Why do you carry (or not carry)?

This is a discussion on Why do you carry (or not carry)? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this forum is dedicated to concealed carry issues, and I think one of the main issues around this is not only how we ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Why do you carry (or not carry)?

Why do you carry (or not carry)?

I know this forum is dedicated to concealed carry issues, and I think one of the main issues around this is not only how we carry and when we feel entitled to use our weapons, but also why we carry in the first place.

Some of us carry all the time. Some of us probably never carry. Some of us make that decision based on where we are going and what we are planning on doing that day. I am curious what goes on in everyone's mind when they make that decision. Or what made you decide that you will always carry? Or what made you decide that you just don't want to carry at all?

So, when do you carry and why? What kind of trouble do you expect (e.g. hold-up, car jacking, social altercation, etc.)? What kind of area do you live in? Anything you want to tell.

I'm not asking this because I want to challange anyone's logic, and I carry myself in certain situations, but I am interested in these scenarios because I am trying to figure out when a gun would actually come in handy since I've never had to use one or fight for my life (thank God). I carry for the same reasons as most people here, just in case. But ultimately does it really matter? Will any of us be able to identify a threat to our lives in advance and defend ourselves without landing in jail for shooting someone who may have or may not have wanted to hurt us. I think the decision is much easier when you are protecting your home, but when you are carrying the problem I always run up against is that you may not know for sure if it's a life-threatening situation until it's too late. Yes, I will fight for my life, gun or no gun, but if someone's intention is purely to hurt me I doubt they will give me the chance to pull out a gun and aim it at them.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

PS. By the way, I already know the standard "just in case" answers, so I would appreciate specifics. What are you afraid of? Do you live in a bad area?
    Last edited by m287452; April 14th, 2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Clarification

2. Remove Ads

why we carry in the first place.
    Two reasons: Because a cop is to big to keep in my back pocket, and when seconds count law enforcement are minutes away.
    ethereal likes this.
    "Trouble Never Makes An Appointment"

I carry to protect myself and my family in the event the unwanted, unexpected, life changing event should occur. I have chosen to be prepared and train for the unexpected in hopes that I shall never need to use the skills for which I am training to learn. I have made a decision to carry each and every day and to carry everywhere legally allowed. I understand there are many concealed carry permit holders, like yourself, that do not carry a gun every day or everywhere allowed by law. You can elaborate on your reason for not carrying, but I cannot think of one reason that is worth dying over. Do you know what MINDSET is? Without the proper mindset, whether it be dedication to training, carrying your weapon on a daily basis, prepared to take a life in defense of your own, etc...without the proper mindset, you are very likely to think carrying your gun is a burden, or you will have the "it won't happen to me attitude"... What good is a fireman without water??? All of his training, knowledge, and skill will go to waste as the building burns in front of him...Guns are like fire extinguishers. You hope you never need one, but when you do you want the biggest dang fire extinguisher you can pick up. I don't care how safe you believe your home, your neighboorhood, your community, your town might be...you owe it to yourself to be prepared at all times. you can not do something half-heartedly and simply hope it will be sufficient and simply hope that you make the right choice on the particular day, time, and place to carry. I personally choose to be PREPARED and train to achieve that goal. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones. No cliches or famous quotes needed to explain why I carry 100% of the time...just basic human survival at its finest.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Ok, I can see where this is going. So far all I am hearing is "you never know so better be ready." I can appreciate that and I respect that point of view. But I am asking if there are considerations/scenarios/particular concerns that you thought about when making your decision, like what kind of trouble do you expect, do you live in a bad area, are you afraid of dying or losing your money, what?

I have a hard time believing that you guys are in constant fear for you lives. I mean we don't all live in the wild wild west.

But have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by m287452 View Post
    Ok, I can see where this is going. So far all I am hearing is "you never know so better be ready." I can appreciate that and I respect that point of view. But I am asking if there are considerations/scenarios/particular concerns that you thought about when making your decision, like what kind of trouble do you expect, do you live in a bad area, are you afraid of dying or losing your money, what?

I have a hard time believing that you guys are in constant fear for you lives.

But have at it.
    Well, I started carrying because I learned the "hard way" what it's like to need a gun and not have it. I was dead asleep at 4:00 AM when I heard someone pounding on my door. I woke up immediately, ran to the front door and I saw a person trying to break in. I called the local police and no one answered. I started looking for weapons and all I had was a kitchen knife. Thank God the door was very strong and I had a deadbolt, otherwise I wouldn't be here sharing this story. So what happened? One of my neighbors heard the ruckus so he came over with his 12 gauge shotgun and the guy fled the scene. The next week I was at the gun shop looking at weapons and bought a Heckler & Koch USP Compact .40 S&W and applied for a CCL in Costa Rica. Now I have several pistols and a 12 gauge shotgun with more pistols on the way, a .308W rifle and an AR-15. I will not allow myself to be put in that terrible situation again.

Therefore and to answer your question, I carry because I experienced what its like to be defenseless and a sitting duck so I chose to arm myself to protect my life and my loved ones.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

m287452,

I am one of the guys like you. It's all about personal risk management. I get a chuckle when some guy posts his picture with his .45 under his shirt, and a BUG on his ankle, and you can see the dude weighs a good 380 lbs. He's far more likely to die from diabetes, stroke, heart disease, or cancer than by a violent assault. Here he's worried about a magazine failure on his 1911 and needing a backup, but seems fine with the fact his life will likely end early not from some evil bad guy, but because of his fork and spoon.

We have guys here who tote around a gun in their own bathroom and ride motorcycles without helmets, drive without seat belts, and smoke two packs a day, yet feel they are best served by being armed to the teeth against a minuscule and highly unlikely threat.

The fact it could happen is enough for them, I guess. I suppose it's the same people who think the state lottery is a sensible retirement program.

YMMV.
    alachner, TVJ and GoBigOrange like this.

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Well, I started carrying because I learned the "hard way" what it's like to need a gun and not have it. I was dead asleep at 4:00 AM when I heard someone pounding on my door. I woke up immediately, ran to the front door and I saw a person trying to break in. I called the local police and no one answered. I started looking for weapons and all I had was a kitchen knife. Thank God the door was very strong and I had a deadbolt, otherwise I wouldn't be here sharing this story. So what happened? One of my neighbors heard the ruckus so he came over with his 12 gauge shotgun and the guy fled the scene. The next week I was at the gun shop looking at weapons and bought a Heckler & Koch USP Compact .40 S&W and applied for a CCL in Costa Rica. Now I have several pistols and a 12 gauge shotgun with more pistols on the way, a .308W rifle and an AR-15. I will not allow myself to be put in that terrible situation again.

Therefore and to answer your question, I carry because I experienced what its like to be defenseless and a sitting duck so I chose to arm myself to protect my life and my loved ones.
    Ok, thanks for the answer. This is what I am looking for, people's experiences and situations. Much appreciated alachner.

Quote Originally Posted by m287452 View Post
    Ok, thanks for the answer. This is what I am looking for, people's experiences and situations. Much appreciated alachner.
    You are welcome! Just keep in mind that my situation is very different from many here since I live in Costa Rica which is by far more dangerous than any state in the US (except for the ghettos and bad parts of every city in the US which are ferocious). Therefore, in Costa Rica I have a higher risk of a home invasion, carjacking or even kidnapping than most folks here.

Why carry?

Any questions?
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Okay, I have neither the time nor the inclination to read all the responses in this thread. Let me say this: Back in 1995, shortly after I got my license to teach statutory CHL classes in TX, I got a call from a reporter. His jist was this: Why would anyone want to carry a gun? I responded thusly: You write newspaper articles about the rapes, robberies and murders we have around here, right? He said, "Yes, I do." And you do TV newscasts about the rapes, robberies and murders we have in our city and county, right? His answer, "Yes sir, I do." I asked, "Well then, just why in the hell would anyone NOT want to carry a gun?" The interview was then over.

Carry always, everywhere. If you could predict when the assault would come, you could just stay home and avoid it. If you don't get this concept, you are not ready to defend yourself at all.
    First Sgt and bmcgilvray like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff View Post

Any questions?
    You have a very beautiful family and you have provided everyone with the best reason why everyone should have AT LEAST 1 handgun at the house = FAMILY!

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff View Post

Any questions?
    They look like nice girls. Are you sure they are dangerous?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I hear you, good to have a gun at home.

Because I'd much rather have a gun on me and not need it than need a gun and not have it.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    Because I'd much rather have a gun on me and not need it than need a gun and not have it.
    Ok, so what situations do you think about as "I might need a gun in this scenario"? That's all I'm asking.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links