I Can't buy a gun at gun store but I can get a CCP in Virginia...Dont Understand

I Can't buy a gun at gun store but I can get a CCP in Virginia...Dont Understand

This is a discussion on I Can't buy a gun at gun store but I can get a CCP in Virginia...Dont Understand within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 10 years ago I got an Assault and Battery charge and I found out that I CAN NOT go into a gun store and purchase ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: I Can't buy a gun at gun store but I can get a CCP in Virginia...Dont Understand

10 years ago I got an Assault and Battery charge and I found out that I CAN NOT go into a gun store and purchase a handgun but I applied for a Concealed Handgun Permit and I got it. For some reason the requirements/ disqualifiers are less restrictive for a CCP than the the requirements or disqualifiers for buying a gun. To get a CCP the misdemeanor conviction has to be at least 3 years old. I dont understand why the difference. The laws here are very odd. Can anyone explain or have experienced this before. Virginia, (Thank God) is a "Shall Issue" state

Administrator
    One is regulated by state law, and the other is regulated by federal law.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

the real question is can you legally be in possestion of a gun? you need to find that out asap

Quote Originally Posted by jadensdad View Post
    10 years ago I got an Assault and Battery charge and I found out that I CAN NOT go into a gun store and purchase a handgun but I applied for a Concealed Handgun Permit and I got it. For some reason the requirements/ disqualifiers are less restrictive for a CCP than the the requirements or disqualifiers for buying a gun. To get a CCP the misdemeanor conviction has to be at least 3 years old. I dont understand why the difference. The laws here are very odd. Can anyone explain or have experienced this before. Virginia, (Thank God) is a "Shall Issue" state
    Maybe you should look into getting the conviction expunged from your records. I don't recall any misdemeanor Assault and Battery charges that can affect gun ownership except Domestic Violence charges.

Find a gun friendly lawyer to discuss your options and look into an expungement.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Yes...I can legally possess a firearm here in Virginia, Here in Virginia you cannot purchase a firearm for ANY assault and battery.

Thanks, Sixto

If you want to hire a lawyer, I would highly recommend Mark Matthews of the Matthews law group. His office is located on S Laburnum Ave. He is the lawyer who represented my wife in our fight to obtain her CHP in Amelia county.(see the $1000 concealed carry permit) If you are interested, PM me and I'll give you his phone number. As for the poster who suggested having your record expunged, Va. only allows the expungement of charges which were "Nolle Prossed" not convictions.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by jadensdad View Post
    Yes...I can legally possess a firearm here in Virginia, Here in Virginia you cannot purchase a firearm for ANY assault and battery.
    Sounds like an oximoron. How do one possess without purchase? Gift from a friend?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

FTF on your purchase of firearms, where a the 4473 is not required yet.
    "Trouble Never Makes An Appointment"

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Why can't you receive a firearm? I seriously doubt that Virginia will issue you a carry permit but prohibit you from buying a firearm.

Unless your A&B was a felony or was against a family member or domestic partner, it doesn't disqualify you by federal law.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Why can't you receive a firearm? I seriously doubt that Virginia will issue you a carry permit but prohibit you from buying a firearm.

Unless your A&B was a felony or was against a family member or domestic partner, it doesn't disqualify you by federal law.
    +1 to this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Sounds like an oximoron. How do one possess without purchase? Gift from a friend?
    I guess its kinda like being under 21. If your under 21 you cant buy a pistol in a store but you can buy a pistol from a private party (friend/family member).

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Interested to know more info, certainly doesn't sound right unless as stated it is a DV or Felony, which should eliminate the CHP too.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    You DON'T have to have a Felony or Domestic Violence conviction to be PROHIBITED from possessing a firearm under Federal Law.

ATF Online - Firearms - How To - Identify Prohibited Persons

The Gun Control Act (GCA) makes it unlawful for certain categories of persons to ship, transport, receive, or possess firearms. 18 USC 922(g). Transfers of firearms to any such prohibited persons are also unlawful. 18 USC 922(d).
    These categories include any person:

• Under indictment or information in any court for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
    • convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
    • who is a fugitive from justice;
    • who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;
    • who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution;
    • who is an illegal alien;
    • who has been discharged from the military under dishonorable conditions;
    • who has renounced his or her United States citizenship;
    • who is subject to a court order restraining the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of the intimate partner; or
    • who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (enacted by the Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act of 1997, Pub. L. No. 104-208, effective September 30, 1996). 18 USC 922(g) and (n).

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    A&B conviction shouldn't disqualify you, unless it was a domestic violence related A&B.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links