Traveling questions

This is a discussion on Traveling questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be traveling through Oh,Ky and Tn on my way to pick up my kids in West Memphis Arkansas and traveling with both an ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NC Bullseye

Thread: Traveling questions

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Traveling questions

I will be traveling through Oh,Ky and Tn on my way to pick up my kids in West Memphis Arkansas and traveling with both an Ohio and pa permit.

I normally cc but sometime oc (glock 19) when legal and in the mood. I may stop at a gas station and or restrauant (normally something like cracker barrel or McDonald's) and of course rest stops. Anything else I may need to be aware of in these states like informing and can I carry in a rest area? I know once I cross into Arkansas its cc only. I ALREADY KNOW THE ANSWERS FOR OHIO :-)

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Go to handgunlaw.us and print the info for each state you are going through. They give the allowed areas and the off limits areas. This is a great resource and so often unused. They also tell you when you have to notify a LEO when stopped in each state.
    First Sgt likes this.

I'm familiar with them and actually have it bookmarked in my phone,
    was more interested in real life experience.

Note to self: don't ask ?s when on heavy meds. (had knee surgery the other day)
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Asking about real life experiences is one thing, however taking their opinion/knowledge as gospel is another when it comes to the law of the state(s) you are in/traveling through. NC Bullseye gave excellent advice in his post...RESEARCH IT YOURSELF. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

If you have "permits"... why not just "conceal-carry" and not worry about it?

Check the sites mentioned above and know each state's rules.

Why bring attention to yourself with "open carry" if you have permits... and being that you are from "out of state".... why create issues and hassles when none are needed?
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbumcook View Post
    If you have "permits"... why not just "conceal-carry" and not worry about it?

Check the sites mentioned above and know each state's rules.

Why bring attention to yourself with "open carry" if you have permits... and being that you are from "out of state".... why create issues and hassles when none are needed?
    Open carry might be more comfortable for him. I open carry all the time, for that exact reason. I have yet to be hassled by civilian or LEO.

OP, as the above have said, read up and maybe call the attorney general in those states to see what their opinions are.

When sitting in a car over 600 miles cc can become uncomfortable. Here at home I mix it up between oc and cc and really am not looking to debate either or. I have a comfortable rig and do not want to worry if its covered or not, I know some places (arkansas) I do not have the luxury of choosing. Most stops I make are quick except food and sometimes those turn out to be rather quick.

Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

We are not debating what is comfortable..... my post was why "open carry" versus "conceal carry" if the opening poster has his "conceal-carry" permits?

If he wears an OWB holster, then this set-up is just as comfortable as "open-carry"... and a shirt, jacket or vest conceals it and all is well (as long as your permits are valid in the states you are travling in).

I guess I am always amazed..... this is why I got my CCW permits (Kansas resident and Florida non-resident) so I would be legal in the majority of states within the US no matter where I travel to (if I even travel to them)... as most except one or the other of my permits.

Just like cops looking for out of town license plates when looking for speeders... they know your not going to travel back for your court date... so you are a target.... I am not willing to "open carry" (since I have my conceal-carry permit)... and have the "sheep people" be alarmed or draw attention to me for any reason... if if you or I are doing nothing wrong... it is just not worth it.

All it takes is one phone call from some anti-gunner to the cops and you will be asked questions... even if for 3 - 5 minutes and all goes well.... what a hassle in my book!!!

Oh well... enjoy your trip and check the sites mentioned above/earlier for information, they are good sources.
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbumcook View Post
    We are not debating what is comfortable..... my post was why "open carry" versus "conceal carry" if the opening poster has his "conceal-carry" permits?

If he wears an OWB holster, then this set-up is just as comfortable as "open-carry"... and a shirt, jacket or vest conceals it and all is well (as long as your permits are valid in the states you are travling in).

I guess I am always amazed..... this is why I got my CCW permits (Kansas resident and Florida non-resident) so I would be legal in the majority of states within the US no matter where I travel to (if I even travel to them)... as most except one or the other of my permits.

Just like cops looking for out of town license plates when looking for speeders... they know your not going to travel back for your court date... so you are a target.... I am not willing to "open carry" (since I have my conceal-carry permit)... and have the "sheep people" be alarmed or draw attention to me for any reason... if if you or I are doing nothing wrong... it is just not worth it.

All it takes is one phone call from some anti-gunner to the cops and you will be asked questions... even if for 3 - 5 minutes and all goes well.... what a hassle in my book!!!

Oh well... enjoy your trip and check the sites mentioned above/earlier for information, they are good sources.
    If it's legal, then he has every right to do so, and no one else has any right to question why he does so. If he's willing to put up with any "hassle", then what's the problem? Do you like having people question why you need to carry concealed? I sure don't. It's my business why I do what I do and no one has any right to question it. Same with the OP. It's his decision, so leave it at that.

Besides, sometimes in warmer weather it's hard to conceal a larger gun. My Sigma (same size as the OP's G19), can be fairly difficult to conceal with a t-shirt. It takes a much thicker shirt than I would normally wear, as well as another shirt underneath to keep it from rubbing against me. Not worth it IMO. I'd rather carry it open and maybe get a few funny looks, but then again, I live in MT so most people are used to seeing guns. There is the occasional out-of-stater that might freak out about it, but they're pretty scarce up here. If the cops get called, I do have a copy of the MCA statute stating that I can openly carry a firearm if I feel so inclined. I haven't had any problems yet, but I keep that with me anyway in case one of the local deputies happens to be in a bad mood. Just because you think it's a hassle to deal with a LEO for a few minutes, doesn't mean everyone feels that way. I feel that if we don't exercise our rights for fear of being "hassled", then we don't deserve them.

Links