Why do you carry (or not carry)?

This is a discussion on Why do you carry (or not carry)? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by m287452 Ok, so what situations do you think about as "I might need a gun in this scenario"? That's all I'm asking. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Why do you carry (or not carry)?

Quote Originally Posted by m287452 View Post
    Ok, so what situations do you think about as "I might need a gun in this scenario"? That's all I'm asking.
    Any violent crime that may happen to myself or my loved ones. Take your pick, murder, rape, aggravated assualt, etc.... I would certainly think "I might need a gun if I am involved in a violent crime". I am not one of those that would pull my gun to stop a robbery at the convenience store but I would defend myself and my family from the threat of serious bodily injury or death, without hesitation. I carry for SELF DEFENSE (self includes my loved ones/family).
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

2. Remove Ads

When I was in junior high my stepfather was a Major in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. We lived in state housing within the confines of a 12 ft fence with razor wire at the top and only one gated entrance into the compound. The only people allowed through the highway gate were people that worked or lived on the compound. Yet somehow somebody got in one day and attempted to blow up a high school girl's car in her own driveway. The person had opened the gas tank and placed a fuel soaked rag inside and lit it. Luckily the flames somehow did not contact the fuel in the tank. I'm not saying a gun would have protected this family from the potential car bomb since they didn't even find out about it until the next morning when the girl was leaving for school, but the point is bad things can happen in even the safest environments. Here was a fenced in "secured" compound with guards and patrols and yet a, for lack of a better term, "bad guy" got in and could have caused alot of damage to both property and person. I carry everywhere I go because it no longer "inconveniences" me. I've become so used to it that I actually feel weird when I don't carry. I agree with MadMack however. Carrying a firearm shouldn't be the only thing you do right in your life. Exercise, eat healthy, and be careful. If somebody tries to rob you at gunpoint your handgun won't do you any good if you're having a heart attack.

cmidkiff had the best answer though.

Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    Any violent crime that may happen to myself or my loved ones. Take your pick, murder, rape, aggravated assualt, etc.... I would certainly think "I might need a gun if I am involved in a violent crime". I am not one of those that would pull my gun to stop a robbery at the convenience store but I would defend myself and my family from the threat of serious bodily injury or death, without hesitation. I carry for SELF DEFENSE (self includes my loved ones/family).
    Ok, so you believe that on your way to the grocery store at 10 am on a Saturday someone will try to murder, rape or assault you for no reason? Ok, so maybe they want money. And if they point a gun or knife in your face and ask you for money, what are you going to do? How does having a gun on your hip help with these scenarios?

I'm not saying there aren't scenarios. Here is a scenario I can think of: You're in a store. Someone comes in and pulls out a gun and demands money from the clerk. Maybe he shoots someone. You take out your gun and shoot the guy before he kills you or anyone else.

I'm just looking for examples.

My girlfriend is gorgeous. Absolutely beautiful. I really don't know why she's with me. While I'm not an "ugly" person, I'm sure she could find somebody better looking than me. But, day after day she stays with me and puts up with me. Everywhere we go somebody tries to approach her. I don't even have to say anything though because she is a very spirited woman and has no problem telling a guy to buzz off.

There have been several occasions however in which a person has approached her and was not willing to leave her alone. We were followed for 3 blocks once by a drunk that felt he needed to tell her how much better off she'd be with him. Now, naturally we ignored him and continued walking, but the whole time I was ready to react if he decided talking wasn't enough. I will never let anything happen to my girl if there is anything I can do to stop it. And if I can't...well I'm going to try anyway.

To be honest, its a personal thing, Ill keep it to myself. Be safe and be armed.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Ok, I can see where this is going. So far all I am hearing is "you never know so better be ready." I can appreciate that and I respect that point of view. But I am asking if there are considerations/scenarios/particular concerns that you thought about when making your decision, like what kind of trouble do you expect, do you live in a bad area, are you afraid of dying or losing your money, what?

I have a hard time believing that you guys are in constant fear for you lives. I mean we don't all live in the wild wild west.

But have at it.
    My primary reason is the fact that my Dad was an STG Coordinator and got many a gang banger double sentences. Needless to say my last name isn't one that's particularly well received by that crowd. Ordinarily it probably wouldn't be too big of a deal, but I wear my name on all of my belt buckles. My names not very common either, and with all the threats made against my Dad and our entire family, I'll be carrying daily.

Ok, so you believe that on your way to the grocery store at 10 am on a Saturday someone will try to murder, rape or assault you for no reason?

No but I am not going to say that it can't happen either. Graveyards are full of people who thought bad things would never happen to them.

Ok, so maybe they want money. And if they point a gun or knife in your face and ask you for money, what are you going to do? How does having a gun on your hip help with these scenarios?

If my SA was off and someone was actually in my face with a knife or gun demanding my money then they can have my money. I can make more money.

I'm not saying there aren't scenarios. Here is a scenario I can think of: You're in a store. Someone comes in and pulls out a gun and demands money from the clerk. Maybe he shoots someone. You take out your gun and shoot the guy before he kills you or anyone else.

Not me. I am not a LEO. That's their job not mine. At that point I'd be trying to get the heck out of there or be the best witness I could be. Should his violent crime be aimed at me then it is different. We all debate whether we would defend an innocent 3rd party and I honestly just don't know what I'd do. My family depends on me to come home everyday.

I'm just looking for examples.
    For me, pulling my gun is a last resort and things have deteriorated so badly that I am not able to get out of the situation without serious bodily injury or my death. It all boils down to that if someone wants to prevent me from going home and tucking my children into bed that night then they have a fight coming.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Simple, if it wasn't for my dad carrying I wouldn't still have both my Dad and Mom.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Ok, so you believe that on your way to the grocery store at 10 am on a Saturday someone will try to murder, rape or assault you for no reason?
    Yes. I believe it certainly possible. It happens on a daily basis. And not for no reason. There is always a reason...maybe one you don't understand, but a reason. The reason for rape is often about power and domination, and rarely has anything to do with the actual sex. The reason for assault could be anything from robbery to mental impairment to random gang violence. And the same reasons can apply to murder.

I don't buy into the "it is not likely to happen in the middle of the day" or "in a nice neighborhood" argument. Just last week a woman was sexually assaulted inside the "secure" area of the Denver Airport! Unfortunately, that is an area where the vast majority of people can't carry a firearm for self defense.

In Greenville, SC a nutjob went beserk at Wal-Mart with two butcher knives in the middle of the day. How is Wal-Mart at 1:00 PM on a Saturday any different than:
    the grocery store at 10 am on a Saturday
    If you can be attacked in a Wal-Mart in the middle of a crowded shopping day or assaulted in the "secure" public area of a major international airport, where do you consider yourself immune from potential violence?
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Some further examples:

-Just last month in Philadephia, PA, two pre-teens were arrested last month for playing a game they called "Catch and Wreck," in which they would identify random targets and then beat and rob them for fun. One of their vicitims was a woman walking through a city park in the middle of the day.

-Last year in Seattle, WA a 22-year-old man was arrested for a senseless, brutal attack on a 40-year-old woman as she walked her nine-year-old daughter to daycare . According to Seattle PD, he did not know his victim. Police records say the woman was walking with her daughter about 3:30pm on April 23rd when the 22-year-old man approached the woman from behind at Lanham Pl SW and SW Graham St, grabbed her by her hair, and pulled her to the ground. Records say the attack was "unprovoked by anything." Police say the man "began to beat her with his fists and stomp on her with his feet" before he allegedly pulled out a knife and stabbed the woman 15 times in her body and head. All of this in front of her 9-year-old daughter.

-Last summer in Deptford Township, N.J., 26-year-old stay-at-home mom Jessica Snyder was in the backyard of her own home when a man approached her and pulled out a knife. He told her if she screamed he would stab her. She screamed and he stabbed her multiple times. The attack happened around noon (as "broad dalyight" as you can get...except maybe in Alaska ) as Snyder was walking to the mailbox. Her 3-year-old son was inside during the whole incident. The middle of the day...in her own yard.

These were not drug-deals gone bad or gang-on-gang violence. Nor were they stupid drunk vicitms wandering through dark downtown alleyways at 2:00 AM with twenty-dollar-bills hanging out of their pockets. The victims were just normal people living their normal lives.

Yes, my job requires that I carry a gun. But the above incidents, and others just like them that happen every day all across America...that is why I carry a firearm 24/7.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

OK

I do not carry about 80% of the time. I am retired Navy and work in the ship repair business; the ships I go on every day Government or not are normally in controlled areas IE Navy Base or international terminals or dry docks, all of them are forbidden CCW areas, I also go to a Navy Gym after work 3-4 times a week (again on a Navy base)

Out shopping or running around on weekends day time I do not carry. If I am going out with my family after dark I carry because I am afraid I will not be able protect them otherwise (logical fear) I do not think about it but I am ready if by the slimmest of chance I need to have a gun. This is somewhat recent for years I did not carry but about 1% of the time if that. But times are economically harder and crime has risen in the Hampton roads area of Va in the last 36 months or so. Now I carry

I also go to the gun range several times a week and I always have my carry gun on me then as well as any other in the range bag I am looking to play with that day but always do drills with my carry gun while there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    Some further examples:

These were not drug-deals gone bad or gang-on-gang violence. Nor were they stupid drunk vicitms wandering through dark downtown alleyways at 2:00 AM with twenty-dollar-bills hanging out of their pockets. The victims were just normal people living their normal lives.
    These are horrific examples but I cannot see how carrying a gun would have helped these people. By the time they knew what was going on they were no longer in a position to draw a weapon and defend themselves.

These are horrific examples but I cannot see how carrying a gun would have helped these people. By the time they knew what was going on they were no longer in a position to draw a weapon and defend themselves.
    I could not disagree with your statement more. In none of the examples I cited does it say "The victim was struck from behind and knocked immediately unconscious without ever seeing their attacker". If someone was threatening me with a knife and I believed they intended to use it, you can certainly bet I would draw against the knife. If my wife (she carries) were knocked to the ground and a man began to assault her, you think she would simply say, "Well, he has already started the assault, so no point in drawing my firearm and putting a stop to it now...I might as well just let him finish."?

I'm not trying to bust your chops, but please explain to me how none of these victims were in a position to draw a weapon and end the violent attack on them.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Even if someone had the jump on me I'd still like to have a fighting chance than no chance at all.

Just 2 weeks ago a beauty queen was the victim of a home invasion and her bad guy beat her and yet she was still able to get away long enuff to kill her intruder before he could continue beating her or kill her. It happens every single day.

Meghan Brown (PICTURE): Florida beauty queen kills intruder with pink gun - Crimesider - CBS News

m287452, are you saying that you do not believe anything bad can happen to you and if it did happen and you had a gun you could not defend yourself or at least attempt to defend yourself?

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Well, of course if somebody sneaks on you from behind and violently stabs or shoots you to death there is not much you or anyone else can do. Nonetheless, this is not usually the case. A gun itself won't guarantee your safety just by having it on you. One must train with it to shoot accurately and under stress, be able to draw and reload quickly, shoot from different positions (on your back, face down, on your knees, sitting down, while moving, etc.) and you must also factor in the use of common sense, awareness of your surroundings and self-defense techniques that will help you survive a violent attack. What I can guarantee you though, is that a person that has a handgun on them during a violent attack will have 99% more probability of surviving the attack than a person that has absolutely nothing to defend themselves with. The issue that people always overlook when debating whether to carry or not, is that it is completely unpredictable when an attack may happen. Therefore, my belief is that it's better to carry 100% of the time and come across as a paranoid freak to other people, than to be caught off guard and regret not having your gun with you at that moment. I learned this from personal experience and I can tell you that it's not fun at all. I have never in my life been against the use or ownership of firearms by civilians, but at one moment in my life I just didn't think that I had to own a firearm and much less conceal one. I had a mentality that those things only happened to people that live in poor neighborhoods or people that are stupid enough to expose themselves to crime. Nonetheless, my eyes opened up when me and my wife almost became a statistic of a violent attack at our gated community with 24/7 armed security guards. If that happened to me at the safety of my home, what could possibly happen to me while driving, parking, in the mall, at a store, etc.? The odds are that I will probably will never have to use my handgun for self-defense, but if I do, I will have it with me and not in my house.

What I don't support, is for people to obsess about firearms, calibers, back-up guns, lasers, self-defense ammo, tactical gear, AR-15 vs AK-47 vs Shotgun or the need to carry a bunch of stuff. If you are paranoid and feel the need to carry two guns, 4 mags, two knives, a taser, a baton, pepper spray and a huge bag with all kinds of "EDC" survival stuff, then perhaps you shouldn't leave your home or need to seek serious psychiatric help ASAP. In my case, I enjoy visiting this kind of forums, buying different handguns and gear because firearms is one of my passion just like other people like collecting stamps, having nice cars, having expensive watches, photography, etc. I don't walk around my everyday life like a "Mall Ninja" and acting all paranoid wondering when the next attack will be. I'm just an average Joe that happens to carry a weapon in case SHTF and loves firearms for their power, design, engineering and beautiful aesthetics. If someone has a problem with that, they can kiss my.....
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links