Concealed carry in airport question

This is a discussion on Concealed carry in airport question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Oregon, it is legal until the "secure" area. The Port of Portland had originally posted PDX in its entirety as "gun-free", but was sued ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Concealed carry in airport question

Distinguished Member
    In Oregon, it is legal until the "secure" area.

The Port of Portland had originally posted PDX in its entirety as "gun-free", but was sued and lost. Now carry is permitted with a valid CHL.

2. Remove Ads

My wife was relieved of her tiny knife when she emptied her pockets and purse into one of those inspection trays TSA uses....I guess it represented a threat of some kind........and as surmised it was at Bangor Muni. Thanks for all the reponses...I reckon that a phone call is in order when doubt exists.

Dave Gross

Quote Originally Posted by d gross View Post
    My wife was relieved of her tiny knife when she emptied her pockets and purse into one of those inspection trays TSA uses....I guess it represented a threat of some kind........and as surmised it was at Bangor Muni. Thanks for all the reponses...I reckon that a phone call is in order when doubt exists.

Dave Gross
    You should have expected that man. You can't even take a pair of nail clippers on board what makes you think you can bring a small pocket knife?

Quote Originally Posted by 40khammer View Post
    You can't even take a pair of nail clippers on board what makes you think you can bring a small pocket knife?
    I can't verify this, but I was told about an FBI agent going through TSA security. He shows his FBI credentials, and declares his weapon. He is allowed to keep the firearm, but the bottle of water he was also carrying was confiscated. (Bottled water not allowed through security)
    This demonstrates the futility of government checkpoints. They are not allowed to think.

I have laughed with pilots who are searched while in security. He says, "I'm flying the plane! I could crash it. Yet you are worried I might have nail clippers in my pocket?"

Quote Originally Posted by d gross View Post

Dave Gross

so she went thru and you stayed behind? that's why we say our good byes before the screening or pick up at baggage claim...so as not to have to deal with the security points.

Bangor International?

Bangor International Airport (BGR) is owned and operated by the City of Bangor.
    Preemption covers you in the non secure areas. They can not place GB signs.
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; April 21st, 2011 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    As far as I know, you can legally carry up to the security checkpoint but not beyond. I've done it before. But I'm no lawyer.
    This.
    As long as there are no gun buster signs on the terminal doors you can carry there. I suppose you could TRY to carry past the secuirity checkpoint, but you wouldn't make it, and it would be illegal.

I like Texas 30-06 sign laws. It is almost universal that this sign is required to keep you from carrying. Problem is this is not iron clad and there in lies the problem. They have added a proviso that hospitals, churches and a few others carrying is banned but they now say it is OK unless the 30-06 signage is in place. I just wish they would make it the ONLY thing that keeps you from carrying. Oh the FED rules still apply fed property and schools etc. I wonder if the state could override the fed laws?

I know in Texas you can carry anywhere in the airport except the "Secured areas." Meaning not beyond the security checkpoint.
    Same as AZ. Bottom line - State laws prevail, outside of the secured area.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

At the Indianapolis airport every exterior door is labeled "No Weapons - violators will be prosecuted" So I did a little research and found that violators will be "prosecuted" by the Airport Authority (not a govt. entity) for violation of an Airport Authority Ordinance. Here's the good part, this airport is operated by a private corporation (not even an American company) So exactly when did foreign private corporations become authorized to enact "ordinances" and "prosecute" citizens licensed by the State they reside in for exercising a right the State licensed them to do? Bear in mind, this is not a law under any state, city, or county codes that I can find. No one who works for the airport is willing to discuss this situation. The city cops who are assigned to the airport have told me there is no law that forbids legally licensed CCW in the non-sterile areas of the airport. As someone else pointed out, how are you supposed to walk up to the counter and "declare" a firearm legally for transport if you are not permitted to enter the building? The Airport Authority also believes they can fine you up to $100 for smoking out in a parking lot a mile away from the building. Again, no law, just an airport Authority ordinance.

According to handgunlaw.us there is no specific law in Maine concerning carry in airports.

I know in Texas you can carry anywhere in the airport except the "Secured areas." Meaning not beyond the security checkpoint.
    The same with Louisiana, but Texas is very anal about printing. Boy, I've gotten in some hot water over that.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links