Concealed carry issue with clothing type

This is a discussion on Concealed carry issue with clothing type within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work in a formal environment and must wear slacks with a tucked in button down shirt. I have a holster undershirt but can't find ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Concealed carry issue with clothing type

I work in a formal environment and must wear slacks with a tucked in button down shirt. I have a holster undershirt but can't find a 5.11 type dress shirt with the quick access panel in a tall size. I am 6'4" and wear a large tall. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have done a lot of searching and can't find anything but I am hoping that there is a nitch out there somewhere

In that situation, if I ever had to draw I'd just grab the left side of the front shirt opening with my left hand and rip the button while drawing with my right hand. When a life or death situation presents itself, forget the shirt.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Pocket carry if you firearm of choice allows that as an option.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

And your third option is angle carry if your firearm allows.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Buy the shirts you want then take them to a tailor/seamstress/alterations shop and have them replace the buttons with snaps, and sewing the buttons on top of the fabric to keep the shirts looking normal.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Just remember that you should train the way you carry. You could go thru a lot of shirts. I second the pocket carry in this situation.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I pocket carry a S&W 642 in a Nemisis pocket holster on the rare occasion that I have to "dress up" and can't conceal my 1911 in a IWB or OWB holster as I normally do. I don't know what you are carrying, but pocket carry is the option I would choose if at all possible.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I'm also 6'4" and dress business casual for work. Pocket carry works very well for me with an LC9.. My preferred option is my G29 carried IWB but I practice the untuck, draw move alot with that. I find the pocket draw is slow because it is hard to keep from getting hung up on pocket fabric one the way out. My draws from the IWB at 4:30 with a slight forward cant seem to be the fastest even with the untuck issue. I also ware alot of western style shirts (have snaps) and square bottom dress shirts that I can leave un-tucked.
    G20 / G29

Administrator
    Have you been to 5.11 Tactical?
    Most of their covert & Tac shirts are cut extra Long.
    Shirts | 5.11 Tactical

Buy one directly from 5.11 & return4refund if it does not fit.

I am 6'3" and weigh 250 and also work in an environment like the OP. I EDC a CZ PCR in a Smartcarry and have for several years. Never been made - never even close. Works for me I recommend highly as a concealed carry method.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Depending on the gun you carry, this one works really well as a tuckable strong side carry.

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

Have you considered ankle carry? I wear my glock 27 in a galco ankle glove from time to time when iwb isn't practical and it is very comfortable. Not the fastest draw but it's better than not carrying at all.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think you have several options:

1) Have a tailor alter your shirts
    2) Rip your shirt's button when you draw your weapon (practice drawing at the range with your button open)
    3) Change your carry type

If you wish to change your carry type, your best options are (in order of best to worst draw):

1) Pocket holster/handgun
    2) Tuckable IWB holster
    3) Smart Carry holster
    4) Ankle holster

I would look into buying a pocket pistol in .380, .38 or 9mm and buying a very good holster. I am 6'2, 215 pounds and I conceal a S&W 442 inside the pocket at work.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Look up Kangaroo holsters. Its like a belly band with a shoulder strap. Worn with a shirt modified as above, the gun should be well concealed.

I also worked under your conditions for several years, and tried both ankle carry and pocket carry. It is my oinion that pocket carry with a holster, is far better just in case you actually did have to get to your weapon. I would not put anything else in the same pocket however. (keys, coins etc.) Good luck with your choice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links