Why you have to carry EVERY day: My incident tonight.

This is a discussion on Why you have to carry EVERY day: My incident tonight. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; well tonight i was going to my lab for a class im taking at the community college, i get there to find out the lab ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Why you have to carry EVERY day: My incident tonight.

Exclamation Why you have to carry EVERY day: My incident tonight.

well tonight i was going to my lab for a class im taking at the community college, i get there to find out the lab had been cancelled so i hopped back in my truck and began my drive home.

The area my school is in is not exactly the best area of town. literally the wrong side of the tracks. it is a low income area with a couple projects and every business and most house windows have bars on them.

As always when i go out there at night i was carrying my G23 and a reload in a crossbreed quiktuck
    And so as im driving along the back end gets loose and what do you know i have a serious flat, not a leak a flat. there is a 1x3" piece of metal sticking out of my tire. so i slow down and drive closer to the main road in the area where it is a bit more lighted b/c i wasnt about to stop in the pitch black where i was

so i end up getting my tire changed and making it back home unscathed but in the 30 min of so i was stopped i had 5 different individuals approach me while laying/sitting on the ground. any one of them could have easily taken advantage of my situation. and the best part about it? not a single leo drove by. not 5 min down the road the area is crawling with cops and im by myself on the wrong side of town at 9 o clock at night. had i not been carrying i probably would have been pretty damn uneasy the entire time, if not called the police to come hang out while i changed the tire. but the feeling of security i have when im armed put my nerves at ease

i learned two things:
    1. ALWAYS carry (flat tire theory as i will now call it)
    2. Never count on an leo to be there to protect you. (no malice intended, you guys cant be everywhere)
    Last edited by rolltide13; April 20th, 2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: clarity

2. Remove Ads

Glad nothing happened and that you were armed just in case. Serves a good reminder to ALWAYS carry. Thanks for the reminder.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    I'm glad everything worked out for you.

Just curious, how did you manage your weapon regarding the school campus?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltide13 View Post
    i learned two things:
    1. ALWAYS carry (flat tire theory as i will now call it)
    2. Never count on an leo to be there to protect you. (no malice intended, you guys cant be everywhere)
    You also knew:
    3. Have sufficient air in your spare tire.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post

Not sure about Alabama but I believe in Florida you can keep your gun secured in your car and teh law states thats your car is your property and you can keep a gun in there secured and teh right cant be taken by and employer or whatever. However it has to be secured when you drive onto campus you cant park then take your gun off and put it in teh glove box

Glad everything worked out and you were prepared.

You could have summoned a cop via cell phone (if you had one) and asked them to come and keep watch.
    I know that they would do so around my town.

Alabama law allows a gun in the car as long as it stays there if I recall from my days living in mobile. In fact, Alabama law is written in such a way that technically carrying a gun on school campus is legal. The law says no one shall carry a gun onto a school campus with ill intent. (paraphrasing of course) so as long as you have no ill intent, you are legal. There was a father who was arrested for carrying his gun on him on the campus of an Elementary School in Mobile county back in the 90's and his case was dropped or he was found not guilty because of this technicality. he argued he was just there to pick up his son, he had no ill intent.

That was over a decade ago, so the laws could surely have been changed by now, but that was an interesting case.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    how does one change a tire while lying on the ground?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Thanks OP, it gives us another scenario to think about.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    how does one change a tire while lying on the ground?
    The spare is under the truck. You have to crawl under the truck to retrieve the full sized spare.

ETA: To OP, I'm glad you're OK and all ended well....but as a Penn State fan I would have kinda liked to hear a happier ending....sorta like: Uncle Nick stopped and tried to mug you. You had to shoot him and forever ruined Alabama's chances of thumping my Nittany Lions again.
    rolltide13 likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    The reason I keep aaa, I will sit in my secure car and let them do the work.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

cj
    Well, if I could tell when I'd need to be carrying...I just wouldn't go there in the first place! Glad yours turned out ok. I had a friend who I believe was in the same area a while back, and I'm betting it hasn't gotten any better in the intervening years.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post

Alabama code does not restrict the carrying of a concealed weapon on post secondary institutions. Legally i am able to carry because there is no law prohibiting it. but the catch is that its against school policy and i could be expelled if i get made. i spoke with an leo on one of my first days there and he was a huge pro-carry guy and he reminded me that concealed is concealed.

i normally dont carry to the main campus bc there are multiple local leos there at all times but whenever i am at the satellite campus i am armed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    eta: To op, i'm glad you're ok and all ended well....but as a penn state fan i would have kinda liked to hear a happier ending....sorta like: Uncle nick stopped and tried to mug you. You had to shoot him and forever ruined alabama's chances of thumping my nittany lions again.

Roll Tide!!!!
    jp3276 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links