Why do you carry (or not carry)?

This is a discussion on Why do you carry (or not carry)? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DaRedneck Just 2 weeks ago a beauty queen was the victim of a home invasion and her bad guy beat her and ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Why do you carry (or not carry)?

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    Just 2 weeks ago a beauty queen was the victim of a home invasion and her bad guy beat her and yet she was still able to get away long enuff to kill her intruder before he could continue beating her or kill her.
    This!!

If she had taken the OP's attitude of "The attack has started so I am no position to defend myself now...", she most likely would have been raped or even murdered. I teach my trainees "Fight until you win...period.".
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I have a funny anecdote. My wife's family was very anti-guns. When they learned that I carried a firearm, enjoyed going to the shooting range and had several firearms, they gave me a long talk about how guns need to be prohibited in order to stop violence and crime, how they are instruments of death and so forth. They told me that as long as I didn't bring the firearm into the house, they didn't have a problem with me carrying a firearm but that I should sell them or even better, destroy them! Well, I obviously didn't pay a single attention to their "kind" advice. So it happens that we were invited to spend the weekend at my parents-in-law's house so I put one of my pistols in my backpack, sneaked into the house and didn't say a word. My wife's siblings kept calling me that weekend "Rambo Wannabe", paranoid, that I was scared like a sissy, etc.. That very same night at approximately 1:40 AM, the alarm of the house went off. I figured that it was just a false alarm due to the wind touching one of the perimeter sensors or one of my wife's brothers came in late and activated it. Suddenly, my father in law and his wife rush into our bedroom, flick on the lights and tells me "Where's your gun????". I told them, right here in the nightstand! What's happening? Some drugged up guy had jumped the fence and was trying to break in!!! Well, isn't that funny...all of a sudden everybody in the house wants to be in Rambo Wannabe's room praying for help while I go scope out the front yard. I took a Surefire flashlight, my EDC handgun and a spare mag. I peeked thru one of the front windows and saw a guy standing in the front yard so I turn on the garden lights and put the strong beam of the LED flashlight in his face. I told him: "Get the hell out of here or you are getting at least 3 shots in the chest". The guy seemed confused, but he was not carrying a knife or handgun. I warned him again. Nothing. So I slide one of the windows open and fire 2 shots to the ground (grass). All I can say is that I have never seen someone run and jump the fence so quickly in my life.

I go to my room and checked on everybody. They all had a "I just crapped my pants" face on them, so I told them that the perp ran away and that we were safe now. We waited until the alarm company (25 mins) and the local police arrived (1 hour). A few weeks after that, I was buying a handgun and a shotgun for my father-in-law. Funny huh? People's perspective about firearms always changes when they need one and they don't have it. I don't blame them. I was one of them.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I worked 9-1-1 for fifteen years and have listened to too many people die while waiting for help to arrive. They believed that if anything bad was ever happening to them all they had to do was pick up the phone and the cavalry would come charging in and save the day. Fantasies like that are fine for children but as adults we must deal with the real world in which we live.

There is no such thing as a "safe" neighborhood. The Goff family in Potomac Maryland thought they lived in a "safe" neighborhood. I bet John Lennon felt he lived in a "safe" part of New York. Depending on their neighborhoods to be safe didn't work out too well for them.

I also have a couple of family members with disabilities. We don't let their disabilities keep them confined to the house. The problem this creates is that while we are out and about, due to their impaired mobility, retreat may no longer be a safe option for me. So I have a choice of either depriving them of attending events like the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo (over two million attendees this year) or the Texas State Fair (over three million attendees), carrying a weapon with which to defend us if needed, or depending on the police and security staff there who are under no obligation to protect us as individuals. With the right belt and holster carrying a pistol and maybe an extra magazine or two is not such a burden.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

sgb
    From my days as an LEO I know that bad things can happen to good people anytime anywhere. Self preservation is why I carry.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Why carry? Why not?
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

I have carried everywhere I legally can for years because I know trouble can come looking for anyone, anytime.

About five years ago trouble came looking for me in the form of a road rage driver. He whipped around my car and cut me off parking diagonally across the road. He jumped out of his vehicle and ran back to my car and pulled the door open. He was screaming how bad he was going to beat me while running to my car. Funny thing was he didn't seem to have the need to beat me so bad when he saw my .45 pointed at his chest. The REALLY amazing thing to me was that he had his two young children with him at the time.

So no, I don't think about specific scenarios, I just try to be prepared at all times. I'm also glad he came to his senses and I didn't have to shoot him in front of his kids.

Also I called 911 and reported the incident. Having told 911 that I had to pull my gun on the guy, it still took the cop 45 minutes to get there to take my report.

After reviewing the incident in my mind another thing I was happy about after it was over was that I had my gun out and the safety off from muscle memory due to the practice I put in. I did however reprogram my car to NOT automatically unlock the doors when I put it in park.

My wife and I carry all the time, as long as it is legal to do so. the reasons we carry are simple, we have 5 children. We carry to protect them and to protect our own lives so that they do not have to grow up with out either of us.

The small town we live in has almost no crime at all, of any kind. So I don't really expect trouble of any kind where we live but I am still not willing to be caught with no real means of defense if something should happen. Now, Indianapolis is a different story. We are only 12 miles from Indy, and from what I can tell, Indy is a more dangerous city for a normal person, ie not a gang member or crack head, than Memphis (where we lived prior to moving here) is. The violent crime in Memphis is primarily gang on gang or some scum bag trying to buy drugs getting shot. In Indy, it tends to effect normal citizens much more than it does in Memphis. And you never know when some of it might decode to take a short trip 12 miles out of town, and find you.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

As a result of previous experences I refuse to be a victim. I carry on a daily basis. When I put on my pants I put on my EDC. Having a gun on me has saved my butt on several occasions. Yes it was drawn and aimed. Worked real good too.
    Some people feel that they will never confront evil and I hope they never do. But once you see evil or confront danger face to face your life and attitude change.
    Semper Fi

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I don't carry daily because of work but I carry to protect myself and family.

If you think a small town where everyone knows everyone is safe, Google the name summer inman. She was killed after work one evening after being kidnapped. A guy tried to help her but had no way to protect himself and was run off as they were taking her with force. Zip tie around the neck was the cause of death and her body stuffed in a septic tank. If this guy was,armed and had the mindset she could be alive today.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I carry everywhere I can.

I have had the misfortune of being robbed at gunpoint. Myself and two friends were out walking one night (not the best idea, but we'd been inside for a week), when two people walked past us from behind. They waited until they were about 10 feet in front of us, then I heard the slides snap forward. Next thing I knew, I was staring down the barrel of a loaded 9mm. Nobody got hurt, but I found that I wasn't scared (like most people would be). I was PISSED. I then decided that I would never be in that kind of situation again- unarmed, facing a very lethal threat.

I couldn't afford it by my 21st birthday, but by my 22nd, I bought my 'little' .357mag. And I haven't gone anywhere without it since. Earlier this year, I got my .45. I leave the .357 behind, and now carry my .45 everywhere. Luckily I haven't needed either, but I AM prepared to defend myself, and my fiancee.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    I carry whenever and where ever legal to. As to why I carry, the answer is simple. I plan to return home at the end of the day.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I've really enjoyed reading the responses to this post.
    I've been thinking about this to see if I can come up with anything original or different to say. . .
    I carry if I am going somewhere potentially dangerous and I feel like I would rather be safe than sorry. I don't carry all the time though, in part because I am afraid that if I got caught carrying in a place I was not allowed, I could end up behind bars or at the very least, without a job.
    No matter what, I try to always be aware of my situation and surroundings, and I have been trained quite well in self-defense. At least I have a small chance of defending myself without a gun if I am aware, can fight, or can run like heck.
    But primarily, I enjoy being able to carry my gun concealed legally so that I can purchase a handgun more easily in my state, and I can drive to a range and not have to worry about where my gun is in the car.
    If I lived in my home town of Lynn, Massachusetts, I would most likely have a gun on me just about 24/7, but in rural NC, it isn't as much of a concern.
    Anyways, them's my two cents!
    Better to fight for something than live for nothing.
    --George S. Patton

Because of the times we are living in now. And maybe because I got more common sense.

RKM
    I carry every single day. I honestly don't feel like I have to. I don't feel at risk or in any sort of danger. I don't think anything is ever going to happen that I'll need it. But neither does anybody else who gets stabbed, murdered, raped, etc. I force myself to carry everyday to make it "normal". I don't think anything of it anymore. It's just nice to know it's there.

I figure if I carry it, I won't need it. I used to always find myself in a situation where I'd say "man, I wish I had a pen". So I started carrying a pen around, and I haven't used it since. Hopefully the same is true for my gun :)

I carry at all times and places it is legal for me to do so. I EXPECT no trouble at all. If I were EXPECTING trouble, I'd take a shotgun. I read the local (surrounding area) paper and watch the local news and see way too much violent crime happening in places where my family frequent to just ignore it. And we don't live in a bad area, just a sleepy little small town. Is carrying a guarantee? No. It may or may not make a difference, but at least I feel like my equipment and training gives me somewhat of a chance. My wife and two small kids depend on me to take care of them...this is part of it...right up there with making a living, providing food, clothes, housing, and college funding. Basic care of those you are responsible for.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links