Ayoob's Tips On How To Handle A Traffic Stop (Video)

This is a discussion on Ayoob's Tips On How To Handle A Traffic Stop (Video) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Jat: I have a hard time believing your statement that thei first words out of the LEO's mouth is about car contents. Maybe when ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ayoob's Tips On How To Handle A Traffic Stop (Video)

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Jat: I have a hard time believing your statement that thei first words out of the LEO's mouth is about car contents. Maybe when he says good morning or good evening or asks for your license or tells you why he stopped you are so mundane and usual that you ignore these comments by the time he gets around to car contents. Unless your car looks like some kind of drug selling (ya know---low rider with spinner wheels) or killing machine or you are just so handsome that he is jealous, I just don't get it. Then again in my 69 years I have only been stopped twice and both ended up with warnings---I call it staying within 5 miles of over the speed limit, if ever, and obeying the rest of the driving laws---you do that and you will never have to hear "have you got anything in that car I should be concerned about?" To answer your question--IMO--yes you are the only one. God Bless and Peace brother. Even if that is the LEO's first question, the theme and tone of the video is most definitely the way to go.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    Am I the only one who gets asked, "do you have any weapons on you or in the car that I should know about?" Even before the request for lic & reg it is the first thing out of the LEO's mouth.
    In Florida, ALL waterborne officers will ask that exact question, being a permit is not required to have a weapon in your boat (or car).
    I also liked the issue that Ayoob brought up about a nervious rookie hearing the "G" word.
    In various employment situations I had in the past, although I was not a LEO myself, I was associated with LEOs from the city cop to federal level. I have asked many officers as to what to do during a stop. Some say if your registration is in your wallet and the gun is in your glove box, or otherwise secured, informing is not necessary.
    If your gun is where you have to reach to get the registration, or on your person, best inform before they see it and maybe improperly react.
    If stopped, even as a passenger, I will inform. I travel from Fl to Va. Some states are must inform, some are not. I encounter LEOs from the small town cop to the state police. The officer wants to go home at night; so do I. I will inform, and give control over the situation to him.
    Funny thing, I have been carrying for 40 years. Never been stopped while carrying.

I keep my reg and ins clipped to my sun visor. It eliminates opening the glove box and any anxiety by LE related to same.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

No. It happens to me when I get stopped. I just politely inform the officer that I don't have a weapon unless I'm between the range and home.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

I agree whole heartedly with what Mas states on the vid, but here in Ohio:

If you are pulled over and you are carrying a concealed handgun:

Before the officer approaches, roll down your window and place your hands in plain view on the steering wheel.

Calmly tell the officer that you have a license to carry a concealed handgun and that you have a handgun with you. Ask if the officer has particular instructions concerning the handgun.

With all respect to Mas and common sense, but I'm not reaching in my pocket for anything until asked by law enforcement. Remember....this is Ohio!

Most probably don't know this, but if you are a HCP owner in TN and they run you tag (standard procedure when pulling over a driver is run tag first, wait for NCIC-Nation Criminal Instant Check system- to return info, to see if you are wanted, car stolen or outstanding warrants, etc). If you are a HCP then that data comes up and the "dispatcher" relays it to the officer via radio (Ex: Subject has a carry permit, Subject is a handgun permit holder, Subject has permit-may be armed) or it just comes up on their laptop screen in the car with your License, photo, driving record/accidents, etc and BIG RED LETTERS stating HCP HOLDER ACTIVE Expire: XX-XX-XXXX. I'd rather that they didn't know this because it sometimes creates problems with young rookies that want to pester someone for lack of having nothing better to do...that being said, 99% of most police officers are good people...most of my friends are police, fire, ems, Rescue, etc. and they just want to do a good job and come home at the end of the day to their families. They already KNOW if you are armed. I would just keep my mouth shut, answer yes sir, no sir and be very polite, but do not volunteer info on any firearms or other weapons on yourself or in the vehicle...unless they ask you to step out and it is strapped on your body somewhere and could freak out the officer. I would then say: "Officer I am a HCP holder, here is my liscense-give them the license-I keep mine in a credit card envelope with my DL license- and I do have a firearm on my person. It is located (wherever). I wanted you to know so that there is no misunderstandings. Sir, what do you need me to do to safely comply with your directions in getting out of the vehicle?" The officer will then ask you to don't touch it, step out and depending on the cop, may just ask you to keep your hands in front of your body away from it and facing him, or ask you to place hands high up on the roof and disarm you (if he has backup there) or ask you to remove the magazine, lay it on roof, take out firearm with two fingers and hand it to him or set it down on the roof and step to the front of the vehicle. They will probably check the serial # to make sure it is not stolen (standard procedure) and when stop is over, most likely ask you to pop the trunk, put it and the ammo in and you can retrieve it on down the road somewhere when you stop and get it out. They just want to make sure they don't get shot. If it's an experience officer, like the THP, they may just say "Thank you for informing me sir, just need to check your DL, registration & insurance information". "Sir everything seems to be in order, please drive safely and have a nice day!" Main thing to remember-keep super calm, keep both your hands on the steering wheel at the 10 & 2 O'Clock positions and await commands. If you are polite-it goes a long way and you might just make a good friend and fellow shooting buddy to go to the range with on weekends.

One problem with the scenario you paint - the license plate does not tell the office who's actually driving. If in fact such information is transmitted to the officer based on the license plate, it could set up a bad situation if the driver doesn't have a permit. "Let me see your permit and gun." "Officer, I don't know what you're talking about, I don't have any gun." "You lyin' to me, boy - outta the car and grab some pavement!" All because son/daughter/neighbor was driving the car.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

That "shouldn't" be a problem. The ccw information relates to the RO. A quick perusal of the drivers lic and the reg would establish that the driver is not the RO.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I Know I’m going to get a lot of people mad, but I have to say it. There are a lot of people that follow Massad Ayoob as if he is the best and the gospel of all things guns and tactical. Personally if feel that there are many more better people to learn from, than a man that thinks because his father shot a perpetrator he is more ingrained to do the same. It seems it like a cult following, and if you watch his training videos he treats women like crap.

Better people, Brian Anthony and Greg M. Hamilton. Both very qualified, and humble, the best part actually been in battle.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Truck: Don't apologize, you have not said anything wrong. You probably could have phrased it a little better but "to each his own" and "that is what makes horse races". We all have our opinion and that is what the forum is all about. It is the exchange of opinions from a large body of forum members literally all around the world that makes the forum interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckinfavis View Post
    I Know Iím going to get a lot of people mad, but I have to say it. There are a lot of people that follow Massad Ayoob as if he is the best and the gospel of all things guns and tactical. Personally if feel that there are many more better people to learn from, than a man that thinks because his father shot a perpetrator he is more ingrained to do the same. It seems it like a cult following, and if you watch his training videos he treats women like crap.

Better people, Brian Anthony and Greg M. Hamilton. Both very qualified, and humble, the best part actually been in battle.
    On this I agree with Ayoob. I do however disagree with him on other things, like reloads, or what to say or not to say after an incident, but that is another issue.

If you disagree with him on this, what do you propose someone do when stopped in an official capacity by a LEO? How do you think they should handle it? I know there are folks on this forum that don't think they need to tell a LEO anything, and claim they will invoke the 5th amendment at a traffic stop. Or folks that say if their state doesn't require they inform the LEO they won't. Thats all well and good for them, but they have explained or tried to explain their reasoning.

To simply say there are better people to listen to doesn't further the discussion. What do these other folks say you should do when asked for ID from a LEO in an offical capacity? Do they or you disagree with that Ayoob says? If so how and why?

My reasoning for teaching what Ayoob suggests in the video, (and no I don't teach it because I heard him say it, I came up with it all by myself), is that in handing the LEO your DL and CHL you are conveying everything you need to convey to the LEO without anything being misinterpreted. When they see both, they will know first that you have a gun on or about your person, and second that you have one legally and have taken the time and effort to abide by the laws to do so.

Just because you disagree with someone on one issue doesn't mean you can't find common ground on others.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links