Things that made me go, Humm. - Page 3

Things that made me go, Humm.

This is a discussion on Things that made me go, Humm. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I could be wrong, but doesn't the government consider the parking lot and even the property the building sits on, Gov. property? If that's the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Things that made me go, Humm.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I could be wrong, but doesn't the government consider the parking lot and even the property the building sits on, Gov. property? If that's the case, the guard outside is well within the scope of his job asking if you have any weapons. If you lie and answer no then have to go through a pat down, you could be facing a lot of unintended expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by nick060200 View Post
    i actually appreciate the road blocks. i don't want drunks behind the wheel. too many sad stories about drunks killing people.
    10 cops sitting at a roadblock could be on patrol looking for erratic drivers. Fishermen use a wide net not a funnel to catch fish.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Just because the LEOs don't ticket everyone with dark tint doesn't make your tint legal.
    Apparently you didn't thoroughly read my message. I said that the tent was legal. I've lived in Florida over half of my life in 4 different cities in different timespans. I know the laws in Florida more than the average Joe. I said that the tent was legal. I know the VLT % of legal tint. You can't possible look at a car and give an accurate percentage of how much light is being reflected*
    or refracted.

I wish this law was more rigidly enforced as I like to be able to see through your vehicle when you park next to me and I need to back out!
    What does someone's window tint have to do with your ability to back out? You don't need to see inside of a car to back out. You can see if their car is on as you walk to your car, or you'll see their car start before you back out.

Do you have anything that can be used as a weapon? Certainly, my car keys, the pen in my pocket, my comb,the buckle on my belt, etc.
    I work in a state DOT building and cannot carry into the building--but the parking lot is okay to have a firearm (or keys, comb, pen).
    This has nothing to do with what I said. My scenarios were when a car was is *motion not parked. With your viewpoints you might as well ban everything*on this earth and dub it as a "weapon" because*anything can be used as a weapon.

To the people saying this thread is getting off topic. My point was this. In my situation(s) and in the OP's situation(s) we don't like being targeted or called out by LEOs or security without legitimate reasons. *
    I believe in Democracy but I'm not a Democrat
    I believe in Liberty but I'm not a Liberal
    I believe in Guns but I don't believe in Gun Violence

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Guard doing whatever he was told to do. Who cares. Do you have any weapons? Ans. NO. Guard, "Next"
    You can't bring guns and other stuff into Federal bldgs--- you should have been aware of that. It is posted somewhere.
    You completely missed my point.
    I didn't have any weapons.
    The building is posted.
    The guard has no right to take it beyond that point.
    If he sees something suspicious, then he can act.
    It doesn't matter what the guard was "told" to do. He can only act within the law.
    What if he was told to frisk everyone? Would that make it legal? "Sir, if you want a form, place you hands on the wall and spread your legs." NO

i actually appreciate the road blocks. i don't want drunks behind the wheel. too many sad stories about drunks killing people.
    Let's say a cop knocks on your door. "Sir, we've had reports of drug activity in this neighborhood. I'd like to look around inside your home. If you have nothing to hide, you won't mind, right?"
    Would you welcome him in? After all you're all for keeping drunks off the road.
    Aren't you also for keeping drugs out of the hands of children?
    What ever happened to "probable cause"?

VIP Member

^^^^Unfortunately This is the ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Precursor to more intrusive measures and tactics which will lead us down the garden path toward a more powerful and unforgiving MASTER {the Federal Government}.

Think of the smoking ban.
    If they would have instituted the draconian laws pertaining to smoking, right away, people would've not had any of it.
    But after demonizing it for 30 years, and incrementally passing laws , now someone who owns their own restaurant/bowling alley, or virtually any establishment is not allowed to let their own patrons smoke , if they so desire.

Pee on tolerance.
    Whatever happened to, "where YOUR rights end, MINE begin"

If you don't like smoking or any other thing that you find offensive for that matter, go find someplace that doesn't allow it, and if you can't, Start your own business, and not allow it yourself.

[QUOTE=Hopyard;1915990]Guard doing whatever he was told to do. Who cares. Do you have any weapons? Ans. NO. Guard, "Next"

As for the roadblock--- notwithstanding what the courts have said, I hate these and do believe them to be fundamentally wrong. Constitutional in the sense that they have some blessing from the court, but certainly not in the spirit of 4A. Cooperate and go on your way.

See comment by participant who wrote that if you go through life looking for trouble you'll find it.

ANd yes, we are becoming a police state, thanks to the failed war on drugs, the excessive problem with unlawful aliens and the inevitable backlash to that problem, and thanks to UBL and a few others. This is why I so resent the common proposals I see on the net for "papers please" "drug tests" "random stops" "airport searches" and many other things. Glad I'm old and won't be around to see what will happens to the young people. You don't protect freedom by restricting it, and that includes restricting access to medicines and drugs (so there).[/QUOTE]

^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^

To virtually everything Hopyard said!

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The way freedom works is that he is free to ask you any question he feels like asking you. You are free to, for the most part, ignore him.

As to the checkpoint, the courts have ruled on this one already. They CAN stop you.
    ^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^

And as I have nothing to hide, through my locked doors, window cracked 1-2 inches he will get all the "PAPERS" he will need, if asked.

"Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is doing it. Right is right, even if nobody is doing it."
    St. Augustine
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I went to our Federal Building to get a tax book. I refuse to do them on line. The older gentleman who met me at the door did not allow me entrance beyond three feet. He asked me what I wanted then provided to me the booklet and form. I was not asked if I had a weapon. I guess here they feel the sign saying "No Firearms Allowed" works. Lucky me.

Hmm we can get most common tax forums from the post office (24 hours, you can go when NO one is there!) and at the library (county property not Fed, and NOT posted!) PLUS you can print them from the internet if you need something obscure. I can't think of any reason I'd go to the IRS building unless they made me.

As for the roadblocks, I have found that when I quit crossing county lines I quit having to go through them. I really don't agree with them either, but generally I've found that if you're not drunk and polite with the officers they'll get you out of there fast enough. We USED to have one local officer that liked to pull people over after dark for BS reasons just to check people's ID and such. I HATED her, and REALLY hated delivering pizza to her. She disappeared (doesn't even order pizza anymore) and I haven't been pulled over since. Coincidence? I don't think so. Personally, I think she got busted for check fraud, but I don't know for sure.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

A month after 911, I went to the local social security office to obtain a new card (I washed my old one). I was met at the door by a very polite guard, who asked me if I was armed? Being in Illinois at the time, there was no way I could be legally armed and I told him as much. He proceeded to pat me down, with my permission. The staff and guard were very appologetic for this course of action. I understood, given the current atmosphere in the world and went on my way. As I see it, there are 2 ways this guard could have performed his duty. One would have been to order me against the wall and act like a heathen, or the manner I experienced which was with repect and honor. I will cooperate and lot more with someone who knows I have rights and respects me as he would have me towards him.

A friend of mine is married to a wack job who failed police and fireman personality profile tests. Guess who did hire him? Homeland Security...go figure.
    db
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by db4usa View Post
    I went to the local social security office to obtain a new card . I was met at the door by a very polite guard, who asked me if I was armed? He proceeded to pat me down, with my permission. The staff and guard were very appologetic for this course of action. I understood, given the current atmosphere in the world and went on my way.
    "He who trades liberty for security deserves neither and will lose both." Thomas Jefferson.

"2. Sum years back, living in Florida (a third time) we were pulled over (after leaving my HS) while heading home. While living in this city for over 4 years, we were stopped in our Tacoma. The LEO pulled us over and said our tint was too dark. "Your tint is too dark and I can't/couldn't tell if you were a man or a woman. You're driving a vehicle with illegal equipment and it's a safety hazard to both you and fellow drivers". Too sum that up, he gave us a lecture, a fat ($355.20) ticket and went on his way. Had to pay ticket, get tint removed, etc. Was the tint dark? Yes. Were the windows darker than the average "dark" tint? No. Could you clearly see the gender of the driver (if that even matters)? Yes. My parents got a another truck with tint even darker than that, and haven't had any problems in the years that they had it. Let me clear things up, the tint wasn't even nowhere near the tint of limousines. Waste of money getting the tint, waste of money getting the tint removed, waste of money on a ticket. Good $600+ gone down the drain."

Just because the LEOs don't ticket everyone with dark tint doesn't make your tint legal. I wish this law was more rigidly enforced as I like to be able to see through your vehicle when you park next to me and I need to back out!

Do you have anything that can be used as a weapon? Certainly, my car keys, the pen in my pocket, my comb,the buckle on my belt, etc.
    I work in a state DOT building and cannot carry into the building--but the parking lot is okay to have a firearm (or keys, comb, pen)
    That was my thought. In a defensive situation, you can hopefully come up with a weapon if "unarmed".
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

As far as Federal buildings, I have witnessed some real different situations. I was in DC on business at the WNY and we went next door to eat at the DOT cafe. The older guy with me have a pocket knife (~3 in or so) and we went up to the meatl detector and he empties ou his pockests puts the knife in the little tray we go through the metal detector and they hand his knife back to him on the other side. He said knifes are no big deal and they are only looking for guns.

I once was leaving an Air Force facility and had a hunting knife on my belt (Case XX Shark's Tooth) and the SP said "Sir may I see you knife" and thought Oh he must like the looks of it. Next thing I know he's measuring it. He hands it back to me and said "have a nice day". It was a lock blade at about 3.5 inches. The particular facility I heard goes by state law on knives.

Once when I was about 19 years old and straight out of the hills of Eastern Kentucky I was driving into Canada. The CA border guard ask me if I had any weapons, I gave him a puzzled look and ask him what kinds. He rattled off handguns, gernades, and few other things. I said none of those and he said "have a nice day" and let me into CA. I may have had a knife. I almost always do.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links