At work carry

This is a discussion on At work carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work a simple job at a grocery store but I work late and ride the bus. The problem is, I pass through some very ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: At work carry

At work carry

I work a simple job at a grocery store but I work late and ride the bus.

The problem is, I pass through some very dangerous places with some real hoodlums around, but my job doesn't allow carry.

I sent an anonymous email to corporate asking about this policy and informing them that I don't have a car to leave it in, and the store is in a dangerous area. I asked why this policy was in place, a policy that allows customers to carry all the time but employees can't even have a weapon in their locker.

They gave me an extremely contradictory response

"the k***** company feels that you have every right to maintain your safety while at or coming from work and have no problem with you doing so; however firearms, knives, or other weapons are not allowed to be brought on k***** property by any employee. Failure to comply with this policy would result in dismissal.

Please stay safe! "

So at this point I'm remembering that concealed means concealed!

I've recently put a ruger lcp on layaway at budsgunshop.com and will be carrying that in a pocket holster.

And good ideas for concealment holsters for that particular weapon?

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk!
    It's better to prevent a crime, than to punish it.

2. Remove Ads

I'd just start looking for a different job in a better area. Pocket holster is your best bet, but I dunno... Take your chances I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd start looking for another job but at the same time I know that's no easy feat in today's economy so I think you are on the right track. If you can find another job paying close to the same as you are making now fairly easily then even if they fire you how much money are you really missing out on?

Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    I'd start looking for another job but at the same time I know that's no easy feat in today's economy so I think you are on the right track. If you can find another job paying close to the same as you are making now fairly easily then even if they fire you how much money are you really missing out on?
    not much Ill tell you that!

But yes, I am looking for another job, plus another place to live because some hoodlum broke into a neighbors home.

Had I known it was happening, I would have went over to the neighbors home with my guns and checked things out.

Police didn't even try to help, they didn't check for prints or anything, they just took a report and left. What's the point?

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thehustleman View Post
    "the k***** company feels that you have every right to maintain your safety while at or coming from work and have no problem with you doing so; however firearms, knives, or other weapons are not allowed to be brought on k***** property by any employee. Failure to comply with this policy would result in dismissal.

Please stay safe! "
    They seem to have left you a loophole, whether they intended to or not. Have someone else who is not a Kroger employee bring your gun onto their property. You have it in writing -- they have 'no problem' with you 'maintaining your safety while at work', as long as you don't personally bring the firearm on the property. If it's already there, you didn't bring it. Problem solved.

I am not a lawyer, I don't know your state's laws, yada yada yada. Nobody will notice a LCP/P3AT in your pocket holster, especially if you put something else in your pocket to break up the outline a bit. You could tape some junk to the bottom of the holster. I really doubt they will ask you to turn your pockets out, and if they do, don't. Just find another job.

Well here in Georgia, it's not illegal to carry into a place that doesn't allow guns UNLESS it's a law preventing it. It's no law preventing carry at work so I'm free to carry, but they'll fire me if they find out so I'll carry and STFU!

Pocket carry, tucked IWB or appendix (I forgot what they call the girdle holster...Oh yeah, Smart Carry). Any of those would work.

I've done the grocery retail thing, depending on your position, I'd put pocket carry at the bottom of the option list.

Your job if you get caught, or safety at all times. Your choice.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Deep concealment is best for carry in a non-permissive environment [NPE]. Check out smartcarry.

But yes, I am looking for another job, plus another place to live because some hoodlum broke into a neighbors home.

Had I known it was happening, I would have went over to the neighbors home with my guns and checked things out.

Police didn't even try to help, they didn't check for prints or anything, they just took a report and left. What's the point?
    Owning a firearm does not make you an ersatz LEO. Say you took your guns over and "checked it out". What if you were attacked and ended up shooting a prowler? Do you think a jury would hold you blameless when you sought out the confrontation in another's home?

What if you came in on a couple of his relatives stealthily setting your neighbor up for a surprise birthday party, and shot his 16 year old nephew when he jumped out and scared you?

You can't go playing cop with your guns. That isn't your job. If you suspect a neighbor's house is being broken into, call 911, and let the pros handle it.

Your guns are for the protection of your life and those of your family. Period. ...and then, only in the face of imminent death or grave bodily harm. Notice that protecting a neighbor's stereo doesn't fit into that definition.

If this scenario represents your understanding of the laws related to concealed carry, I would strongly suggest you don't buy a firearm until you know implicitly when and where the use of deadly force is legal.

...and a hat tip to all the locals who are advising this lad how to ignore his company rules, or how to side-step them, as well as the gun hobbiests giving opinions of holsters and such. The issue here is not how this dude is going to carry, but knowing why.
    Last edited by MadMac; April 12th, 2011 at 10:20 AM.
    JBinMont and Ally like this.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Owning a firearm does not make you an ersatz LEO. Say you took your guns over and "checked it out". What if you were attacked and ended up shooting a prowler? Do you think a jury would hold you blameless when we sought out the confrontation in another's home? You can't go playing cop with your guns. That isn't your job. If you suspect a neighbor's house is being broken into, call 911, and let the pros handle it.

Your guns are for the protection of your life and those of your family. Period. ...and then, only in the face of imminent death or grave bodily harm. Notice that protecting a neighbor's stereo doesn't fit into that definition.
    Excellent post. It should be a sticky. Or a college course titled "How Not to Get Jammed Up 101."
    JBinMont likes this.

For the LCP, any decent pocket holster will be nice for pocket carry (I like the Fist #5 a lot), and you'll want to consider picking up a Remora holster too, it will let you IWB carry literally anywere around the perimeter of your waist at any cant angle, as well as allow you to change between carry positions instantly. The LCP disappears IWB with a Remora.

One must remember, "ME IS A GOOD GUY" is not tattoo'd on your forehead. If you see a burglary in progress even at your neighbors house, call 911 and be a good witness, nothing more. Responding LEO's seeing you armed, and your going down, cuffed and stuffed until its sorted out.
    "Trouble Never Makes An Appointment"

Quote Originally Posted by cnauman View Post
    I'd just start looking for a different job in a better area. Pocket holster is your best bet, but I dunno... Take your chances I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ^^^this!^^^

I understand that jobs are hard to come by right now, but if Kroger (come on, we all know who you work for) won't let you carry to protect yourself, which they are within their rights to do, then it's time for you to find a job that is at least in an area that you don't feel you are in danger in.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think that any good pocket holster that breaks the outline of the gun will be perfect. Another option would be the SmartCarry which would allow for even deeper concealment.

SmartCarry

Buckj and gottabkiddin like this.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Owning a firearm does not make you an ersatz LEO. Say you took your guns over and "checked it out". What if you were attacked and ended up shooting a prowler? Do you think a jury would hold you blameless when you sought out the confrontation in another's home?

What if you came in on a couple of his relatives stealthily setting your neighbor up for a surprise birthday party, and shot his 16 year old nephew when he jumped out and scared you?

You can't go playing cop with your guns. That isn't your job. If you suspect a neighbor's house is being broken into, call 911, and let the pros handle it.

If this scenario represents your understanding of the laws related to concealed carry, I would strongly suggest you don't buy a firearm until you know implicitly when and where the use of deadly force is legal.

...and a hat tip to all the locals who are advising this lad how to ignore his company rules, or how to side-step them, as well as the gun hobbiests giving opinions of holsters and such. The issue here is not how this dude is going to carry, but knowing why.

perhaps I should have elaborated more on that statement.

I didn't think about how it would be perceived until you emphasized it and broke down why it's a problem.

What I should have said in addition to it was I'd go over and check it out, as in find out what's going on, possibly get a good look at the suspect so that I can give a description, plus I would have called a LEO anyway.

But a "some guys broke in but I didn't see them, just heard them" wouldn't sound nearly as good as "the first guy was about 5'8" blond, long hair, big feet, muscular build, the second one was dark haired, at least 6'6", very slim build, short hair" IMHO

would I engage a perp?

H#LL NO! And for the very reasons that you stated "protection of MY life and those of MY family."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links