At work carry - Page 2

At work carry

This is a discussion on At work carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by thehustleman What I should have said in addition to it was I'd go over and check it out, as in find out ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: At work carry

Quote Originally Posted by thehustleman View Post
    What I should have said in addition to it was I'd go over and check it out, as in find out what's going on, possibly get a good look at the suspect so that I can give a description, plus I would have called a LEO anyway.

But a "some guys broke in but I didn't see them, just heard them" wouldn't sound nearly as good as "the first guy was about 5'8" blond, long hair, big feet, muscular build, the second one was dark haired, at least 6'6", very slim build, short hair" IMHO

would I engage a perp?

H#LL NO! And for the very reasons that you stated "protection of MY life and those of MY family."
    If you want to go "check them out" and try to eye-ball the perp, DON'T TAKE A GUN. If you mean it when you say "H#LL NO!", then why consider taking a gun along?

You're acting like a junior LEO. It' not you're job to eyeball criminals, and you're asking for trouble. As others have noted, sometimes the local PD doesn't even bother to investigate burglaries in certain areas and jurisdictions. You are putting yourself at risk for someone else's stereo and big-screen TV. That's not smart.

I'd carry anyway as long as you're not breaking the law. It's not like you're risking your dream job

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
    I'd carry anyway as long as you're not breaking the law. It's not like you're risking your dream job
    This is exactly what I was thinking. There are absolutely no legal repercussions if you were to get caught. Is your job at K***** worth your personal safety? I guess that depends. Times are tough, right now. I know what I would do, though.

It comes back to what's important for you. I know a lot of American's live paycheck to paycheck. If you get fired what will it cost you. You also have to consider if you get fired the next place you apply for will ask you why you were let go from that job.

You could ask for a different time shift to work, maybe that way you would be coming from or to work at a better time.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Owning a firearm does not make you an ersatz LEO. Say you took your guns over and "checked it out". What if you were attacked and ended up shooting a prowler? Do you think a jury would hold you blameless when you sought out the confrontation in another's home?

What if you came in on a couple of his relatives stealthily setting your neighbor up for a surprise birthday party, and shot his 16 year old nephew when he jumped out and scared you?

You can't go playing cop with your guns. That isn't your job. If you suspect a neighbor's house is being broken into, call 911, and let the pros handle it.

Your guns are for the protection of your life and those of your family. Period. ...and then, only in the face of imminent death or grave bodily harm. Notice that protecting a neighbor's stereo doesn't fit into that definition.

If this scenario represents your understanding of the laws related to concealed carry, I would strongly suggest you don't buy a firearm until you know implicitly when and where the use of deadly force is legal.

...and a hat tip to all the locals who are advising this lad how to ignore his company rules, or how to side-step them, as well as the gun hobbiests giving opinions of holsters and such. The issue here is not how this dude is going to carry, but knowing why.
    Exactly correct! I don't remember all of the details, but a guy a few miles down the road from my parents did something similar to that. His neighbor had some dude trying to kick down his door and the guy grabbed his shotgun and walked over there and then shot him and killed him. I believe he went to jail for manslaughter or something like that. Either way, too many years in jail for someones tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    This is exactly what I was thinking. There are absolutely no legal repercussions if you were to get caught. Is your job at K***** worth your personal safety? I guess that depends. Times are tough, right now. I know what I would do, though.
    I just wanted to point out you were making a false choice argument here. To wit: the choice is between your job and your life. That's hardly the case, but thanks for the hyperbole.

I just wanted to point out you were making a false choice argument here. To wit: the choice is between your job and your life. That's hardly the case, but thanks for the hyperbole.
    No... I said personal safety. Not getting killed, or even preventing being killed. No gun will do those things. They may help, but they wont prevent it. What I said makes perfect sense for the question at hand. Thanks for the input, though.

Quote Originally Posted by thehustleman View Post
    IThey gave me an extremely contradictory response

"the k***** company feels that you have every right to maintain your safety while at or coming from work and have no problem with you doing so; however firearms, knives, or other weapons are not allowed to be brought on k***** property by any employee. Failure to comply with this policy would result in dismissal.

Please stay safe! "

I wouldn't say this is a contradictory response. It's corporate/legal speech, but it's very clear: "we don't care if you pack a gun on your way to work (they can't tell you not to protect yourself), but don't bring it into the store or you will get fired (the policy is in place to protect the corporation from liability in case an employee shoots up the place)."

My advice to you is do not bring the gun into the store if you care about your job. Even if you don't care about your job, they might call the cops on you. So check your local laws or call your local PD and ask what they would do if K***** called them about you packing heat. If the manager is sufficiently panicky on the phone with the cops it's not a far stretch to imagine 4 cop cars showing up, disco lights blazing, 4 edgy cops pointing their guns at you, making you "assume the position," taking your gun away, cuffing you, and only when they're satisfied you're not going to pop a cap in anybody might they think to actually check your wallet for a pistol permit.

Now, back to your question about holsters. If you want to carry the LCP concealed, the best way is IWB holster (inside waist band holster). Blackhawk makes these $10 holsters that fit the LCP like a glove. I would not use a pocket holster, too obvious. Also, if you think about it, someone could potentially ask you to empty your pockets, but it's unlikely that someone will ask you to pull down your pants.

No, he is in the state of GA. In the state of GA, you cannot get into legal trouble by bringing a firearm into work. The employer can fire you if they have told you not to. They can make you leave the premises immediately, and can call the police, who can make you leave immediately. If you refuse, you will be charged with trespassing. Legally, he is fine. The risk is whether it is worth being fired if he were to be caught.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    No, he is in the state of GA. In the state of GA, you cannot get into legal trouble by bringing a firearm into work. The employer can fire you if they have told you not to. They can make you leave the premises immediately, and can call the police, who can make you leave immediately. If you refuse, you will be charged with trespassing. Legally, he is fine. The risk is whether it is worth being fired if he were to be caught.
    Thanks for the info. Good ole' GA. I was projecting the state of CT on everyone. There was a recent incident at a Applebees/Chili's/Friday's/Tuesday's/Friendly's kind of place. A customer came in and there was some sort of discussion with the manager and someone saw his gun sticking out of his jacket and called the cops, "Oh my god, the guy has a gun!" They showed up, pulled guns on him, made him get on the ground and all that. He didn't get into trouble and luckily didn't get shot.

Oh, my bad. That whole scene you described sounds like it could happen to any of us... how terrible. I have thought about that scenario before, but have never actually heard of it happening (not that I have really researched or anything). Lol, glad he didn't get in trouble, or even worse, killed by the cops. Makes me think about the scene in Tommy Boy when he walks into the bank and yells "everybody listen up!". Panic ensues, security throws him their guns. They tell the media that he hit them, repeatedly, over the head with a hammer.

If you want to go "check them out" and try to eye-ball the perp, DON'T TAKE A GUN. If you mean it when you say "H#LL NO!", then why consider taking a gun along?

You're acting like a junior LEO. It' not you're job to eyeball criminals, and you're asking for trouble. As others have noted, sometimes the local PD doesn't even bother to investigate burglaries in certain areas and jurisdictions. You are putting yourself at risk for someone else's stereo and big-screen TV. That's not smart.
    I'm not LEO, junior LEO, nor would I ever want to be LEO, let's get that out the way!!!

the gun would be concealed, plus who knows if the perps are armed or not?

if they attack or threaten me, then yes, I would reveal what I have and use it.

I'm usually a CC person, but every now and then I OC and a tme like that WOULD NOT be the time to OC!

And back to the matter at hand - no, there would be no legal ramifications on carrying, and long as I'm not found out I keep the job (whatever help that may be lol) but I'm planning on leaving here ASAP anyway.

Remember that it's easier to get forgivness than it is to get permission. Concealed is concealed. CANT= carry always never tell.
    Your weapon will never be seen by anyone except you and the BG that is trying to kill you or your family. Never show your buddies or brag about it, it's none of their business. I have been on many trips with friends and to this day they do not even know that I carry.
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

I don't know about Georgia, but here in Texas you're authorized to use deadly force to protect a 3rd party's property if you reasonably believe the third party has requested you protect his or her property.
    "
    PC 9.43. PROTECTION OF THIRD PERSON'S PROPERTY. A person
    is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect
    land or tangible, movable property of a third person if, under the circumstances
    as he reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be
    justified under Section 9.41 or 9.42 in using force or deadly force to
    protect his own land or property and:
    (1) the actor reasonably believes the unlawful interference constitutes
    attempted or consummated theft of or criminal mischief to the
    tangible
    movable property; or
    (2) the actor reasonably believes that:
    (A) the third person has requested his protection of the land or
    property;
    (B) he has a legal duty to protect the third person's land or property;
    or
    (C) the third person whose land or property he uses force or
    deadly force to protect is the actor's spouse, parent, or child, resides
    with the actor, or is under the actor's care."

Now, that being said, your first step should always be to call 911 and if possible let the police handle it. However you are justified to protect your neighbors property if he asks you to.

I talk to my neighbors on a regular basis and have had this discussion with them. Most agree that we should protect each other and our property. I only have one neighbor as a matter of fact that does not feel this way. And if I see somebody threatening his property I will simply call the LEOs.

Quote Originally Posted by 40khammer View Post
    I talk to my neighbors on a regular basis and have had this discussion with them. Most agree that we should protect each other and our property. I only have one neighbor as a matter of fact that does not feel this way. And if I see somebody threatening his property I will simply call the LEOs.
    You said you were in Texas. Texas is unique among states as state law allows you to use deadly force to protect property. No other state allows it IIRC. My personal morality is that I am not going to take another's life over insured property. If you're OK with it, that's your decision, and you get to live with the consequences.
    Last edited by MadMac; April 14th, 2011 at 10:11 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links