Neighbor's Dangerous Dog - Page 3

Neighbor's Dangerous Dog

This is a discussion on Neighbor's Dangerous Dog within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have three drop kick size dogs: One dumber then a rock, the other two smart and protective. We foster dogs saved from shelters and ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 54
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Neighbor's Dangerous Dog

  1. #31
    tec
    tec is offline
    Member Array tec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    77
    We have three drop kick size dogs: One dumber then a rock, the other two smart and protective. We foster dogs saved from shelters and looking for a good home, so we can have many many diferent dogs in our house. We also have a 7 year old along with her friends who visit.

    Human life comes first. I have no problem drop kicking a dog if it suddenly starts acting bad with the kids around, but we also generally can tell when a dog is not going to be nice around kids. If and when we do get those non-kid friendly dogs, those things are removed from our house as soon as I can convince the wife, and until then the dogs are not allowed in any area other then kennel, safe and away from the kids.

    We once had a male dog in the house that hated me, and I hated him, scared the crap outta me. If I got close it would growl at me. It loved my wife and daughter. The wife and daughter REALLY love animals and forced me into continuing to foster the dog, until one night the mean dog was, unknowingly to me, sleeping under my bed. I got up to goto the bathroom in the middle of the night and that frickin dog would not LET me out of bed. He was so mean about it that he scared my three dogs, who were sleeping with me, out of the room. When my wife came to get the dog, he was loving on her like she loved.

    I told her, if that dog bites me or the daughter, I will kill the dog. She didn't want to get rid of that dog, until it growled at me and our daughter, then it fortunetly got somebody to adopt it.

    Humans mean more then dogs.


  2. #32
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,098

    Update

    Update: Have consulted a lawyer...recommended the dog be kept alive for now (possible behavioral testing)

    Also found out that VA has some less than desireable dog bite laws...but don't get me wrong, if MY dog were to bite someone, a visitor--I expect to be held liable. HOWEVER, if someone comes into my house uninvited at night, forced entry, I'd expect the BG's family to pay for the cleanup bill after my dog either tears him up, or more likely, distracts BG by licking him to death (did I mention we have a Lab?)

  3. #33
    Member Array jwkimber45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    93
    Prayers for your son first and foremost.


    I'm not sure how it works in Virginia, but here the next time that dog set one foot on my property it would get a 52grain supprise from my 22-250. Don't take that as advice, as I'm sure you won't from reading through this thread.

    I've been down a similar road a few years ago.....the dog didn't make through the day if you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs. I've got one myself. Just like people, theres good ones and bad ones.
    OPE Prostaff
    www.outdoorproductexchange.com

    Sitting Ducks Ltd. Prostaff
    http://www.sittingducks-ltd.com/

  4. #34
    Member Array enidpd804's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229
    ...but in regards to shooting with city limits....what about all of these defensive shootings? Is the person who defended himself charged with discharge of a gun within city limits? This is exactly what this is...a defensive shooting.
    The Oklahoma Municipal Code (the official guide by which most municipalities write their ordinances) offers a self-defense shooting as an affirmative defense against prosecution. I don't know about other states.

  5. #35
    Member Array MidnightRambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    53
    Around Indy, every time I've ever heard of a dog biting a human, the dog has always been killed. Dogs that attack humans aren't allowed to live around here.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    759
    Sig

    What has the neighbor had to say about the whole thing???

    Obviously your not real good friends I take it you don't BBQ together or trade sugar. (by sugar I mean the sweet white stuff some people put in coffee not any other kinds of sugar, this is a family forum).

    If I wanted to kill the dog I think I would go buy a crossbow it is much quieter than my Kimber.
    Timmy Jimmy

    If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

    "Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

  7. #37
    Member Array Huzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRambler
    Around Indy, every time I've ever heard of a dog biting a human, the dog has always been killed. Dogs that attack humans aren't allowed to live around here.
    I really dislike the law that is so one sided. I will stray a bit from the original topic since we ventured onto the topic of dog vs human interactions.

    IMHO if a dog attacks for no reason then yeah, dog should be dealt with. If a dog is being attacked or harassed and he defends himself with a quick bite, or if in a friendly wrestling match the dog nicks the other person (the size of the nick is directly related to the size of the dog) the dog should not be held accountable! I remember reading a thread (not sure if it was here or another gun forum) where someone was harrasing the dog somehow (don't remember the details but it was stated that the owner was doing something that he knew that the dog did not like) and the dog snapped and bit once and then withdrew. Should that dog be destroyed? I don't think so. So before someone passes a quick judgement that all dogs that bite a human should be destroyed I think some sort of a hearing should be in order (just not in front of peers )

  8. #38
    Member Array jwkimber45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzar
    I really dislike the law that is so one sided. I will stray a bit from the original topic since we ventured onto the topic of dog vs human interactions.

    IMHO if a dog attacks for no reason then yeah, dog should be dealt with. If a dog is being attacked or harassed and he defends himself with a quick bite, or if in a friendly wrestling match the dog nicks the other person (the size of the nick is directly related to the size of the dog) the dog should not be held accountable! I remember reading a thread (not sure if it was here or another gun forum) where someone was harrasing the dog somehow (don't remember the details but it was stated that the owner was doing something that he knew that the dog did not like) and the dog snapped and bit once and then withdrew. Should that dog be destroyed? I don't think so. So before someone passes a quick judgement that all dogs that bite a human should be destroyed I think some sort of a hearing should be in order (just not in front of peers )

    Yeah, there are two sides to this coin. Several years ago I had a neighbor who lived on about 2.5 arces, had a little 3 year old boy and a beautiful german shephard dog (Very friendly BTW). The little one was outside playing in the yard while the folks were doing yard work. The boy was about 50 yards away from his parents.

    An unsavory looking character stopped his car on the road in front of the house and approached the little guy. Mom and Dad noticed what was going on and started that direction while asking the guy what he was doing. The dog (who was playing with the boy) took position between the kid and the approaching man. When the dude didn't stop the dog put his mouth on the guys forearm. I say it that way because the dog didn't even break the skin. The dude freaked out....sued the family and they were forced to put the dog down

    All of this happend (short of the lawsuit part of it) quicker than it took me to type it. IMO the family dog was doing his job!!!!!
    OPE Prostaff
    www.outdoorproductexchange.com

    Sitting Ducks Ltd. Prostaff
    http://www.sittingducks-ltd.com/

  9. #39
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzar
    I really dislike the law that is so one sided. I will stray a bit from the original topic since we ventured onto the topic of dog vs human interactions.

    IMHO if a dog attacks for no reason then yeah, dog should be dealt with. If a dog is being attacked or harassed and he defends himself with a quick bite, or if in a friendly wrestling match the dog nicks the other person (the size of the nick is directly related to the size of the dog) the dog should not be held accountable! I remember reading a thread (not sure if it was here or another gun forum) where someone was harrasing the dog somehow (don't remember the details but it was stated that the owner was doing something that he knew that the dog did not like) and the dog snapped and bit once and then withdrew. Should that dog be destroyed? I don't think so. So before someone passes a quick judgement that all dogs that bite a human should be destroyed I think some sort of a hearing should be in order (just not in front of peers )

    Agreed--however, in this situation, all of the kids were playing with the dog when the dog attacked/bit my son TWICE with successive bites and the then tried to drag him until the other kids and the owner pulled the dog off.

    I've owned dogs all of my life, to include running a a dog rescue--never a problem. Nips/snaps are normal. However, once a dog draws blood and tears flesh--all bets are off.

  10. #40
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,098
    Quote Originally Posted by jwkimber45
    An unsavory looking character stopped his car on the road in front of the house and approached the little guy. Mom and Dad noticed what was going on and started that direction while asking the guy what he was doing. The dog (who was playing with the boy) took position between the kid and the approaching man. When the dude didn't stop the dog put his mouth on the guys forearm. I say it that way because the dog didn't even break the skin. The dude freaked out....sued the family and they were forced to put the dog down

    All of this happend (short of the lawsuit part of it) quicker than it took me to type it. IMO the family dog was doing his job!!!!!
    I agree with this also!!...I'm all about dogs protecting family and in this case it probably would have been easier to put down the unsavory character and defend it (attempted kidnapping).

    BTW--did the dude explain why he was there? and the (idiot) jury bought it?

  11. #41
    Member Array Dumetre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    32
    <Post deleted. Shooting an animal in self defense is one thing. What you are advocating is something quite different.> -Scott-

  12. #42
    Member Array Huzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229
    Agreed--however, in this situation, all of the kids were playing with the dog when the dog attacked/bit my son TWICE with successive bites and the then tried to drag him until the other kids and the owner pulled the dog off.

    I've owned dogs all of my life, to include running a a dog rescue--never a problem. Nips/snaps are normal. However, once a dog draws blood and tears flesh--all bets are off.
    Your situation might be a bit different and I did preface my post with the phrase that I will stray a bit of the topic.

    Anyways, getting back to your situation, I do have couple questions:
    1. How/why did the kids go to play with the dog which was locked away?
    2. What are the owners of the dog saying?

  13. #43
    Member Array Huzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    472
    <Thank you for your response. I am deleting this post as it references a post above that was deleted as well.>

    -Scott-

  14. #44
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzar
    Your situation might be a bit different and I did preface my post with the phrase that I will stray a bit of the topic.

    Anyways, getting back to your situation, I do have couple questions:
    1. How/why did the kids go to play with the dog which was locked away?
    2. What are the owners of the dog saying?
    I understand the confusion....my son and nephew went next door to bring some apples to them for their horses (we have a crabapple tree). Their children and one friend must have been out playing with the dog and our 2 joined in. My wife said the boys were gone for 20 minutes---it's a good walk to their property---when the call came in that he was hurt. My guess is that all the kids were horsing around ---we're talking about 5 boys---out of all of them our son is the most timid and smallest.

    The owners, we have been friendly with. Living out here, there are not too many folks around, and everyone kind of watches out for eachother. They contend that the dog had an injury to his back paw from the day before, so my question is why they would let children play with an injured dog. There are so many questions regarding the circumstances to the bite, and we're getting conflicting stories from again....5 adolescent boys. Our son doesn't remember anything, he went into shock.

  15. #45
    Member Array Huzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229
    I understand the confusion....my son and nephew went next door to bring some apples to them for their horses (we have a crabapple tree). Their children and one friend must have been out playing with the dog and our 2 joined in. My wife said the boys were gone for 20 minutes---it's a good walk to their property---when the call came in that he was hurt. My guess is that all the kids were horsing around ---we're talking about 5 boys---out of all of them our son is the most timid and smallest.

    The owners, we have been friendly with. Living out here, there are not too many folks around, and everyone kind of watches out for eachother. They contend that the dog had an injury to his back paw from the day before, so my question is why they would let children play with an injured dog. There are so many questions regarding the circumstances to the bite, and we're getting conflicting stories from again....5 adolescent boys.
    Thanks, that makes a bit more sense now.

    Our son doesn't remember anything, he went into shock.
    Yeah, I kind of remember that. I think it was good couple days till I pieced together what happened when the dog bit me. The first thought I had that kind of drowned out everything else was: no f-in way that that just happened!

    Anyways, how's your kid doing now? One thing to keep in mind (if you haven't already) is to make sure that he doesn't become afraid of dogs because of that experience. He should be wary of them but not scared.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Dangerous
    By ErnieNWillis in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: May 14th, 2009, 12:03 PM
  2. Could be dangerous
    By Swamp Dog in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 29th, 2008, 11:07 AM
  3. Most dangerous job
    By Glock30SF in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: May 28th, 2008, 05:14 PM
  4. Most Dangerous Cities
    By farronwolf in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: November 1st, 2006, 12:39 AM

Search tags for this page

how to deal with neighbors vicious dog
,
how to get rid of a dangerous dog
,
how to get rid of a nabors dog
,

how to get rid of a vicious dog

,
how to get rid of dangerous dog
,
how to get rid of neighbors dangerous dog
,
how to get rid of neighbors vicious dog
,

how to get rid of vicious dogs

,
my neighbor has a dangerous dog
,

neighbor dangerous dog

,
neighbor's dangerous dog
,
should i shoot my vicious dog
Click on a term to search for related topics.