Rotating Mags

This is a discussion on Rotating Mags within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I was wondering how often everyone changes their mags out. At my CCDW training I asked the instructor what he did and he ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Rotating Mags

Rotating Mags

Hey all, I was wondering how often everyone changes their mags out. At my CCDW training I asked the instructor what he did and he said just switch mags every 30 days. I'm guessing he does this to save the springs in his mags.

Can you all please let me know what steps you take to insure your equipment stays at its strongest?

2. Remove Ads

I don't rotate my mags. metal fatigue happens with the repeated bending of metal, or in a springs case, the repeated compressing and relaxing of the spring.

Plus, I have never had a spring take a "set" or develop a memory in any of my mags that stayed loaded for an extended period of time so I don't really worry about it. And Mags are cheap, if I find one that starts to get weak, if that ever happens, I'll buy a new one or a new spring for it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I don't load a magazine fully unless I'm at the range. My 12 rd mag (which stays in my carry weapon) has 1 in the chamber, and 11 in the mag. My 10 rd mag usually only has 9 in it. (I might be paranoid about it, but, it's a $40 magazine. And, unfortunately, with the money I make I can't afford to be spending extra money on replacing mags. I also unload the magazines for about 12 hours every 30 days. Not to mention the breaking-down and cleaning powder off of and oiling them after the range.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

What TNMike said is completly true. You weaken the metal by constsnt on and off pressure.
    Semper fi
    TN_Mike, Freedom Doc and Simms65 like this.

No, but I have carry mags and range mags and they are not mixed.
    TN_Mike and RoadRunner71 like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

For the life of me, I can't understand why this old wive's tale about "rotating the magazines" and "unload them to prevent spring fatigue" has a half life longer than uranium.
    Freedom Doc and TN_Mike like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I personally have mags dedicated strictly for carry and NOT for training. I've run each of them several times to make sure they function correctly and keep them STRICTLY for carry. I have mags that are strictly for training. They get dropped, filled to capacity, in the mud, in the dirt, in the dust, on concrete, on gravel, cleaned on occassion, and back in the training routine. That's how I rotate my mags... I don't worry about leaving them loaded. IMO it doesn't hurt them, at least not that I have observed...As for oiling mags, I believe no oiling is necessary...Clean them yes, oil them no. JMO
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Probably because once a something false is passed around as gospel, it's hard to kill. Secondly I thinks it's natural for people to worry about spring set, since we know most failures in firearms are magazine related.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

gman, you're right. I live in a technical world and what is perfectly obvious to me and the people I deal with professionally on a daily basis may just not be common knowledge to folks outside that narrow sphere. Long day, tough week, my patience was in short supply. Always good to have the reins pulled in on occasion.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I number my mags and pay attention to any failures at the range. If I find that a certain mag is having more than it's share of failures I'll re-spring it or trash it.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

OK so I understand that its not so important to rotate mags now. But in reading the replies I have another question.

Is it a good idea not to load the mags all the way to full capacity?

On another note I am going to use First Sgt. as a good example as to how I am going to use my mags wisely. When I buy new mags I will obviously test them with a couple hundred rounds then turn them into strictly carry mags. The magazines that I "retire" will be my beat up mags that I can drop and not have to worry about them failing on me in a life or death situation.

Thanks to all who are being patient with me on the forums. I am new to all of this and I read this site and learn something new every single day.

i dont think it matters, although I would not carry around a half empty mag. I think the way you look at it is this. The more the spring moves the shorter life it will have.
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

I have never had a problem with max loaded mags on my Berettas
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Once again I agree with the Gloveman. Also agree with TN_Mike--it is all about compression/decompression of spring. Can see a possible reason to just "clean" the mag if you carry it around 24/7 and it ends up with miscellaneous lint etal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links