NC Gun Buster Signs

NC Gun Buster Signs

This is a discussion on NC Gun Buster Signs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the local mall today where I know the entrances have gun buster signs posted on all the doors. When I went today ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Macantic
  • 1 Post By JBinMont
  • 4 Post By chiefjason

Thread: NC Gun Buster Signs

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

NC Gun Buster Signs

I went to the local mall today where I know the entrances have gun buster signs posted on all the doors. When I went today I went into the JCPenny entrance where I noticed that there was no such sign. I went to the other department stores in the mall and none of them have signs either. When I walked into the stores to the entrance to the mall, there was nothing saying no guns allowed. My question is would it be legal for me to carry into the department stores that are not posted? I'm guessing crossing into the mall area would be a little iffy, as I think that every entrance has to be posted for it to be a true no gun area. I intend to call the local Sheriff's Office to get their take on it. I was just posting to see what you guys think.

VIP Member
    The Mall in New Bern does not have the gun buster signs, it is found on one of the signs that post mall regs, right under the no skate boards and heelies.
    Legality, I'm guessing it is legal and covers the whole building since the stores rent from the mall owner.

You can carry in any store that is not conspicuously posted. That's the way the law is worded. If the mall itself is posted and you have seen a conspicious sign then you may not carry there.

I can just about guarantee that if you call the sheriff they will tell you the entire mall is off limits. LEOs are about the last place to get a reliable response on many gun laws.

If you read statute GS_14-415.11 you will see it says

"where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises."

My nearest mall is posted in the form about the other stuff like skate boarding. However, it does not have a gun buster sign at all. The JC Penny is not posted at all.

What signs? I don't see any signs.
    JBinMont likes this.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

If there is no signage from where you enter the mall thru JC Penny, then your covered because you did not see a sign posted from where you entered the mall. Keep your conceal carry gun CONCEALED and no one is going to know your carrying.
    BugDude likes this.
    "Trouble Never Makes An Appointment"

What was said above it correct, If you enter thru a store entrance with no gun busters your "technically" good throughout the mall. Unless of course at the mall entrance (from the store) they've got a sign on a pedestal or something. Thats the case almost anywhere. But I've read some posts for screwy states where it's your problem to "just know" the rules which is BS, But in NC I doubt you've have a prob. NC does have some weird gun laws when it comes to no OC allowed in certain counties and such though.

I had this question come up at my concealed carry class. The DoJ instructor said if you enter the mall through an anchor store without the signs, you have that technicality in your favor. I wouldn't want to be the test case, and IANAL, so do your own due diligence.

remember though in north carolina we're not supposed to carry in places of more than 100 people. I've asked several different LEO's from several different agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by mta5888 View Post
    remember though in north carolina we're not supposed to carry in places of more than 100 people. I've asked several different LEO's from several different agencies.
    That claim begs for a citation. Bet you cannot find that law. That's because that's not how the law reads in NC. Stop asking LEOs for advice. LEOs aren't lawyers.

We can't carry in places that charge admission, nor at funerals. Nor in places that serve alcohol by the drink. There are several other stipulations. Number of people in the vicinity is NOT one of them.

Well, think about this logically.

First of all, according to handgunlaw.us, NC signage carries the weight of law. This usually means that if you pass a sign, YOU ARE GUILTY of trespass and can be cited on the spot if caught. They do NOT need to ask you to leave before you are cited.

If you entered the mall thru JC Penney, and were caught, you might make the argument that JC Penney is not posted AND even if the mall itself was NOT posted, you had better leave if asked by a person in charge.

Chris

Boy glad Im in South Carolina and not North.

I'm from NC, but been gone for 15 years. Virginia is much better about gun laws, and getting better all the time. I still have family there and visit often, so I have to stay on top of NC carry laws. From my understanding, if you enter through an anchor store (i.e. Dick's sporting goods) which isn't posted and the mall isn't posted from where you enter from Dicks, then you have a pretty defensible position. If they ask you to leave, then leave. Keep your stuff well concealed and it shouldn't be an issue.

In VA, I always enter the nearest mall from either the Dick's sporting goods or one of the other Anchor stores. I've never used the main entrance. I was told by a buddy that the main entrance of the mall was posted, but none of the entrances from the anchor stores are. I carry concealed at the mall and I've never seen a no guns sign...and I may be avoiding the main entrance on purpose. In any event, I'm keeping my stuff concealed and minding my own business. I hate malls and crowds anyway, so I only go if forced to by the wife. The last couple times we went, I dropped her off at the entrance to whatever store and I stayed in the van with the 2 year old. That worked out much better for everyone. He watches the TV, I listen to the classic vinyl satellite radio station, and the wife gets to shop in peace. Win-win-win.

We can now carry concealed in a place that serves alcohol in VA, but not in NC. Whenever we're visiting family in NC and they want to go out to eat, I always insist on going somewhere that doesn't serve alcohol. I was asked why and I said I quit drinking (which I did) and I didn't want to be tempted. That was very well received...much better than if I had said, "I don't want to have to leave my gun in the car." Funny they've never noticed when they visit us in VA and we go out to eat, I don't care where we go (alcohol or not). I wonder how long it will take them to notice.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    I intend to call the local Sheriff's Office to get their take on it. I was just posting to see what you guys think.
    I recommend not calling the Sheriff for legal advice....all you will get is opinion.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Lot's of anchor stores don't post. And I believe they are under different rules than the smaller stores. Particularly since they have their own entrance. Bass Pro Shops in Concord Mills allows carry and sells firearms even though the general mall does not allow it.

FWIW, I found this sign today in downtown Hickory. Sorry for the bad cell phone pic. The text says, "Lawful concealed carry permitted on these premises. Management recognizes the Second Ammendment to the U. S. Constitution as an inalienable right of all citizens. We therefore support and encourage the carrying of Concealed weapons."

SWEET!!!

BugDude, paullie, Buckj and 1 others like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links