I didn't know about Costco until today... - Page 2

I didn't know about Costco until today...

This is a discussion on I didn't know about Costco until today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by roalho I'm just surprised that some other Idahoan complained about the gun! Must have been one of those left coast immigrants or ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: I didn't know about Costco until today...

Quote Originally Posted by roalho View Post
    I'm just surprised that some other Idahoan complained about the gun! Must have been one of those left coast immigrants or something.

This is becoming more and more of a problem here in North Idaho. And Idaho is OC or CC your choice, and no offense to any of the posters who think that an accidental flash never happens but sorry to burst the bubble but they do. Probably to you without even knowing it if you OWB carry.

I know of over 500 retired LE who LEOSA qualify annually where I do, many of them from CA, who will learn of this policy and then can make their own decisions on shopping there.
    Woman With A Gun

Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession. - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by roalho View Post
    I'm just surprised that some other Idahoan complained about the gun! Must have been one of those left coast immigrants or something.
    California import, maybe?

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Quote Originally Posted by nick060200 View Post
    That story sounds more like it was the cops fault not costco.
    When the investigation began, all of Costco's security video footage for that day mysteriously vanished. Some found this coincidence troubling.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankWSweet View Post
    When the investigation began, all of Costco's security video footage for that day mysteriously vanished. Some found this coincidence troubling.
    Wow thats messed up Luckily I shop at Sams club. Never been to costco.

Today is the first I've heard about this Erik Scott incident. Oddly, I'm having trouble finding a definitive description of the event.
    The whole thing is crazy. I feel horrible for his family.

mel
    I agree with Merlin82plus, F-Costco. I personally will not venture in to a big box store unless it is absolutely necessary. Not going to get on a , but I like to support my local businesses.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    That is pretty stupid. Losing 'loyal' customers over something that stupid. In SC, you have to have a sign of a specified size/style for it to be legal, posted at every entrance. I don't think you can be kicked out just for 'being made.'
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I am surprised that this is a company wide policy. I used to open carry in the Costco on Germantown Parkway in Memphis before we moved. I open carried in that store probably a hundred times. No one ever said a word other than to compliment me on my carry choice.

But, i searched the Costco website and lo and behold, look what i found. Below is what I found, copied and pasted directly with no editing at all:

Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.
    To me, what that says is, here is our policy and if you don't like it, we don't care. We don't need you as a member.

So, it looks like we will be canceling our membership this weekend and getting our money back.
    oneshot and JAT40 like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    There have been a few threads here about costco’s anti-gun policy, they are vehemently anti-gun and could care less about the 2A. With that in mind I will spend my money at Sam’s Club instead.
    DITTO +1+1+1

Sam's gets my bulk business, will never set foot in a Costco!
    brylow likes this.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

The Scott family took out billboard ads seeking copies of the "lost" Costco security tapes...

Erik Scott family buys 4 billboard ads seeking Costco video - Thursday, Oct. 28, 2010 | 12:06 p.m. - Las Vegas Sun

The officers involved said he pulled a weapon... but after he was down, they discovered his licensed handgun still secured in its holster. Now they have been honored by the National Association of Police Organizations as heroes !

Las Vegas officers honored for 'heroic' Costco shooting - News - ReviewJournal.com

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    So, it looks like we will be canceling our membership this weekend and getting our money back.
    If there was a Costco by me, I'd get a membership just so I could cancel it and let them know why. It's one thing to stop patronizing a business, but to actually let them know the reason why, and having them open their wallet, that packs a little more clout. IMO.
    msgt/ret likes this.

This is a crappy situation, but to conceal a weapon means to make sure not everyone in the store knows its there.

Quote Originally Posted by evolve View Post
    This is a crappy situation, but to conceal a weapon means to make sure not everyone in the store knows its there.
    While I agree with you, concealed carry should be done so that no one knows it's there, why would you still want to give your hard earned money to any company, state, person or organization that wants to deny you your constitutional rights?
    oneshot likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Have never had a costco membership.
    Looks as though i'll never have to wory about it

Had a sams club card for a couple years, but Kroger, Meijer is the usual mowadays.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I am surprised that this is a company wide policy. I used to open carry in the Costco on Germantown Parkway in Memphis before we moved. I open carried in that store probably a hundred times. No one ever said a word other than to compliment me on my carry choice.
    Mike, I used to shop in that one all the time before I moved to Florida. This was before I ever got my CWL. My experiences in Memphis growing up led me and my wife to get our CWLs in Florida. We love Costco, but with this new information I'm torn as to what to do. We both carry concealed and have never been made, but I'm not sure if I want to give them any more money even though they're one of the best stores around.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links