First time flying with CCW pistol

This is a discussion on First time flying with CCW pistol within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After a long battle with cancer, my brother-in-law finally succumbed. We know he is much more comfortable now, but the loss is still very hard ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

After a long battle with cancer, my brother-in-law finally succumbed. We know he is much more comfortable now, but the loss is still very hard on my wife.

Anyway.....We live and work in northern AZ, and the funeral was in Shreveport, LA. My wife grew up there, and said she would feel a lot more comfortable if I had the pistol with us. Hearing some of the stories she has told me, I decided I would be more comfortable also.

We got on the plane in Flagstaff on US Air. I had the pistol in a locked, hard sided case, which was cabled to the suitcase frame. A box of .45 Speer Gold Dots was packed separately in the same suitcase. When I declared the unloaded pistol, I was given a declaration to sign, and the lady placed it inside the suitcase on top of the pistol case. That was it...no inspection or anything. I guess the xray machine would tell them if it was loaded or not.

On the return trip, we started off on American Airlines. Same setup..hard case and cabled to the suitcase frame. Signed another declaration, and this time the lady asked to put it inside the pistol case instead of on top of it. Again, though, no inspection to verify it was unloaded.

In both instances, I had my own combo lock on the pistol case, a keyed cable lock (I used the one that came with my wife's Kimber that threads through the barrel). I kept the key for the cable lock, and we used a TSA lock on the main suitcase.

Other than the stress of worrying about lost luggage, it was very painless. I will definitely be doing it again if traveling to a state that honors an AZ permit.
    If you can't get out of it, you gotta get into it.

My job requires me to be armed as much of the time as possible. No, I am not an operator or LEO of any kind. I am a husband and father.

Exactly how it should be. Seems you got 2 TSA agents who were educated AND had some common sense. Congrats.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Sorry for your loss. Good to hear you had an uneventful journey with your firearm.

Sorry for your loss. I'm a cancer survivor so I understand the issues.

Glad that you had a safe journey.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Sorry for your loss... BTDT.

I think I've posted this before... but ...

One of the BEST videos I have ever seen regarding the secrets of air travel with a weapon was by "deviant ollam."

The fact sheet is here:Deviant ollams discussion on packing

You can click on the video link at the top of the page or you can go directly to the 52 minute long video here:
    video

It's worth every minute!

IMO, this is the only way to fly on commercial airlines.... and to make certain that your luggage does not get lost or mishandled.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Sorry to hear about your wife's brother. I lost my own brother to a brain tumor back in January. For awhile I couldn't even look at his picture without bursting into tears.

I had no idea you could fly with a pistol...I figured a gun, whether it was unloaded or even field stripped, in an airport was like threatening the President maybe even worse lol....I guess I need to do some reading on the laws of firearm transport via air.
    RUGER SR9 IN CROSSBREED SUPERTUCK DAILY

Sorry for your loss. I had to fly up for a funeral for my mother fiancee who also recently died suddenly from cancer. Didnt bring my gun cause My permit is still in the mail and I was only there for a day. Im going back up next month and should have my permot then b ut ill be driving or taking greyhound. Gotta checkn the regulation for greyhound...

Sorry about the death in the family. I hope everyone is adjusting well.

It sounds like you got real lucky. You got some TSA agents that actually knew what they were doing and weren't on a power trip. I have flown several times with a gun and I have only had 2 or 3 experiences that weren't complete disasters. I have found the TSA don't know there own regs and have no understanding of how to even verify what they are. I have printed their rules for flying with a gun off their own website and it still doesn't get through to them.

I do not feel well protected with he TSA doing the protecting at America's airports.

Glad your experience was a good one. It would have made the entire trip that much more stressful had you had an experience like I have had.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have found that depending on the airline and TSA person you are dealing with, things can change a little. Sounds like good to go. Sorry about your loss

Thank you for all the well wishes. They are appreciated.

I think one thing that helped was that both airports were relatively small. The Flagstaff airport is very small by many of y'all's standards. Also, it is very rural. I told the ticket lady that I wanted to declare an unloaded firearm, and that this was my first time. She said "No problem...We do it all the time."

My job requires me to be armed as much of the time as possible. No, I am not an operator or LEO of any kind. I am a husband and father.

Sorry for your loss.

That was EXACTLY my experience flying American roundtrip from CHGO to FORT MYERS in February.

al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

Per the TSA, the "signed declaration" should go inside the suitcase but outside the gun case (as US Air did on your outbound flight).

This is so if and when TSA would inspect your luggage, they would open up your suitcase and could inspect your personal clothing.. and when they saw the "signed declaration", they would then know what was in the "locked hardsided case". If the declaration form is inside the gun case, then TSA has no idea what is inside (duh). I fly Delta for work and travel 50% of the time with my firearm... and Delta has you place it on the outside of the gun case for the reasons expalined above.

As well, I use a single magazine duty pouch to hold my removed magazine... so this meets the requirement for the ammo to be in a safe, sealed and protected compartment.

Good luck the next time you travel with your firearm.
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

I wondered about that when she said to put it inside the case. I thought maybe there was something in the tag that showed on xray. If I can still find one of them, I will bring it to work and xray it to see. I didn't want to argue with her about how to do her job.

Quote Originally Posted by radshooter View Post
    I wondered about that when she said to put it inside the case. I thought maybe there was something in the tag that showed on xray. If I can still find one of them, I will bring it to work and xray it to see. I didn't want to argue with her about how to do her job.
    I thought the same thing. My wife is the imaging manager at the hospital we work at so when I flew to Texas last June I kept the tags for her to xray. Nothing there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links