Extra Key......

This is a discussion on Extra Key...... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, So I haven't been here long so excuse me if this is a dumb question. It was bothering me so I figured I ...

Thread: Extra Key......

Extra Key......

Hey guys,

So I haven't been here long so excuse me if this is a dumb question. It was bothering me so I figured I would ask it. I know some states require that when you are in a moving vehicle that your firearm be locked up in the trunk or someplace where the ammo is separate from the firearm or it is not with in reasonable distanvce to get to. (Let's suppose you do not have a CWP to the state traveling through....I am moving 2500 miles east in a few months) Now I know that some states allow you to keep the handgun in a locked glovebox. My question is if you get pulled over for say speeding or something, and end up getting searched (probably against your rights unless doing something stupid) and you have an extra key to said glovebox, will you get in trouble since technically you don't have to get out of your car or turn it off to get to it(firearm)? Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. I don't see anything in the laws saying you can't have an extra key for quick access.

-Savage-
    Last edited by Savage206; April 11th, 2011 at 03:17 AM. Reason: clarification
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

2. Remove Ads

i just realized I guess this would be an OC question I guess..mods please move if you feel it needs to be. :)
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

Wouldn't they have to have a search warrant to search a "locked" area in the first place? Yeah, I know they could hold you until they get a warrant, but if the law simply states that it must be in a locked compartment, or locked glove box, I don't see an issue with having an extra key so that you don't have to shut off the vehicle.

There could be more to it, but I haven't read the statute for the state you're referring to.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I see the place Seattle and the words east 2500 miles. To me it means Wisconsin, Illinois, Maybe New York.
    I look at it in my own way. They or it is my fire arm and I want to retain possession of it and with as little delay as possible. To me It is not what I can get away with but, what can I do to show I am I am trying follow the letter of the law in there state.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

If the key is not in the lock I see no problem. I would not volunteer any info about a second key. If you were traveling and moving would you not have a second set of keys ?
    Semper Fi

Well if you keep your registration and proof of insurance in one of those visor things, or center console you would be okay. But many drivers keep that paperwork in the glove box, and getting to it would mean you have to access that locked glove box. Upon stopping you, many officers will ask if you have a firearm inside of your vehicle, don't lie is the best advice. So if you have a trunk that you can secure your firearm in, do it, or be very vigulant about your speed, lights etc so you don't get stopped if you are keeping your firearm in the glove box.
    "Trouble Never Makes An Appointment"

Links