National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Bill

This is a discussion on National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Bill within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mill419 and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Bill

Quote Originally Posted by mill419 View Post

and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun
    That's government speak for a driver's license & CCW permit.

It's not a plot to impliment "papers" for everyone...
    Hopyard likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mill419 View Post
    I am really uneasy about the "government-issued photographic identification" language. It doesn't say a State-issued ID.....
    Which is good, as my concealed handgun permit was NOT issued by my state but by my county.

The problem with this is that most states do not have the same requirements for CWP's. My state, SC, requires that one take a mandatory 8 hour course that reviews legalese on carrying a weapon and show proficiency in shooting a weapon. The state of Georgia has no such requirement: you go in and apply for a permit and get it(shall issue). This is why so many states have issues with reciprocity. If the states cannot agree on this, how is the government going to help with this?

For me, no go on the National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Bill...until the states' can agree to agree!
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

+1 Hubs........... My guess is every state has firearm legislation awaiting or stalled in their house or senate right now. Just way too messy.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    It is hard for me to say that I don't want this to happen, because I would love for national reciprocity to be in effect, but I don't like the door that it opens.

If the Federal Gov. can force the States to allow reciprocity, what could they also do to restrict our gun rights in a later "more enlightened" government or age when the numbers are in their favor.

I don't think I support this bill for now. I might be able to be convinced to change my mind though.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    It is hard for me to say that I don't want this to happen, because I would love for national reciprocity to be in effect, but I don't like the door that it opens.

If the Federal Gov. can force the States to allow reciprocity, what could they also do to restrict our gun rights in a later "more enlightened" government or age when the numbers are in their favor.
    What makes you think that they can't, would not, do that in any case? That door will be open whenever they decide to open it unless we can stop them at that time. In the mean time we might as well have nationwide reciprocity IMHO.

Ken
    Hopyard and press1280 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    ...If the states cannot agree on this, how is the government going to help with this?

For me, no go on the National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Bill...until the states' can agree to agree!
    Ok, let me see if I follow this: you are against a bill that would force the states to agree until that time that they agree on their own ... ? did I get that right?

Minnesota is trying to push this into effect right now, without the feds... I hope it goes through, I have emailed all to encourage the bill to pass - this along with many other great enhancements to our gun laws.

Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by gdkenoyer View Post
    Ok, let me see if I follow this: you are against a bill that would force the states to agree until that time that they agree on their own ... ? did I get that right?
    No, I am saying the states' need to have the same requirements for CC. Why should someone carry if he/she has not taken a course like me for 8 hours? I just don't like the idea of people CC with no knowledge of the law and no proof of proficiency. Until then, it's a big no.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Good luck with that..... I wouldn't count on it anytime soon.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    No, I am saying the states' need to have the same requirements for CC. Why should someone carry if he/she has not taken a course like me for 8 hours? I just don't like the idea of people CC with no knowledge of the law and no proof of proficiency. Until then, it's a big no.
    The states don't even have uniform traffic laws. You could get a ticket in one state for something that is perfectly legal for a driver to do in another state.

Maybe I need to create a signature line-- "Repeal the 10th; One nation indivisible"

Sir, I am just curious as to where in the 2nd Amendment you found the requirement for equal training under the law?

Ken
    Simms65 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post

I don't think I support this bill for now. I might be able to be convinced to change my mind though.
    According to some people, the Feds are trying to do that all the time anyway (restrict our gun rights). They dont need this bill to do (or attempt) it. Or to 'open a door' to it.

I see both sides here, and understand the concerns against it....except this bill seems like a move in the right direction. (pun intended)

My feelings on gun laws in general however, are that they only affect the people they dont need to be concerned about anyway. Anyone up to no good could give a hoot about gun laws. So I think most gun laws are a waste....and unConstitutional.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Some states have no training or knowlege requirements. Like mine. And there is no higher incidence in gun accidents/crimes between those states and those with stricter regulation. We've had some discussion on this in the past.
    oneshot likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

There are governments that go away and new people try to form a new government. I always thought why not adopt our constitution and then follow that? Of course it might help were we to follow it to!

Most of us drive some type of vehicle and have a driver's license to do so and it is valid in any state and most foreign countries. A driver's license is to allow a person to practice a privilege not a right granted under the constitution in any state in the union. A Concealed Weapon license/permit is issued to allow a right granted by the constitution. Now I have to ask what is the problem if I have a valid license to carry a concealed weapon issued by my state or county in traveling interstate? It is unconstitutional to bar a citizen from interstate travel, so driver's licenses are accepted wherever you go and this is for a privilege? Imagine if you will what driving was like the weapon license? We would never go any where because we would not be sure if we were legal or not!

National reciprocity? Of course it should be that way.
    Motto of the Lance Nuclear Missile System: :Nuke em till they glow, then shoot them in the dark!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links