Why do you carry (or not carry)?

This is a discussion on Why do you carry (or not carry)? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently received a robo call from our local law enforcement agency informing us that there has been an increase in home invasions and break ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Why do you carry (or not carry)?

I recently received a robo call from our local law enforcement agency informing us that there has been an increase in home invasions and break ins. Talk about a sobering affect. In addition, I came home a year ago to find my house had been broken into. They kicked in my back door to gain access. I live in a very nice neighborhood with good neighbors. As I cruised through the house (unarmed), I had a very helpless feeling which I never want to experience again. I am a fairly good sized dude who has no trouble taking care of business if I have to but I am not bullet proof either. My decision to carry and have weapons available for the wife who is home alone during the day has nothing to do with living in fear all the time. It is about being prepared. It is about taking care of myself and my family from life's unexpected events. It appears that you are not going to be satisfied with anyone's response and you can always come up with no win situations. I am not one to give up my life without some type of fight. My weapon is a tool to increase my chances. unfortunately, these situations never make an appointment. As the situation unfolds, that is not the time to think through your survival options. You will find, most CCW folks are adults. We dont care if you carry, dont carry, have a CCW and carry or not, as you are responsible for you and yours. How you decide to take care of business is your own. We have made the decision for ourselves.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

2. Remove Ads

I carry when I'm going to be in the "not so nice" part of town, and whenever my "spidey sense" tells me I should. Haven't had to draw, or even touch the gun out in public yet, but ya never know. As the saying goes, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

i carry where and when legal. i live in a bad neighborhood (times change) and now cannot afford to move, beside the fact that i won't allow the bad element to drive me from my own home! in some areas a robin is the first sign of spring, in mine its the first sounds of gunshots. on new years eve this place sounds like a war zone. i guess ammo is easier to get than fireworks. since i am disabled i cannot run away from trouble but i damned sure can make trouble run from me. i refuse to be a victim and will do whatever it takes to protect myself and my family!

My life experience has taught me that it is a good idea.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    m287452, based on a few of your points I get the impression that it would be foolish to draw and fire in situations where an assault is already taking place on your person. There are a number of ways to draw against the drop, fire from the hip, shoot to retain, draw from concealment, and many other skills that are good enough to get you in control of the situation. I will be honest, I started carrying for the wrong reasons. I started carrying at 18. I have been carrying for 2 years now, 6 months just to know I had something to protect myself and the last year and a half professionally carrying for work. I have had a few incidents where having my gun was comforting, such as the shoe store incident, or the time a panhandler would not move so I could get away from him and then he began acting aggressively towards me. I carry because I have family I want to go home to every night, and I want them to be able to be safe in our home. Its for my loved ones more than it is for me, but I keep in mind that if I have to use it to get home, I will and I will also be willing to pay the consequences, lawyer fees, court fees, and the like to make sure I stay home and not in jail.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I travel and have 7 permits I can carry legally in all states but 12
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

There was a time in my life, before I matured, that I was a ruffian. It was during and after my military service days. I spent alot of time in bars, and was in alot of scuffs. I was the type of guy who would just as soon backhand a man for a smart mouth as look at him. I was kinda lost, and looking for direction.

I finally straightened up and caught a break in law enforcement, which probably saved my life because it gave me purpose. I found something I was really good at, and my " stupid days" gave me alot of experience in having a feel for and dealing with people. In one 3 month period I racked up 67 arrests. Some were violent crimes such as rape 1st, assult 1st, murder, and a bunch of others. But most were drug dealers and a few under syndicate statues.

For my efforts I was labeled a " hound dog" by my peers, and a "cowboy" by the administration.
    But to the criminals, I was their enemy number 1. I had to put my daughter in a private school, had my truck set on fire, dog poisoned, and recieved numerous death threats both verbal and written from my "fans".

Now days, I don't do field work, but the threats are still real, and many of those people are out here among us. I can't even go to Walmart, out to eat, or get gas without seeing someone I know.

These days I transport Federal inmates, some are big city gangster, and even terror suspects , to their court appearances, so I am still making enemies.
    If I knew any retalliation against me would be one on one, with no weapons, I would just as soon use my fists and feet. But that is not how they roll. And I know that. I also know that my carrying a weapon is not going to save me from every situation. If someone wants you bad enough, they can make it happen. But, between avoiding places they are, being vigilant, and carrying, it's the best choice I have until I can retire and move away.
    As with most here, it's the family I worry most about, because these type of people have no morals, and would kill your family in front of you. The laugh at the justice system, and have nothing to lose, but we do because we care, and have a good life.

So, if you carry to protect yourself and family, remember, it's not your gun that scares these people, it's the resolve they see in you to follow through and do what must be done. They know the difference.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by m287452 View Post
    I know this forum is dedicated to concealed carry issues, and I think one of the main issues around this is not only how we carry and when we feel entitled to use our weapons, but also why we carry in the first place.

Some of us carry all the time. Some of us probably never carry. Some of us make that decision based on where we are going and what we are planning on doing that day. I am curious what goes on in everyone's mind when they make that decision. Or what made you decide that you will always carry? Or what made you decide that you just don't want to carry at all?

So, when do you carry and why? What kind of trouble do you expect (e.g. hold-up, car jacking, social altercation, etc.)? What kind of area do you live in? Anything you want to tell.

I'm not asking this because I want to challange anyone's logic, and I carry myself in certain situations, but I am interested in these scenarios because I am trying to figure out when a gun would actually come in handy since I've never had to use one or fight for my life (thank God). I carry for the same reasons as most people here, just in case. But ultimately does it really matter? Will any of us be able to identify a threat to our lives in advance and defend ourselves without landing in jail for shooting someone who may have or may not have wanted to hurt us. I think the decision is much easier when you are protecting your home, but when you are carrying the problem I always run up against is that you may not know for sure if it's a life-threatening situation until it's too late. Yes, I will fight for my life, gun or no gun, but if someone's intention is purely to hurt me I doubt they will give me the chance to pull out a gun and aim it at them.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

PS. By the way, I already know the standard "just in case" answers, so I would appreciate specifics. What are you afraid of? Do you live in a bad area?
    You're in CT - I lived there for 35 years. That's where my story begins.

When I lived in South Windsor (early '80s) I was doing some community service work that had me talking to people in my neighborhood. One was a quiet, single man who kept an impeccable yard. Didn't know much about him - just waved when we walked past his house, that sort of thing. Well, my project brought me into his home and I found out he had been a victim of armed assault and burglary - they didn't call it "home invasion" back then, but that's what it was. He wasn't physically injured, but this sensitive, intelligent and artistic professional photographer had his life turned upside down by the incident. What started out as a 20-minute interview ended up as a three-hour discussion about personal responsibility, the terror of having no tools (mental or physical) with which to defend against attack, and then being armed. That conversation wasn't a game-changer for me, but it solidified my mind-set.

A couple of years later I was living in a small town in Litchfield County and working in Bristol, and within a short span of time I had some eye-openers that pushed me over the edge into carrying nearly always. First was the vicious murder of a dad visiting his adult daughter 3 houses away, and then within a week's time I saw cops in Bristol holding a guy at gunpoint from behind cover and chasing a guy through a park with guns drawn. My thoughts congealed around the fact that although I lived in a "safe" area, bad things CAN and DO happen anytime, anywhere. I made a point to be armed almost always when I left the house.

In 2003 my job brought me to AZ and I live in Gilbert, often touted as the "safest" town in Maricopa County. New house, safe town, quiet cul-de-sac with kids and young families... idyllic. My level of alertness relaxed a little bit. Got my AZ CCW just the same, kept the CT one alive, but didn't make a habit of being armed all the time. Then another eye-opener happened: a kid walking to his job at the corner Circle K saw some gang-bangers jump a guy and rob him... they ran after him and shot and killed him. Right on my dog-walking route, in a well-regarded section of town. That brought me back to the reality of "any time, any place."

And just to throw in one more, relevant Connecticut example: do the names Hayes and Komisarjevsky mean anything to you? If not, then Google "Cheshire home invasion" and get caught up on the story of the Petit family and the brutality of people that a Parole Board thought worthy of releasing back into the general population.

I don't kid myself about out-drawing a bad guy holding a gun on me, or heroically rescuing a hostage. I just want options, and for me, those options include having a firearm handy. That's why *I* carry.

In your quest to seek information and opinions, I strongly suggest you read and digest "In the Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob, and also "Thank God I Had A Gun" by Chris Bird. "Gravest Extreme" is dated with respect to the hardware recommendations, but look past that and try to understand the mind-set. I'll further recommend signing up for the MAG-40 course (highly similar to the old LFI-1) which is coming to CT in October (contact Defense Associates for details). That course will help you determine if having lethal force options at hand is really for you... I sincerely doubt you will be neutral about the question afterwards.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    For me, there was a lot of thought, and a lot of reasons that lead me to start carrying.

I am not in the military or police service, but I still would like to contribute to the safety and order of my community and country. If you do not exercise your rights, they will be taken away from you. I could not live with myself if I let something happen to my family that I could have prevented, and that includes loosing me as part of their family. I have the funds, physical ability, mental aquity, mindset, desire and will to be armed, and therefore I feel like it is my duty to do so.

Also, for a specific experience... I was at church with my family on Christmas Eve, I had this nagging feeling that I had left the door to our vehicle unlocked(dog was inside, so the thought was more for her not getting out if some kid saw her and wanted to play than it was thieves). I also thoguth I had heard a car alarm going off, so I waited for a good break in the service and went outside to check on the dog. Everything seemed fine, and I went back inside. After the service I came back out and several cars in the parking lot had been broken into.

This was before I started carrying. I should have done a lot of things differently, but Christmas with the family (in a nice neighborhood) could have ended very badly if any number of circumstances would have changed. That kind of woke me up to how bad things can happen anywhere at any time. And some thugs even look for times when others will be off their guard and focused on things other than what the bad guys might do.

Finally, I was an Eagle Scout, and "Be Prepared" is a motto that I have adopted in many aspects of my life.
    Walk softly ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links