Wait Time for CCHP in Wake County, North Carolina: 82 days

This is a discussion on Wait Time for CCHP in Wake County, North Carolina: 82 days within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my CCHP today! I applied for it at the Wake County Sheriff's Department in Raleigh on January 21, 2011, after having succesfully ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wait Time for CCHP in Wake County, North Carolina: 82 days

I just got my CCHP today! I applied for it at the Wake County Sheriff's Department in Raleigh on January 21, 2011, after having succesfully completed an 8-hour CCHP Class in Fuquay-Varina. The clerk at the Sheriff's Department told me it would take ten weeks.
    Turns out she was not kidding. It took me 82 days (approx. 11 weeks) to receive it -- in the mail. I had been told by a friend that they called him and he had to go pick it up at the Sheriff's office. I guess they have changed their policy, and people get it in the mail now.
    Anyways, I just wanted to let my experience be known to anyone else in Wake County who is waiting for the CCHP or is thinking of applying for one.
    Better to fight for something than live for nothing.
    --George S. Patton

WOW! I take it NC has no statewide rule on permit turnaround?

Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    WOW! I take it NC has no statewide rule on permit turnaround?
    The rule is 90 days. I got mine in Wake County in 43 days last year but I guess they are lagging a bit now.

A friend of mine teaches the Concealed carry class.

He said all his classes are full. He is seeing more people going for their permits than in years past so it makes sense that its taking longer to get the permit. More applications to process. Last year this time only took me 23 days.

I'm in Guilford County NC, it took me 4 weeks to get into a class at our local range, then another 5 weeks to get an appointment with the sheriff's office and now I'm in process of waiting (up to 90 days) to receive "the call" that my permit is ready. Quite a long process, July 11th (or hopefully sooner) can't come soon enough!

Phillip

I applied Jan 10 and just recieved my permit today. That puts it around 93 days for me.

Over the maximum 90 I might add.

I just called to get a status update as its been 82 days as of today. And was told that they had 90 days to approve or deny but that did not include time to mail it to me. Said expect around 110 days

NC GS says it must be issued or denied within 90s so they received an e-mail pointing that out.

It's really rather annoying as wake county used to support our 2nd amendment rights.

In Iredell county it took me five weeks.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Let's see. You sent them an email telling them what their time limit was 8 days before it was up. Maybe it's just me but I would have waited until the 90 days had expired.

With my way I got a very nice apology e-mail stating that they would contact the SBI get a status update on my permit application along with promising to call me the same day the permit arrives. I thanked them for the response and courtesy.

Nothing wrong with being an advocate for yourself.

In Beaufort County it took approx 42 days in 2009.

In new hanover co

It took pretty much all of 90 days for me.

If anyone's still interested...

I applied at the Wake County Sheriff's Department on April 11, 2012 and received my CC permit via postal mail on June 19, 2012. So, a bit under 70 days for me.

Rowan County is right at the 90 day limit....
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

A friend has applied in Guilford County. Seriff's department told him it would take at least 75 days to process. On the 76th day he called and was told to call back on the 90th day or later to check the status of his application. Called back on the 95th day and was told it was on the Supervisor's desk to be sent to Raleigh for the permit to be issued. Expect it in about 20 more days.

A Sheriff's Department clerk that handles permit applications said they are currently handling about 30 applications per day!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links