had to show my CHL today.

This is a discussion on had to show my CHL today. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After getting home from work, I needed to go pay a couple of bills.So I hopped in the truck and headed out. on the way ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: had to show my CHL today.

had to show my CHL today.

After getting home from work, I needed to go pay a couple of bills.So I hopped in the truck and headed out. on the way back I had to stop at a red light,while I was waiting a Police car eased right up on my bumer. I was legal,at least I thought I was. As soon as the light turned green the blue lights went on. so i pulled off the main road on a side street and rolled down my windows. The officer walked up and waited for what seemed like 10 minute(,maybe looking in the back of my truck or something) He asked "do you know why I stopped you?" I said "no sir." he said my right brake light was out. He then asked for license and insurance, I put my hands on the steering wheel and didnt move,I said " I have a permit and I am carrying." he said "where is it?" I told him it was in the glove compartment. About that time a second officer appeared in a second car. The second officer stepped off to the side of my truck about 20 feet or so ,I'm guessing to keep a better eye on me.

I gave my licenses,registration and insurance to the first officer. He said he would be back in a minute. After what seemed like 10 minutes he returned and handed me all my paperwork,then he said "your clean or you wouldnt have one fo these."smiling and looking at my CHL.I told him I would go straight home and get the brake light taken care of. He and his partner returned to their cars and waited for me to leave. I have to say both officers were polite,professional and courteous snd I got out without a ticket.
    TN_Mike likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    After getting home from work, I needed to go pay a couple of bills.So I hopped in the truck and headed out. on the way back I had to stop at a red light,while I was waiting a Police car eased right up on my bumer. I was legal,at least I thought I was. As soon as the light turned green the blue lights went on. so i pulled off the main road on a side street and rolled down my windows. The officer walked up and waited for what seemed like 10 minute(,maybe looking in the back of my truck or something) He asked "do you know why I stopped you?" I said "no sir." he said my right brake light was out. He then asked for license and insurance, I put my hands on the steering wheel and didnt move,I said " I have a permit and I am carrying." he said "where is it?" I told him it was in the glove compartment. About that time a second officer appeared in a second car. The second officer stepped off to the side of my truck about 20 feet or so ,I'm guessing to keep a better eye on me.

I gave my licenses,registration and insurance to the first officer. He said he would be back in a minute. After what seemed like 10 minutes he returned and handed me all my paperwork,then he said "your clean or you wouldnt have one fo these."smiling and looking at my CHL.I told him I would go straight home and get the brake light taken care of. He and his partner returned to their cars and waited for me to leave. I have to say both officers were polite,professional and courteous snd I got out without a ticket.
    That's how it always seems to go for me, if I get stopped, no ticket. I have gotten stopped a few times; I drive old cars and sometimes they have a light out or something.
    Another time I had pulled out and gotten into the left lane before correcting and staying in the right lane (must have been a slow night, huh?).
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I'm guilty of that too. I just had to drive whatever would run.

Good deal. +1
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

A traffic stop that went exactly as it should have.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Seems like overkill for a broken brake light. Sheesh...

EXCELLENT !!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blastissimo View Post
    Seems like overkill for a broken brake light. Sheesh...
    Murderers, bank robbers and thugs are caught this way all the time.
    Ally likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

It's a fishing tip. You were out of season.
    mkphillips likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Well, they didn't jump back with guns drawn, take your gun apart and put it in bags for later assembly (for their safety??????)...
    I'd say you had a great day, and no ticket.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Are you required to inform an officer that you're armed in Arkansas?

Since you have a CHL, why was the gun in the glovebox instead of on your person?

Oddly enough my right rear break and turn signal bulb went out. The police didn't catch me but every time I had to make a right turn people honked their horns or gave me the bird. Luckily I fixed it first thing the next day.

VIP Member
    With so many new cars using LED arrays for the brake lights, the nature of the "fishing stop" is going to change. New excuse will be found.

It seems to me that almost every day our local newsy reports one or two arrests of someone stopped for a tail light or plate light violation who was found in possession of some minor amount of weed, a pill or two, or a warrant on some former traffic violation.

Maybe that is good policing, but I prefer that people be mostly left alone when they are doing routine stuff. If you were getting a flat the officer might at most somehow signal you that there is a problem and on a really good day protect the scene while you change the flat. A failed brake light really doesn't merit anything more than-- "hey buddy, did you know your lights out-- get it fixed pal."

I don't like fishing.
    Last edited by Hopyard; April 14th, 2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Sounds like a fair stop poppy, good job. I don't care if I'm required to inform or not, I'm going to. Great policy to be honest and forthcoming with LEO, especially when you're hoping for a warning.

I got pulled over and ticketed for inoperative tag lights. The least important light on a car, brake light, tail light, headlight, or turn signal I would understand but a tag light, isn't that what headlights are for? This was long before concealed carry for me. When I got to work I got out and looked and both tag lamps were working, they came by and verified and voided the ticket.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

You may not think so, but break lights being out is stoppable, citable if they want to give you a fix it ticket. You may think that they LEO's are fishing, but in the letter of the law, they have every right to stop you if they see it.
    joker1 likes this.
    "Trouble Never Makes An Appointment"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links