Things that made me go, Humm. - Page 2

Things that made me go, Humm.

This is a discussion on Things that made me go, Humm. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Still seems odd to be asking that question of people just entering the outside door to get forms....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Things that made me go, Humm.

Still seems odd to be asking that question of people just entering the outside door to get forms.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

If you find yourself being singled out it's probably because you dress or behave in an overly suspicious way.

I find myself being singled out by TSA every time I wake up early and forego the usual morning shower and put on my comfy black sweater (ironically it's from banana republic, but somehow wearing a black shirt and having messy hair invariably results in me being singled out and asked lots of questions).
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Quote Originally Posted by 8plus1 View Post
    when he asked if you had any weapons, you should have said "yeah, my fists"
    Bad idea!
    In this day of ultra liberal political correctness and "zero tolerance" policies, that would have played out very unacceptably.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I had lots of odd jobs in my three years of private security but I can't imagine having or wanting to ask everyone who walks through the door if they have any weapons. Seems really weird to me. And the "get out" comment is just rude. My guess is that he was a certifiable moron or nut job.

Yes he is private security but on a government contract therefore he is representing the government. He had NO reason to ask about weapons, if you were a drug user, or how many people you're planning on killing today.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Hmm...I see that your Location in Florida too.

OP this made me think of two situations that I had in the past.

1. Back in the 90's (when I was a young lad) we (the family) had a '93 Charcoal Black Nissan Sentra. Black tint and Florida Tag. (On top of that we're Black) On our way to NC (while driving through the backroads of NC) early in AM hours, we saw a police chopper, heard sirens, and were told/directed to immediately pull over. After stopping, I remember them telling us the get out of the car. Once we got out, we saw a ton of police cars, unmarked police cars/undercover cops, K9's etc. and the police chopper shining on us and the car. They asked us questions and began searching the car. To make a long story short, they saw a Black car, Black tint, with Florida tag and assumed it was drug car. I remember them throwing our clothes and stuff on the ground, messing stuff up, thirsting to find drugs. They found nothing and they all left with their tail between their legs looking like complete idiots. Ha, I remember my mom cussing them out for destroying our stuff, especially when they found nothing. No offense to the LEOs, but most LEOs will see a "different" looking car with an out of state Florida tag (or any tag) have their guard's up and assume it's a BG or drug car.

2. Sum years back, living in Florida (a third time) we were pulled over (after leaving my HS) while heading home. While living in this city for over 4 years, we were stopped in our Tacoma. The LEO pulled us over and said our tint was too dark. "Your tint is too dark and I can't/couldn't tell if you were a man or a woman. You're driving a vehicle with illegal equipment and it's a safety hazard to both you and fellow drivers". Too sum that up, he gave us a lecture, a fat ($355.20) ticket and went on his way. Had to pay ticket, get tint removed, etc. Was the tint dark? Yes. Were the windows darker than the average "dark" tint? No. Could you clearly see the gender of the driver (if that even matters)? Yes. My parents got a another truck with tint even darker than that, and haven't had any problems in the years that they had it. Let me clear things up, the tint wasn't even nowhere near the tint of limousines. Waste of money getting the tint, waste of money getting the tint removed, waste of money on a ticket. Good $600+ gone down the drain.

To the people who say once you get a license you agree to this or that, I agree. But that doesn't mean LEOs should act as tyrants. As of late, there have been cases in Florida with LEOs abusing their power.

To the OP, I agree with what you're saying, and understand where you're coming from. Unless people have it happen to them, they can say whatever seems right to say. Law-abiding citizens shouldn't have to feel like a bull's-eye's glued on their chest.

I agree with the OP. Just because the courts say that checkpoints are legal, it doesn't mean it should be. I hold no ill feeling to a LEO who is just doing his job. I blame the judges that interpret the law this way. If I hit a roadblock I am pleasent and comply but IMO it violates my 4th ammendment right. It also throws "innocent until proven guilty", even though that is not a right or law, out the window. Now I am stopped and asked to PROVE my innocence instead. It makes me feel as if it is guilty until proven innocent and that is a dangerous road. The OP complied and was not a jerk and everything went smooth he just didn't agree with the law and I have to agree with him. That said we live in this great counrty and don't always agree with all its laws but I play by the rules so.......
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

What does any of this have to do with concealed carry issues and discussions ?
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I'm weak on DUI laws. Kansas is trying to make refusing to blow a crime, it is already an automatic one year suspended DL.

If I refuse to supply evidence without a warrant, or legal representation, I am a criminal? But, you can't profile? Papers please.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    What's the country becoming? A police state?
    Yes.
    MadMac and oneshot like this.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    #1. I would have simply said "No", and been on my way. The guard was doing his job. Simply doing what he gets paid to do is not harassment. He may be a contract security guard, but in those circumstances they work under the authority of the client. In your case, the federal government. Federal offices have very strict regulations regarding weapons.

#2. Numerous court rulings have said that checkpoints do not require probable cause. Public road, public place, no Constitutional right to drive an automobile, etc.

If you go through life looking for a fight, I'm sure you will find one.
    +1

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    "2. Sum years back, living in Florida (a third time) we were pulled over (after leaving my HS) while heading home. While living in this city for over 4 years, we were stopped in our Tacoma. The LEO pulled us over and said our tint was too dark. "Your tint is too dark and I can't/couldn't tell if you were a man or a woman. You're driving a vehicle with illegal equipment and it's a safety hazard to both you and fellow drivers". Too sum that up, he gave us a lecture, a fat ($355.20) ticket and went on his way. Had to pay ticket, get tint removed, etc. Was the tint dark? Yes. Were the windows darker than the average "dark" tint? No. Could you clearly see the gender of the driver (if that even matters)? Yes. My parents got a another truck with tint even darker than that, and haven't had any problems in the years that they had it. Let me clear things up, the tint wasn't even nowhere near the tint of limousines. Waste of money getting the tint, waste of money getting the tint removed, waste of money on a ticket. Good $600+ gone down the drain."

Just because the LEOs don't ticket everyone with dark tint doesn't make your tint legal. I wish this law was more rigidly enforced as I like to be able to see through your vehicle when you park next to me and I need to back out!

Do you have anything that can be used as a weapon? Certainly, my car keys, the pen in my pocket, my comb,the buckle on my belt, etc.
    I work in a state DOT building and cannot carry into the building--but the parking lot is okay to have a firearm (or keys, comb, pen).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Administrator
    This thread is straying pretty far away from the original post. Think we could possibly veer it somewhat back on topic?

I had to go to a private seminar at the Social Security Administration earlier this week. I was invited there to complete a program where I can view my clients medical records online in Social Security cases. I am a lawyer. Anyway I was not armed. I walk in the SSA office to which I had been invited in suit and tie. There is a guard there. He makes me stand there and wands me all over my body then makes me pull up each of my pants legs!

It is because it is a U.S. Govt. Office. I have been seeing this ever since Sept 11th. in every Federal office I go to. And yes some of these guys are total Nazis. Don't it make you feel safe, though?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I understand your frustration at the way our society is changing but getting frustrated in a specific situation with an individual does little good but can in fact lead to an escalation. I believe it excessive politeness, truth, and blending in, staying out of confrontation.

As a fellow carrier the other poster was right, you should absolutely know the rules for any building you go into even if you are unarmed and if you are unarmed you can simply say no with a puzzled look. Maybe the guy is being a jerk but maybe a thread was called into someone who works there and you look somewhat similar to the description of the person.

You never know what's in a guys mind or heart so no sense getting into it. And if a situation every does escalate and you have to explain your side to others then it's great to be able to say how polite, truthful and coorperative you were. No skin off your nose for doing to and it can help you. If you can imagine how your scenario could have escalated then you need to read more or watch more TV. Crazy stuff happens and people never would have believed it would have happened to them.

But I do agree with you about the direction our society is heading.

Gideon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links