I didn't know about Costco until today...

This is a discussion on I didn't know about Costco until today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems that I have been wholly and blissfully unaware about Costco's policy on concealed weapons until today. A friend and also my husband's coworker ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: I didn't know about Costco until today...

It seems that I have been wholly and blissfully unaware about Costco's policy on concealed weapons until today.

A friend and also my husband's coworker carries everywhere he goes. He is a retired Army MSgt who was a sapper. Well it seems his overshirt rode up when reaching for something on a shelf exposing a portion of his SOB 1911. Another patron complained to a manager and our friend was asked to leave. He asked why no sign was posted and the manager told him they do not need to post one but can just ask him to leave.

Now if you ask me this is chicken doo doo - if it is your policy then have the set big enough to post it letting patrons decide if they want to give you their money based on your position. Nothing in their terms and conditions online say no weapons. I am still unsure if I will cancel my membership. This is Idaho and we all have at least one firearm in this state I think. I will probably still carry into their store while I make up my mind on canceling.
    Woman With A Gun

Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession. - George Washington

Don't know about Idaho. Here in Missouri, if asked to leave, state law requires you to comply. If the store's not posted, the policy is to kiss the behind of the patron who complained.
    With all due respect to your colleague, he should have had better self awareness. He's a retired veteran and shouldn't be reaching like that. "Back problems" <wink> That's why they employ those helpful young people.

hmm would have been cool if the guy was buying in bulk and had like a few hundred pounds of merchandise on a cart with the intention of spending like 1K. He could have been like "ok well I guess Sam's Club gets my business today...have fun putting all that stuff back..."

:)
    oneshot likes this.
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Don't know about Idaho. Here in Missouri, if asked to leave, state law requires you to comply. If the store's not posted, the policy is to kiss the behind of the patron who complained.
    With all due respect to your colleague, he should have had better self awareness. He's a retired veteran and shouldn't be reaching like that. "Back problems" <wink> That's why they employ those helpful young people.
    Law is same in Idaho if they ask you to leave. My beef is - post it if it is your policy so I can decide not to give you my money. Now that I know that is probably exactly what I will do.
    remington79 likes this.
    Woman With A Gun

Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession. - George Washington

VIP Member
    There have been a few threads here about costco’s anti-gun policy, they are vehemently anti-gun and could care less about the 2A. With that in mind I will spend my money at Sam’s Club instead.
    Last edited by msgt/ret; April 22nd, 2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: spelling
    Dal1Celt and PatAz like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
    Law is same in Idaho if they ask you to leave. My beef is - post it if it is your policy so I can decide not to give you my money. Now that I know that is probably exactly what I will do.
    I am pretty sure that is the law everywhere. Private business means the right to regulate weapons possession on property. Of course as you mentioned you have the option of shopping elsewhere, so I say why not!? Again, if the places I patronize don't care about my personal safety then they can go out of business for all I care.
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

The other way to look at this is that perhaps the manager at your particular store isn't all that crazy about the no guns policy and has decided that he won't post and won't take any action unless another customer complains.
    If I managed a store with a corporate no guns policy that's what I would do.

Which store in Idaho? I go to Twin quite often and frequent the Costco there. Haven't seen any signs and have carried there a few times.
    G30SF XD45Tactical

No disrespect to the op but when I carry concealed it is my responsibility to make sure I stay that way under any and all conditions of movement. There's no OC in Florida so I have just gotten used to adjusting my clothing and my movements to suit the situation. I've carried a million times at costco and have never been made. In fact since I've started carrying in 1999 I've never been made unless I chose to disclose (rarely if ever). To me the element of surprise is just as important tactically as having the weapon to begin with. At my age I needed all the advantages I can get!
    IWLAFART likes this.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Concealed means concealed.

I'm just surprised that some other Idahoan complained about the gun! Must have been one of those left coast immigrants or something.

I agree with those who say "keep it concealed". But NONE of us should be shopping at Costco after what happened to Erik Scott in Vegas. The police got a MWAG call from store personnel, and in that call he was made out to be a maniac. The store was evacuated, a store employee had to point the "maniac" out to the police as he was exiting the building, and the end result was Erik being shot to death. Lots of details are in question as to who was responsible - all parties share some blame most likely, including Erik - but the bottom line is clearly Costco does not support 2A rights. Forget Costco.
    Last edited by Paco; April 22nd, 2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Language workaround
    oneshot likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Forget Costco
    My thoughts exactly-I used to spend a lot of money there but after learning of their policy I dropped out.
    Last edited by Paco; April 22nd, 2011 at 08:35 PM.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Any store can ask you to leave, and it doesn't have to be about a firearm...maybe just your attitude (I'm speaking in general, not referring to the OP). If they ask you to leave, just do it. It wouldn't be fun to be charged with 'armed trespassing'. I'd just never shop there again until THEIR attitude changed.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by merlin82plus View Post
    I agree with those who say "keep it concealed". But NONE of us should be shopping at Costco after what happened to Erik Scott in Vegas. The police got a MWAG call from store personnel, and in that call he was made out to be a maniac. The store was evacuated, a store employee had to point the "maniac" out to the police as he was exiting the building, and the end result was Erik being shot to death. Lots of details are in question as to who was responsible - all parties share some blame most likely, including Erik - but the bottom line is clearly Costco does not support 2A rights. Forget Costco.
    That story sounds more like it was the cops fault not costco.
    Last edited by Paco; April 22nd, 2011 at 08:37 PM.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links