I didn't know about Costco until today...

This is a discussion on I didn't know about Costco until today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by redwood66 He asked why no sign was posted and the manager told him they do not need to post one but can ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: I didn't know about Costco until today...

Quote Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
    He asked why no sign was posted and the manager told him they do not need to post one but can just ask him to leave.

Now if you ask me this is chicken doo doo - if it is your policy then have the set big enough to post it letting patrons decide if they want to give you their money based on your position. Nothing in their terms and conditions online say no weapons.
    In other words, they haven't posted a sign because they don't actually want to exclude people from carrying into the store, but if you are dumb enough to start scaring people by revealing your weapon then they feel obligated to ask you to leave for political reasons.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by evolve View Post
    This is a crappy situation, but to conceal a weapon means to make sure not everyone in the store knows its there.
    While this may be the case where you live, here in North Idaho you might as well assume that at least 80% of the people you meet have some kind of firearm or weapon on their person, either concealed or open carrying (OC is common here). Our CCW permit is called Concealed Weapon Permit to cover any knife, dirk, or dagger longer than 3" that you may wish to carry. It seems however that lately the other 20% are the ones who run to tell the manager "there is a man with a gun in your store and I am uncomfortable."

BTW my sons are both at Corry and have been warned by the base commander to stay out of the local areas due to criminal activity like shooting jogging sailors.
    Woman With A Gun

Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession. - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    but if you are dumb enough to start scaring people by revealing your weapon then they feel obligated to ask you to leave for political reasons.
    By all means lets tiptoe around the scared people. And their policy is the topic here - no need for calling people dumb.
    Woman With A Gun

Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession. - George Washington

When the wife & I were looking to join a wholesale club we had a choice between BJ's & Costco's. Even though BJ's was a longer drive, due to the anti-gun policy of Costco the choice was easy.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Another good reason I pocket carry a 642 w/+Ps. No matter how I "bend over" or what clothes I wear, nobody kniows I carry. Tennessee is OC and CC but at 68 years old I learned "discression is the better part of valor" a long time ago. Read Sun Tzu btw, you knowing you have the edge and the other guy not knowing it is the "mother" of tactical advantage. My opponent is going down long before he learns that "Grandpa" is armed.

Wish I had read Sun Tsu a long time ago. Life would have been easier!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Here in Texas an accidental viewing of a conceiled handgun is a HUGE no no (considered brandishing and is on the list of things that they can revoke your ccw license for). I dont agree but from a leo's stand point (I'm not leo but just imagining here), I can imagine how much a nusance it would be for many officers responding to a call describing a man with a gun, only to find out a ccw guys' shirt rode up. Just imagine the 911 call,"man with a gun at costco," and what kind of leo reaponse would be given. Now please dont take this as an attack on your friend I make mistakes too, but thank god costco ONLY asked him to leave. I think costco probably did the only thing they could do. No matter how stupid the complaining customer was, technically they did nothing wrong. Imagine the response had costco not asked your buddy to leave and that same paranoid customer saw your buddy 5 isles later after making the complaint. I would give you decent odds that it would have made the evenng news, and there is publicity we dont need. Sucks for your buddy but that was about the only response costco could have given to appease the idiots out there.

Not to be a jerk or anything but I guess I am not making myself clear. I could care less about the issue of the shirt riding up or being told my friend needs to be more careful. Frankly I am glad that we don't live where some of you do if you have to be paranoid about what people might do if they accidentally or obviously (OC) see a pistol on someone's hip. That is just not the case here (at least yet). I have 2 gun ranges within 2 miles of my house, one indoor (it actually won best range in US at 2011 SHOT show) and one indoor/outdoor with rifle range. There are 5 within 15 miles of my house.

My point is a secret or quiet corporate policy that it seems by some of the posts here that I was not the only one unaware of. I am glad I was able to pass along information to some of you who, like me, will choose to spend their money elsewhere.
    Last edited by redwood66; April 23rd, 2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Woman With A Gun

Your not being a jerk, I'm just not sure what costco or any large scale shopping center could do different. I wish we lived in aworld where a store manager could call an idiot an idiot, tell them that person has the right to defend themselves, tell them their being rediculusly paranoid, but in the world we live in you can't be suprised when it's the idiots that get pandered to. For the sake of discussion, what do you think a store manager should do when faced with a complaint from an over paranoid idiot?

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Your not being a jerk, I'm just not sure what costco or any large scale shopping center could do different. I wish we lived in aworld where a store manager could call an idiot an idiot, tell them that person has the right to defend themselves, tell them their being rediculusly paranoid, but in the world we live in you can't be suprised when it's the idiots that get pandered to. For the sake of discussion, what do you think a store manager should do when faced with a complaint from an over paranoid idiot?
    If it is corporate policy then he did what he was supposed to do as the manager. Not saying anything about what he did. Again just taken aback by the policy.
    Woman With A Gun

Ok next question, are you positive this is a coporate policy or the actions of a manager put on the spot by an idiot (not your buddy, the complainer.)

Ok just saw the post on page 2 about the firearms policy of costco and Im fully with you. They took an obvious anti gun stance so now i dont see any reason to shop there.

I find it interesting that Costco sells gun safes but is anti-gun. Only one store is posted in CO and it is astrange worded sign. It says something like I know you will respect Costco's no weapon policy and not carry a firearm or edged tool.

A couple years ago I was made aware that my local costco had a sign posted (not very obvious) that says no weapons including knives and guns (they do sell knives).
    I had already been CCing there for several years.
    I called and asked to speak to a manager with the intention of telling them I would not shop there anymore if I could not carry.
    A woman came on the phone and I asked her what the policy was.
    She said "no guns"
    I said "what if one has a permit to carry"
    She said "oh--that's ok"
    That was good enouigh for me--I continue to CC there

It must be up to the manager to make the decision. I only know of one in Colorado that is posted. It's the one in Aurora. I haven't been to all the others but at least four others. I also think several places post thinking it will stop gang bangers and riff-raff from carring weapons into the store and getting into a confrontation. They just don't think it through. Sometimes they don't mean to ban permit holders, off-duty LEO, or LEOSA holders. Other times they get pressure from insurance companies and they intentionaly post bogus signs (ie. non-30.06 in TX).

Just read the Costco policy which a member posted on page 2. I really never knew that Costco had a policy prohibiting firearms in their store. However, now that I haver read their policy....I guess I am still 'good to go'.
    merlin82plus likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links