letter to judge - Page 2

letter to judge

This is a discussion on letter to judge within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Huge compliments to DOJOMAN on this post. I've seen the same post on the GLOCKTALK forum as well... not sure if the posters are the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: letter to judge

Huge compliments to DOJOMAN on this post. I've seen the same post on the GLOCKTALK forum as well... not sure if the posters are the same person or DOJOMAN nicked it from elsewhere but regardless - awesome, level headed, reasoned advice.

I'd recommend following it. It didn't hurt my request for a full CC license.

I'm not afraid of writing but the prospect of what to say on this dang letter to the judge had me s-t-u-m-p-e-d.
    DOJOMAN's template got the wheels turning and had a couple suggestions I wouldn't have thought of.

Six days after submitting my letter (along with the completion certificate for the county's new unrestricted permit class --$200 later), I got my 'Hunting & Target' removed.
    Now, I'm not sure if the judge is getting swamped and doesn't meet with each person any more or if my letter was so brilliant that he thought, "oh this guy's obviously a good guy, I'll just let him have it" (ha-- not bloody likely!) but no meeting was requested. I even ended my letter with "...I respectfully request that my Pistol Permit be amended to remove the "Hunt & Target" restriction and would welcome the opportunity of a brief meeting at your convenience...." since I thought the face time was the final capper to the whole process.

My understanding is that he meets ALL unrestricted applicants for a little sit-down, asks how you store your guns & just gets a general feel for you. A LEO told me this and the county's web site says it is a definite step in the process as well.

Anyway, thank you DOJOMAN.

p.s. I'm a BJJ/judo guy myself. Who knows, maybe we've rolled around in our pj's trying to choke each other unconscious. Without eye contact, of course. lol

Quote Originally Posted by dojoman View Post
    I applied for my ccw in Onondaga county(which is by far the hardest outside of NYC) and this is the format I used. The best, non legal advice I can offer is be honest. Good Luck to you.

The Honorable Judge ------------------

Dear Judge ---------

My name is -------. I have resided in --------- County since--------.

I write in regards to my New York State Pistol License #-------- issued by Judge ---- ------ in ------- County.

1. Tell him who you are
    2. What is your experience/training
    3. Do you have prior experience carrying - (do you carry 'legally' in other states etc.)
    4. Do you understand the law (article 35 and such)
    5. Will you obey the law
    6. Do you understand the (tremendous) responsibility
    7. What are some of the reasons you want to carry - (List some activities)
    8. How do/will you protect your firearm from theft out of your vehicle - (There may be times you have to leave it in the vehicle, even if you think not, answer this question)
    9. How do you protect your firearm from theft out of your home.

I respectfully request that my Pistol Permit be amended to remove the (------- type) restriction and granted carry/conceal.

Thank you for considering this request.
    Sincerely,

(Hand Sign the Letter here)
    Your Name Typed

Oh, and in regard to the OP's OP (from 14 months ago. sorry.):

I have always heard that we should NEVER mention 'self defense' but that may be just for the original permit. Must've heard that 20x. (I do agree, though, that we should stow that 2nd Amendment stuff.)

The LEO I spoke with (extensively) told me that the judge knows why we/I'm applying for full carry so don't BS him.
    Maybe we all just play the *wink wink* game and the licensing officer plays along when issuing the HUNT & TARGET permit but now that we're asking to sit at the big boy table with the adults we can all talk straight with each other?
    If this'll help anyone, my verbiage was, "...I would like to have the option, as a means of protecting myself and/or my family, to carry a handgun concealed in accordance with all New York State laws..."
    I am not a courier, don't own a gas station and didn't even try to give a justification for wanting to protect myself.

He approved it.

Lawyer services

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    I'm a lawyer, been one for 23 years, licensed in three states. Never been to NY, hope to never go there. Didn't read the posts above. Here's my take: First, if you write a letter to a judge, you assume two things which may be wrong: The judge can actually read, and the judge will read your letter. Third, you assume that if the first two are correct, he'll understand your request. Your assumptions precede you, and any or all are likely wrong. Hate to be pessimistic, but silly men and women in long, black dresses have taught me much for many years now. Having said that, some of the finest people I know are judges, some of whom I consider to be good friends and the most honorable people I know, so you might get lucky. Best of luck to you.
    Because you are a lawyer would you be able to draft a letter of need in legal terms based on the ruling on MOSBY v. DEVINE?

Charles H. MOSBY, Jr., et al. v. William V. DEVINE, in his capacity as Chief of the Rhode Island Bureau of Criminal Identification, and Patrick C. Lynch, in his capacity as Rhode Island Attorney General.
    No. 2001-161-Appeal.
    -- June 10, 2004

I would pay you.

I feel that it is a violation of my 2nd amendment rights to have to show need when I have a C&R FFL and have passed the state qualification at the range. My need is to protect myself and my family with my firearm if God forbid the need were to arise if I/we could not avoid/evade the danger. I am the primary bread winner for my family and if I were to be killed when it could have been prevented by defending myself my family would be ruined. But I don't think this alone qualifies... your feed back is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JMackieSr View Post
    Because you are a lawyer would you be able to draft a letter of need in legal terms based on the ruling on MOSBY v. DEVINE?

Charles H. MOSBY, Jr., et al. v. William V. DEVINE, in his capacity as Chief of the Rhode Island Bureau of Criminal Identification, and Patrick C. Lynch, in his capacity as Rhode Island Attorney General.
    No. 2001-161-Appeal.
    -- June 10, 2004

I would pay you.

I feel that it is a violation of my 2nd amendment rights to have to show need when I have a C&R FFL and have passed the state qualification at the range. My need is to protect myself and my family with my firearm if God forbid the need were to arise if I/we could not avoid/evade the danger. I am the primary bread winner for my family and if I were to be killed when it could have been prevented by defending myself my family would be ruined. But I don't think this alone qualifies... your feed back is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jon
    1) This thread is over a year old.
    2) You'll have better luck finding a lawyer somewhere OTHER than an internet forum.
    3) The user whose services you are requesting hasn't been active on this forum in a year. He's likely not ever going to see this comment.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    The internet is not a place i would go to for a lawyer,or seek legal advice.Face to face is the best,unless you just can't for some reason.That said,people has to do what they think is best for theirself.

I dont understand. Are you a convicted felon who lost the right to bear arms? Or is this a NY, thing?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMackieSr View Post

No. 2001-161-Appeal.
    -- June 10, 2004

I would pay you.

Thanks,
    Jon
    You might want to try verbally speaking with an attorney in Rhode Island instead of posting a random message on an internet forum trying to get the attention of someone you have never met who claims to be a licensed lawyer in three states and claims to live in Texas.

If you want to catch a shark, don't climb a mountain and throw rocks into the trees.
    Taurahe and pittypat21 like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by dojoman View Post
    I applied for my ccw in Onondaga county(which is by far the hardest outside of NYC) and this is the format I used. The best, non legal advice I can offer is be honest. Good Luck to you.

The Honorable Judge ------------------

Dear Judge ---------

My name is -------. I have resided in --------- County since--------.

I write in regards to my New York State Pistol License #-------- issued by Judge ---- ------ in ------- County.

1. Tell him who you are
    2. What is your experience/training
    3. Do you have prior experience carrying - (do you carry 'legally' in other states etc.)
    4. Do you understand the law (article 35 and such)
    5. Will you obey the law
    6. Do you understand the (tremendous) responsibility
    7. What are some of the reasons you want to carry - (List some activities)
    8. How do/will you protect your firearm from theft out of your vehicle - (There may be times you have to leave it in the vehicle, even if you think not, answer this question)
    9. How do you protect your firearm from theft out of your home.

I respectfully request that my Pistol Permit be amended to remove the (------- type) restriction and granted carry/conceal.

Thank you for considering this request.
    Sincerely,

(Hand Sign the Letter here)
    Your Name Typed
    I disagree..... Chemung county does not issue concealed carry permits at all. Because the state allows the county of residence to control permit applications, chemung county said that no will be issued a CCW permit unless you are : LEO/Corrections/Public safety etc, granted permission by court order, business purposes, and prob some other stupid crap. It took me 13 months just to get my ONWERSHIP permit, which many were impresssed by as being fast.Needless to say once i got out of the army i chose to reside elsewhere.I have to say, its really nice being able to buy a gun whenever i want with no stupid permit to update, and not have to write a letter to explain why i should be able to defend myself.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I dont understand. Are you a convicted felon who lost the right to bear arms? Or is this a NY, thing?
    Its a NY thing.... it is a super PIA to get a CcW in NY.,..which is why I left and have never moved back
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links