Handicap License Plates.... Do they make you more of a target???

This is a discussion on Handicap License Plates.... Do they make you more of a target??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have to renew my Handicap tag for the first time in May. In Texas you have the choice of getting the blue plastic tags ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Handicap License Plates.... Do they make you more of a target???

VIP Member

Handicap License Plates.... Do they make you more of a target???

I have to renew my Handicap tag for the first time in May. In Texas you have the choice of getting the blue plastic tags that hang on your rear view mirror or getting regular handicap license plates, or both.

Until now I've only had the blue tags, but I've been thinking about getting the handicap plates so I don't have to worry about losing the tags or forgetting to put it on my mirror. This idea also brought up the question about being more of a target to BG's. I currently walk a cane when I'm out in public, but don't walk like I'm using the cane for support. So I started thinking would the plates be a big signal flag

What do you think???... get the blue tags??? get the license plates??? Help me decide...

TX disabled placard-front.jpgTX disabled plate.jpg
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Get the plates - they don't block your view hanging from the rear-view mirror, so you can better see the BG's .

Seriously, whichever works for you best. Which one a dirtbag may key in on is a coin toss.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I've never given the first thought to this but I admit it does make me think now that you mention it. May be an interesting thread! Off hand, I would think the license tag would be less obvious though.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I don't see the tags or placard as any more of an invitation to criminals than them observing that one is old and/or less than good physical condition. Unless your infirmity effects your ability to wield and fire a weapon any such assumption by criminals would be less than prudent.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    The placards are less obvious because you only put them on the mirror once you park. I'm thinking about the plates being spotted while we're out. There has been an increase in driveway robberies around here, where people are being followed home. I know people are oblivious to others these days, but would the plates set off an 'easy prey' alarm to BG's. A parking lot is one thing, but this kinda concerns me...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I have the blue tag, because I sometimes ride in the wife's car, and it's easy to just move the tag from my vehicle to hers. I've never thought that having a handicapped tag makes me more of a target, but that being said, I never relax my SA when out in public.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

I have Disabled Veteran plates and never thought about this particular scenario.

IMO most people aren't observant enough to notice what type of tags you have.

And if someone targeted me because of my plates, it might be the last mistake he ever makes. YMMV

OTOH I don't have any Marine Corps or NRA stickers on my cars or anything that advertises I might own guns. To each his own. I think the convenience of the plates outweigh the remotely possible chance of someone recognizing the plates and actually doing something about it. JMO
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

That is a tough choice. My hang tags for my son expire next month so I will be watching this thread closely. Right now we have the handicap license plates for my mother in law's car. It is very convenient as we don't have to remember to hang anything before we get out. The hang tags we have for my son are convenient in that they are portable and if we should decide to fly off to Disney or some place like that we can just toss one in one of our bags and we are good to go.

As far as them making one more of a target, I don't think so. Given the choice I would expect a BG to go after my mother in law (77 years old, arthritic) getting out of any vehicle than they would me ( mid 40's 6' 04" in the neighborhood of 300 lbs) getting out of her Buick with the handicap plates on it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Not here in California...I have yet to see someone get out of the their car that was remotely handicapped.
    rolltide13 likes this.

Cool

If you are that concerned get the placard so you can remove it at home and driving down the highway. I agree with Guantes comments and the one by a famous firearms instructor, "If you look like food you will be eaten". Make yourself a hard target and do not rely on anyone or anything for your safety but you ! The proper cane and a little knowledge of how to use it make it a great weapon that most people do not think of as a weapon.
    pistola likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Once you pull into the handicapped parking space, does it really matter whether you have a tag or a plate?.
    rolyat63, mkphillips and AZDaven like this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

+1 on varob

I have the plates on my car and wish sometimes i had the hanger. With the mirror version I could still use it if my car was in for service, went out with others, or on vacation in a rental.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLeather View Post
    Not here in California...I have yet to see someone get out of the their car that was remotely handicapped.
    A walking disorder is not the only thing handicap tags are given for. Severe heart problems as well as respiratory problems can also qualify for handicap tags. A person can look physically fit, and still be handicapped.
    AZDaven likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I'd go with the plates. less hassle moving the placard around. As to being targeted because of either one, I doubt it makes a difference to a slime ball.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm off my crutches from my knee surgery now, but also walking with a cane...and will be for a while. Criminals are typically opportunists. If the opportunity is there and they sense a person is vulnerable compared to them, then they may indeed choose that person as a mark. I doubt that they would identify their potential mark based on the plate or hanger, but more on the scenario/opportunity/and perceived vulnerability of the potential person at the time of opportunity. If I were you, I'd get both. That way, you can take the hanger if you use another vehicle for whatever reason but your primary vehicle is good to go.

I typically carry 5 shot revolvers, but since my mobility has been all but squashed and I can't readily get the heck out of dodge I have chosen to carry my XD40sc and two extra mags for more capacity and quicker follow-up shots. Depending on where I'm going, I also carry my snub revolver in my weak side pocket. Its my adaptation to my current circumstance.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links