Listerine Combat - In Your Face Gunfighting

This is a discussion on Listerine Combat - In Your Face Gunfighting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure this is the right place to post this, so move if needed. This is a report of what it is like when you ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By wjh2657

Thread: Listerine Combat - In Your Face Gunfighting

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

Not sure this is the right place to post this, so move if needed.

This is a report of what it is like when you look death in the eye.

By Frosty26

The other day during one of my very tedious physical therapy sessions, I took my mind somewhere else since the session was not particularly pleasant and started pondering 'What gaps do I have in my current skill Set's?"

The one that came to mind the quickest is what we called in the details "Listerine Combat" or Bad breath distance shooting. The reason I say that is it is a skill that most folks like to shy away from..the reasoning..it is unpleasant and brutal. I learned while in the Marines, that the guys who survive the longest are typically the ones that are willing to put the time in on the stuff that sux..the drills that absolutely suck to do, the drills that are painful and cost you something after you are done, sometimes a bucket of sweat, sometimes a little blood.

When we capture a mind's eye picture of combat with a pistol, most folks picture a nice "reactionary gap" between them and the BG..because we are always in "Condition Yellow" and no BG is going to catch us unaware..right??

http://www.warriortalknews.com/2011/...nfighting.html
    Last edited by Bill MO; April 11th, 2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Edited to meet posting rules better
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Kind of like the "Tunnels" in Vietnam? Where death was a "breath" away?
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

As I have gotten older (and wiser, I hope!) I have changed my whole mindset on Self Defense. First off, I have gotten out of the open combat mode so beloved by most of the shooting schools and competition scenarios. I do this reluctantly as I am a retired Marine (30 Years AD), a combat vet (3 tours of Nam) and a Gunsite graduate. But I have come to realize that self defense for me is going to be an up close confrontation, most likely with one assailant. As I am retired in a rural area I can pick my daily environments and I avoid the inner city like a plague.

Home defense is down to a house designed with security in mind , an ADT alarm, 2 dogs and a 12 gauge pump with buckshot.

Following my philosophy of street defense , I will walk away or run (if possible) from anything that is coming at me in a threatening way. I am not at war trying to make the world safe for Democracy. Wyatt Earp cleaning the streets of Dodge or Sir Galahad trying to protect the honor of all women. Down and dirty, I am trying to give the wife and me a chance to survive.

I pocket carry a 642 in a Pocket Grabber or GALCO Pro 158 leather pocket holster and 1 spare Bianchi Speed Strip. I practice daily with a S&W 317 in .22Lr and weekly with my 642. All shooting is at 25 feet and under and is fast. Everything is to be kept in a 6" circle and I practice until it is. It is one handed point shooting out to 21 feet and then I aim with a "sight picture" and I practice "from the side" at 7 feet or basically "belly shooting."

No, I won't be effective in taking out those four MS13 guys with AK47s and rescuing their hostages. But as a real combat vet, I don't really believe that anybody with their tricked out 1911 is going to do it either. A Marine rifle squad would be in dire straits in the stated situation. Been there, done that and I have a pretty good idea that this type of scenario is not a survivable one with a handgun. The IPSC targets are not shooting real bullets back at you. I am not knocking IPSC, I have participated myself. It is a lot of fun, but I really do question the reality of its application to self defense for the average citizen.

My own feeling, at this point in my life, is that if I need to train for the MS13 scenario, they can have the neighborhood, I' m moving into the country (which I have.)
    SIXTO, Bill MO and TVJ like this.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    wjh2657: good post. I also am getting old, my days of rescuing the world are over so only look to protect me and mine mainly. Only way I would get involved to help someone else is if it could involve me too.

Following my philosophy of street defense , I will walk away or run (if possible) from anything that is coming at me in a threatening way. I am not at war trying to make the world safe for Democracy. Wyatt Earp cleaning the streets of Dodge or Sir Galahad trying to protect the honor of all women. Down and dirty, I am trying to give the wife and me a chance to survive.

I pocket carry a 642 in a Pocket Grabber or GALCO Pro 158 leather pocket holster and 1 spare Bianchi Speed Strip. I practice daily with a S&W 317 in .22Lr and weekly with my 642. All shooting is at 25 feet and under and is fast. Everything is to be kept in a 6" circle and I practice until it is. It is one handed point shooting out to 21 feet and then I aim with a "sight picture" and I practice "from the side" at 7 feet or basically "belly shooting."
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ******************

I too will walk away from anything I can (run not to far) But because I see that I could come up against more than one BG at any one time I chose to carry 2 hi-cap 9mm pistol I think the fastest reload is a second gun. There have been times I even carry extra mags also. Most of my practice time is point shooting and in the 0 to 10 yd range.

We each know our needs and go accordingly. Do I need all I carry, most likiely not, but feel it better to have it and not need it than to wish I had it and it not be there.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Sponsored Links