into the store and noticed a sign saying that they do not allow loaded weapons in the store. Yea I know that they have lots of valuable stuff in there like many other stores but I thought they would be all for the right to carry. I'll say i wont suggest to any of my BUDS to go to this store. What do you all think?

2. Remove Ads

I'd take my business elsewhere.
    sonnycrocket likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Yes, that is ridiculous. Go to another shop.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Thanks for the info Morgan87. I will honor their request and not visit any of their locations whether it be brick and morter, or on-line.

My local dealer requires it stays holstered. They will clear your weapon for you for holster fittings and such. They teach CCW classes there. How ignorant would it be to prohibit? Sheesh!!

db
    tony1990 likes this.
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

A couple of the local gun shops here have the same posting. when i asked I was told that it referrers to someone walking in with a loaded gun in their hand that they are looking for trade or sell or have work done on. They said it does not pertain to someone who is legally carrying unless that person wants to take the gun out of the holster.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

It's the same here. The local gun store here says no loaded weapons but I have seen several people concealed carrying while i have been in there. I'm pretty sure it only pertains to people who are carrying rifles and handguns in to be traded, sold, or repaired.

OP,

if you are talking about Buds' that sign is there, along with other gun shops, for insurance reasons....

in case some dumb-ass comes in and lites one off and hits somebody the business can say "we don't allow that"....no fault of ours.........

edit: and ill also say that Buds is the only gun shop in Lexington that does not have jerks working behind the counter like Antique and Modern, Evans and Gunsite......if those three shops were selling oxygen i guess i would just suffocate :*
    NONAME762 likes this.

Well if it does pertain to the people bringing in weapons for trade or sell then they need to clarify that. Until then I will not be visiting their store anymore. A NO LOADED GUNS sign to me means no loaded guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan87 View Post
    Well if it does pertain to the people bringing in weapons for trade or sell then they need to clarify that. Until then I will not be visiting their store anymore. A NO LOADED GUNS sign to me means no loaded guns.
    Buds Gun Shop has some of the nicest people of ANY gun shop in the state........along with the best prices/selection anywhere.......just about every person in the shop carries concealed......like i said, the sign is there for insurance/legal reasons.....if that bothers you go on over to Evans or Gunsite where the clowns behind the counter are doing you a favor just by letting you walk in the door
    glockman10mm and NIS350ZTT like this.

All of the stores around here I have visited (e.g., Shoot Straight, Shooting Sports, Patriot Arms) have that posted on the front door. I would imagine if you carry concealed and keep it that way no one would know. When I go to Shoot Straight to the range, I carry concealed and unloaded so they can check it prior to going on the range, but even then they can get jumpy if you do not have it on the counter with the slide locked back when they come to look it over (as opposed to drawing it in front of them). No need not hang around long in there to see some scary s*** though, so although I do not like it, I understand it. Gun shows here have the same rule with the addition of requiring the cable tie through the chamber if you carry it in at all.

It was not long ago (a few years?) that a guy went into Shooting Sports and started shooting the place up - store owner ultimately put him down, so I guess it happens (of course a sign will not stop this person). Seems silly in places that have ranges...I suppose it is not to deter someone who really wants to commit mayhem, but to curtail ADs or NDs.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

Same sign that my LGS has. Does not apply to permit holders, (I asked).
    My LGS had me unload my weapon at the firing range Sat for my CHL renewal class.
    When done, loaded back up, concealed weapon and back to classroom to finish.
    Similar signs at Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop, yet they both ALLOW concealed carry.
    Signs are for dumb arses that want repairs or going to gun range.

Tim

Oh for crying out loud, come on people! Have we lost all sense of reason. So now we are going to get mad and pout because a business establishment is posting a sign to meet insurance criteria? And we are going to punish those establishments that sell the guns you buy at good prices and services? You cannot comply for the short time you are in the store because you might need to defend your life from the boogeyman!?

I think we are starting to get a little ridiculous here.
    Are they supposed to be able to intuitively know who is competant and who is an idiot when someone comes in the door?
    I think some people need to get a grip.
    oneshot, repguy13, SIXTO and 9 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    A couple of the local gun shops here have the same posting. when i asked I was told that it referrers to someone walking in with a loaded gun in their hand that they are looking for trade or sell or have work done on. They said it does not pertain to someone who is legally carrying unless that person wants to take the gun out of the holster.
    This has been my experience as well.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    You're quick, Glockman! Beat me to it! The gun store where I work is not posted but sometimes I wish it was. I don't know how many times I have been swept with a loaded gun. Customer walks in. I ask if I can help him. He replies, "yeah, I need to see if you have a holster for this" as he pulls it out from under his shirt and points it at my stomach. Everyone who carries a gun is not a mature, responsible, safe adult. I guess some stores feel they have to react to the lowest common denominator. If a customer is bringing a gun in for repair, to sell, or to trade we request that they be unloaded outside. If they are not we take possession when they enter and check the gun for safe. No one in our store has any problem with OC or CC as long as the gun stays in the holster. I don't want any loaded gun out of the holster unless it's mine.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links