North Carolina Laws and (State of Emergency)

This is a discussion on North Carolina Laws and (State of Emergency) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently live in Fayetteville, NC / Fort Bragg where the tornados hit last saturday. The City of Fayetteville declared a state of emergency due ...

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

I currently live in Fayetteville, NC / Fort Bragg where the tornados hit last saturday. The City of Fayetteville declared a state of emergency due to all the damage in the area. I know in NC when a state of emergency is declared by the Governer all carry right are suspended. I was just wondering if that holds true if the cities Mayor declares a state of emergency for the area.

Isn't that when you need to carry the most?
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

First, the local government has the ability to enact any or all parts of the emergency plan. The restriction of carrying of firearms off your property may or may not be enacted. You will need to read the declaration and see what all it entails.

As to the governor declaring a state of emergency, I'm not going to get into any debates over this and the rights of the governor but if you read the governors declaration of the SOE you will see that she clearly states that this SOE does NOT restrict the lawful carry of firearms off your property. If you go to North Carolina Office of Governor Bev Perdue and read section 7, it spells it out clearly. Some people say she has no authority to do this but the AG has agreed that it's valid so make your choices from that.

Looks like it's just a curfew for the city/county. We need to get rid of this regardless.

The City of Fayetteville, NC - Official Website
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I love Kansas. Not an issue here, in fact the laws protect gun owners in an emergency.

Seems No Carolina declares emergencies quite frequently, in order to get Fedl funds of course. What are they afraid of ???
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Seems No Carolina declares emergencies quite frequently, in order to get Fedl funds of course. What are they afraid of ???
    We have a winner! Have you seen the letter behind out Governors name? In all honesty, this one probably needed it. The east got tore up. But the snows, not so much.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links